Craftsman lawnmower B&S engine replacement.

Oddjob

Threads
I would take the engine off the deck and open it up. It's most likely the rod seized to the crank. Get a replacement rod and clean the aluminum off the crank with acid and polish it back to new. It can probably be repaired for $50.
Nothing to lose by taking a look inside the engine. Hubba has to remove the engine in any case, so taking a few more bolts out is not adding much work. I would do it with grandson’s participation so he can see what oil starvation does to an engine and so he can see how an engine works. Could be a nice project for the boys.

Threads
Well, I hope your grandson learned a lot by all this.

For a lawn mower like his, a dealer in replacement engines should be able to know what fits. Has anyone tried the replacement engines from Harbor Freight?

Installation of replacement engine into a lawn mower should be straightforward.

I replaced a worn-out B&S engine on a MTD edger with a Predator from Harbor Freight. Been working great for a few years now, although it takes a few pulls to start.

Last edited:

Jack3q

Forum Newbie
Threads
That is a push mower... Is this really worth the time or are you looking for a project with your grandson? Check your local repair shop and see if you can get a motor off a discard /abandoned unit.

Vic bellan

Forum Newbie
Threads
I hope I am posting this in the right place, My Grandson ran his Craftsman mower dry of oil, and it locked up. I want to replace the engine I need help finding the right engine and any other advice that you guys can provide. Model 247.378330 B&S platinum 7.25 163cc
Don't give up on engine yet, put some oil in and in cylinders , and use breaker bar and socket to loosen up & turn, sometimes they can be saved ( I just did one )

g-man57

Threads
Sorry - can't help with engine replacement. But your grandson's mishap reminds me of a similar issue I had.

A friend from work (single mom, new home owner) called to say she got a new Craftsman snow blower and asked if I could show her how it works and get it started.

It was assembled and delivered by Sears to her home. This was quite a few years ago - the first AC starter I had seen. So I looked it over and out of habit, pulled the dip stick. That machine was delivered without an ounce of oil in the engine. I was so glad the owner called me - if she had read the manual, plugged the machine into AC and tried to start it - instant seize.

Like a firearm, always check to see if it's loaded. An engine, always check the oil. I know most on this board would have check the oil in that snow blower. But it's just a reminder.

geogeiges

Forum Newbie
Threads
I hope I am posting this in the right place, My Grandson ran his Craftsman mower dry of oil, and it locked up. I want to replace the engine I need help finding the right engine and any other advice that you guys can provide. Model 247.378330 B&S platinum 7.25 163cc
Call Equipitron, Floyd in tech support will give options, he's great!

cleverlever

Forum Newbie
Threads
Nothing to lose by taking a look inside the engine. Hubba has to remove the engine in any case, so taking a few more bolts out is not adding much work. I would do it with grandson’s participation so he can see what oil starvation does to an engine and so he can see how an engine works. Could be a nice project for the boys.

MyBillyC

Forum Newbie
Threads
You might get lucky and find a mower being junked by a neighbor, friend, coworker or? that you can cannibalize for its long block. It would have to be the same OHV engine with the same shaft dimensions to work. It would just be a case of transferring the working parts from the blown up motor onto the one you found. Just check the one you found to make sure it is not seized and has compression. Good little project for the grandson. Good Luck!

cleverlever

Forum Newbie
Threads
My experience on seizures not preceded by knocking is the rings seize to the bore. Some times they will free up if you whack the crank shaft bolt or the blade.. Wise to squirt some lubricant in the cylinder first

Robnjay

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, I hope your grandson learned a lot by all this.

For a lawn mower like his, a dealer in replacement engines should be able to know what fits. Has anyone tried the replacement engines from Harbor Freight?

Installation of replacement engine into a lawn mower should be straightforward.
I have a Snapper 21” self propelled walk behind that is at least 20 years old. About 17 or 18 years ago I replaced the Briggs engine with a Harbor Freight Predator 6 hp engine that cost me $99 at the time. I change the oil every year with full synthetic. It always starts on the first pull (for all these years). Supposedly a Honda knockoff. I had to replace a spring clamp on the hose behind the primer bulb - the only repair I’ve ever made to this engine