Craftsman 54" mower grass buildup in deck

fred93

Threads
I have a similar set u
Yikes! Maybe a bit too obvious, but do you prop up the plastic deflector on the discharge side when you mow? I use a bungee and drilled a hole in the deflector and I can hold it up at a 45 degree angle which throws the cuttings way off and helps keep the deck from building up a bunch of clippings. There is definitely a lot of wet grass in the photos, and, the three blade deck has to work perfectly to eject those cuttings. I run Gator/G3 mulching blades and love them! They are great. It could be you need to go over the field with deck as high as it can go and then go back and do it again with the deck lower. I have to do that on high grass in my fields and sometimes I have to go over it a few times to get it cut. If you go over it with the deck all the way up on day, then let that cut grass dry for a day or two, it's a lot easier on the second lap.
I have a similar set up on my mower. And I move the deflector up all of the way as much as I can depending on the wind!

Attachments

• IMG_2735.JPG
    IMG_2735.JPG
    763.6 KB · Views: 3

fred93

Threads
If you want to discharge and have a cleaner deck that's easier to clean , remove any baffles and pitch them in a dumpster .
So I should remove the baffles in the attached photo?

Attachments

• 2023.08.09  deck.JPG
    2023.08.09 deck.JPG
    543.7 KB · Views: 6

RayMcD

Threads
I have a 17 year old YS4500 mower. I have about 2 acres of grass to cut. I am using mulching blades. My problem is that the deck gets a buildup of grass clippings. I know that if the grass is wet this buildup will always happen. But this happens even of the grass is fairly dry.

The pix below was after cutting about one acre of slightly wet grass. But like I said this happens wet or dry.

Am I just needing to clean the deck after every time that I cut the grass?View attachment 66376View attachment 66377
Exactly the same kind of results I had on my Bobcat 48". No more Gator or mulching style blades for me. Cheers, Ray

fred93

Threads
Couple of things I see. First, may be just the angle of the picture, but those blades don’t look like mulching blades. Don’t see a very big wing on them. Second, can you post a picture of your chute blocker? Third, what size deck do you have, as I’m only finding 2 blade decks? Finally, please start raising the unit from the front. Raising the rear will cause oil to enter the cylinders. When you post back please include unit numbers from under the seat.

Couple of things I see. First, may be just the angle of the picture, but those blades don’t look like mulching blades. Don’t see a very big wing on them. Second, can you post a picture of your chute blocker? Third, what size deck do you have, as I’m only finding 2 blade decks? Finally, please start raising the unit from the front. Raising the rear will cause oil to enter the cylinders. When you post back please include unit numbers from under the seat.
Here are some photos. The deck is 54" (three blades). Good suggestion about raising from the front-thanks. 2023.08.09 LOF CLEAN & PAINT DECK REPAIR WORN PARTS (10).JPG2023.08.09 LOF CLEAN & PAINT DECK REPAIR WORN PARTS (12).JPGmower deck showing blades.JPGIMG_2736.JPG

fred93

Threads
Exactly the same kind of results I had on my Bobcat 48". No more Gator or mulching style blades for me. Cheers, Ray
Can you give me a blade name?

fred93

Threads
If the underside of the deck is not smooth, the grass will not circulate very well. Make sure the uplift on your blades are not worn down. If they are worn down, the blades should have been discarded long ago. Keep your blades sharp and balanced.
What is a good blade for my 54" deck. Where can I buy a balancing tool?

fred93

Threads
My 54" clogged every time I mowed. I eliminated the high lift blades. End of problem.
What are the blades that you are using now?

fred93

Threads
I have this problem also, and here is how I solve it.

1. I do not use mulching blades. I understand the purpose, but I've never had good results. I use the blades with a slight lift. Nothing radical. It's just a personal preference based on what has worked well compared to any other "exotic" blades. Simple light light blades.
2. if the grass is wet (sometimes unavoidable as I have a very large piece of property that must be cut rain or shine every single day), then I make two passes. the initial higher pass and another at the lower level. I do not follow the same line. It takes longer but that is what it takes sometimes to get a good clean even cut...sometimes working the second flight at 45 degrees!
3. I keep the blades sharp DAILY. Your mileage may vary, but one of the keys to a good cut and proper discharge = sharp blades! Make sure also the belt is NOT SLIPPING. check that belt pulley tensioner. If the belt is slipping, you end up cutting but not properly discharging. You want those blades to cut fast and keep the momentum to move it OUT!
4. A slight deck tilt that is lower in the front than the back is a good way to make a very clean cut..However, if that pitch angle is TOO sharp, then you end up "digging" and that can create buildup. For my 60 inch deck, the pitch is only 1/3 inch less in front than rear. That's all it really needs. Anything more than that and you run the risk of "carving" and the cut grass isn't getting ejected correctly.
5. always check the tire pressure in front and rear...if you have front tires flat or leaking, this will change the pitch of the deck.
So what blades should I buy?