Craftsman 54" mower grass buildup in deck

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Running 1/4” blades on a machine designed to be fitted with 1/8” blades adds extra drag on the engine as well.

Cajun power

Threads
I have this problem also, and here is how I solve it.

1. I do not use mulching blades. I understand the purpose, but I've never had good results. I use the blades with a slight lift. Nothing radical. It's just a personal preference based on what has worked well compared to any other "exotic" blades. Simple light light blades.
2. if the grass is wet (sometimes unavoidable as I have a very large piece of property that must be cut rain or shine every single day), then I make two passes. the initial higher pass and another at the lower level. I do not follow the same line. It takes longer but that is what it takes sometimes to get a good clean even cut...sometimes working the second flight at 45 degrees!
3. I keep the blades sharp DAILY. Your mileage may vary, but one of the keys to a good cut and proper discharge = sharp blades! Make sure also the belt is NOT SLIPPING. check that belt pulley tensioner. If the belt is slipping, you end up cutting but not properly discharging. You want those blades to cut fast and keep the momentum to move it OUT!
4. A slight deck tilt that is lower in the front than the back is a good way to make a very clean cut..However, if that pitch angle is TOO sharp, then you end up "digging" and that can create buildup. For my 60 inch deck, the pitch is only 1/3 inch less in front than rear. That's all it really needs. Anything more than that and you run the risk of "carving" and the cut grass isn't getting ejected correctly.
5. always check the tire pressure in front and rear...if you have front tires flat or leaking, this will change the pitch of the deck.

Threads
I have gator blades and a mulching baffle on my JD. In March I pressure washed underneath the deck & sharpened the blades, then treated the bottom with this:

61SssDXatqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I have mowed my 2-acre yard every week since then without cleaning or sharpening, and it passes the yard boss's (my wife) critical inspection.

That spray Teflon is pricey ($20), but I should get a few treatments out of it assuming the nozzle doesn't clog up. D@mn stuff was likely 10 bucks 3 years ago.

Good luck & Happy mowing!

Last edited:

Gord Baker

Threads
That is a lot of build up. Yearly I remove the deck, clean it and when deck is upside down I slosh Used Oil over all surfaces. Use a device to hold up the discharge chute. Bungee works well for me. Do not wait until the grass is long before cutting and make sure the grass is very dry. Sharp Single Blades. Forget the Mulching.

STEVES

Threads
When mulching only cut when grass is dry and no more than an inch at a time. This is the law of mulching and everyone is breaking the law! :eek::rolleyes::)

rdedrick

Threads
Iv'e been using mulching blades on my Ferris 61" deck for years. Wet or dry. Iv'e never seen this kind of build up

Forum Newbie
Threads
My 54" clogged every time I mowed. I eliminated the high lift blades. End of problem.

Davenj4f

Threads
I have a 17 year old YS4500 mower. I have about 2 acres of grass to cut. I am using mulching blades. My problem is that the deck gets a buildup of grass clippings. I know that if the grass is wet this buildup will always happen. But this happens even of the grass is fairly dry.

The pix below was after cutting about one acre of slightly wet grass. But like I said this happens wet or dry.

Am I just needing to clean the deck after every time that I cut the grass?View attachment 66376View attachment 66377
If the underside of the deck is not smooth, the grass will not circulate very well. Make sure the uplift on your blades are not worn down. If they are worn down, the blades should have been discarded long ago. Keep your blades sharp and balanced.

Timbuktu

Threads
Mulching blades don't work very well in tall grass. Need to mow more often when using them.

Timbuktu

Threads
Mulching blades don't work very well in tall grass. Need to mow more often when using them.