Competition

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
There are some new companies around here for landscaping. As much as I don't like competition, I tell myself that there are a lot of lawns to mow in one town and that one company cannot do them all. So, I do my best at having a personalised service at a reasonable price. I aint gonna work for chicken nuggets.

lawnbarbers

Threads
I agree competition is always good. I set my prices on what I need to make to cover my expenses and pay myself what I feel is right. If I can't do that I may as we'll pack it in and get a job with no headaches. I don't plan on getting rich, maybe make some if I ever sell.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't mind competition :) there plenty of lawns to go around. Besides most big companies wouldn't touch my lawns for the same price and most wouldn't do as good a job :) its the kid down the street and the unlicenced jackhole in a Toyota that are my major problems :)

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree competition is always good. I set my prices on what I need to make to cover my expenses and pay myself what I feel is right. If I can't do that I may as we'll pack it in and get a job with no headaches. I don't plan on getting rich, maybe make some if I ever sell.

I don't understand the "getting rich part". Are you saying doing landscaping doesn't pay?

I don't mind competition :) there plenty of lawns to go around. Besides most big companies wouldn't touch my lawns for the same price and most wouldn't do as good a job :) its the kid down the street and the unlicenced jackhole in a Toyota that are my major problems :)

Well, having a big company is a little tricky, but with the right staff, you can still keep the quality.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't mind competition :) there plenty of lawns to go around. Besides most big companies wouldn't touch my lawns for the same price and most wouldn't do as good a job :) its the kid down the street and the unlicensed jackhole in a Toyota that are my major problems :)

There are a lot of those Toyota type running around right now or advertising on CL but they never last to long and I wouldn't dare even guess how many are running around without a license. The thing is though you can find any number of big company's that don't do quality work, I don't know which is worse.

BHLC

Threads
Wait a second!!! I drive a Toyota!

edd

Threads
competition is thick around here too.......wages generally low in this part of the country so many get in because they hear they can make 30 an hour or more and work part time........no license or insurance sometimes.....if i will cut for 50 they will do it for 40 ......competition keeps us on top of our game but unfair competition [ no ins..license....etc ] only damages the industry

lawnbarbers

Threads
I don't understand the "getting rich part". Are you saying doing landscaping doesn't pay? Well, having a big company is a little tricky, but with the right staff, you can still keep the quality.
what I mean by the "getting rich" is I charge what I feel is fair to cover my overhead...I won't lowball to get the job...lawn maintenance is a service which means its a convinence and as long as people can afford the price they will and if they can't afford they will look for cheaper

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
what I mean by the "getting rich" is I charge what I feel is fair to cover my overhead...I won't lowball to get the job...lawn maintenance is a service which means its a convinence and as long as people can afford the price they will and if they can't afford they will look for cheaper

Lol then they call me :) I want to make enough to be comfortable. Not interested in getting bigger. Don't want to hire anyone ill fill up my 7am to 4pm with as many houses as I can then stop :)

lawnbarbers

Threads
Lol then they call me :) I want to make enough to be comfortable. Not interested in getting bigger. Don't want to hire anyone ill fill up my 7am to 4pm with as many houses as I can then stop :)
thats why being in business for yourself is the best!!! We all do our own thing and play a fair game...lol...I think that's the issue on price not everyone gets the right insurance follow the same laws...if the competition is charging lower I better find out what they are doing different to be able to charge less ...maybe I could make more doing the same work...but I won't lower my price..my crew is worth there hourly rate