Cleaning The Cooling System vs Servicing the Air Cleaner

Abrahamm

Threads
  • / Cleaning The Cooling System vs Servicing the Air Cleaner
In the manual for my Toro MX5060, I've come across something that has me confused.

Under the heading it says: "Cleaning the Cooling System": Remove the air intake screen (I have no idea what that is...?) air cleaner cover and fan housing.

Clean debris and grass from the parts

Install the air intake screen, air cleaner cover and fan housing

At first, I thought this was in regard to the air filter and it's components, yet that info is on a completely separate page, with a separate title with different instructions:

"Servicing the Air Cleaner" which goes into how to lift the cover to remove the hose clamp securing the air cleaner assembly to then loosen the hose clamp and remove the paper element.

So what gives?

The info for the above is on different pages, yet seem to address (maybe) the same thing, yet I'm not certain...

Thoughts?

Thanks!

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Under your shroud the flywheel/fan needs to be clean in the starter bowl and under and around the fan do not get your coil wet. Also the heat sinks around the engine block need to be clear of debris helps keep your unit cool.

Abrahamm

Threads
exotion,

I very much appreciate your reply, sadly, I don't understand it...

"Under your shroud the flywheel/fan needs to be clean in the starter bowl"

Huh?

"Heat sinks"?

Huh?

Would you please explain that in layman's terms i.e., for a guy (like me) who doesn't speak the language, ah, so to speak.

Thanks!

possum

Threads
The shroud is the engine flywheel cover. The flywheel has a fan built into it that moves the air. The fins in this fan and the area all under the engine cover needs to be clean of grass, dirt, grease etc. The cover itself needs to be clean, the slotted area or screened area needs to be clean. The heat sinks are the finned parts of the engine. All those fins and the engine itself needs to be kept clean. The air cleaner cover is removed to get access to the engine and the engine cover so you can clean. You are not removing the air filter in this case, you are removing the air filter cover and the engine cover to gain access to the flywheel area under the cover. The starter engages the flywhell and that area will be cleaned as you clean the whole area under the engine cover.

Abrahamm

Threads
Possum,

Thank you for an explanation even I can understand.

The manual states the cooling system cleaning should be done "before every mowing."

That sounds like overkill...and not something I've ever heard or read of before. (though I'm sure it's plenty obvious I've got a lot to learn about mower maintenance)

Of course, I suppose a large percentage of the information in the manual is made up of "CYA" suggestions hoping to prevent any future litigation or for warranty disclaiming reasons.

Possum - thanks again for your help for this here neophyte!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
exotion,

Huh?

"Heat sinks"?

Huh?

Would you please explain that in layman's terms i.e., for a guy (like me) who doesn't speak the language, ah, so to speak.

Thanks!

It should tell you in your manual exactly how to clean your cooling system. I believe that particular engine, the Kawasaki 23hp you'll have to remove the shroud (engine cover ) to clean the cooling fins and if I were you I'd use an air hose to remove all the grass, debris and anything else that has happened to end up inside. Not Water

AS far as the air filter there is two places on the back of the engine cover below the Kawasaki emblem that says LIFT HERE just lift it at those two points the cover is hinged so I don't believe you can take it completely off that will expose the air filter, just turn the thumb screw and remove the air filter. Remove the foam element and wash it with dish soap and water and let it dry, blow out the filter itself wit the air hose to clean or you can replace if you wish. OH and before you reinstall the foam filter oil it lightly. The whole process is really very simple.

Last edited:

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
exotion,

Huh?

"Heat sinks"?

Huh?

Thanks!

Sorry thought it would be pretty clear my bad. And i agree that before every mow is probably overkill maybe every 10 - 15 hours of use.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Possum,

Thank you for an explanation even I can understand.

The manual states the cooling system cleaning should be done "before every mowing."

That sounds like overkill...and not something I've ever heard or read of before. (though I'm sure it's plenty obvious I've got a lot to learn about mower maintenance)

Of course, I suppose a large percentage of the information in the manual is made up of "CYA" suggestions hoping to prevent any future litigation or for warranty disclaiming reasons.

Possum - thanks again for your help for this here neophyte!

Cleaning the Air Intake screen should be done before daily use, in other words clean the screen on top of the motor only. The service interval for cleaning the cooling system which is different is every 100 hrs.

Abrahamm

Threads
Thanks everyone.

At this point, I've all of 3.4 hrs of experience on my ZTR and I love it!

We're at the hottest time of the year here in Texas and with no rain the grass isn't growing very fast. This was a plus in the past, but now I actually WANT the grass to grow cuz it's so much fun to mow now.

Who'd a thunk it...?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
water it more >.<