Changing blades

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I let the tips of the cut grass tell me. That usually equates to 15 to 25 cuts. If it's a dry season, the dust and dirt areas cause more edge wear.

We normally end up cutting a yard every 14 days. Many times those yards will have sticks and other things in the grass that is covered so that you don't see it. Most times everything we cut will be brutal on a lawn mower especially if it is a rainy summer. That is why we have to sharpen blades so much. It would be nice to cut well manicure lawns that we could cut every few days and blades stay sharp for long periods of time. Unfortunately it does not happen for us.

Threads
How long do you guys get on blades before you have to sharpen them? We keep three to four sets of blades and swap out a sharp set daily. Is this average for those of you that run commercial?

I have 3 sets to swap a sharp set out every week, and clean out the deck while I have the mower jacked up.

X-man

Threads
Like I said before, I sharpen my blades several times a year, and I replace them every spring. I have a tendency to neglect my blades.:thumbdown:
But the thing is, I've never had a problem with my lawns looking like crap.

On average, I mow 30 lawns per week, each lawn takes about 10 minutes to mow (I mow in a trailer park, in case anybody didn't know).

I also scrape out the mowing deck each time I (A) have the mowers flipped over, or.. (B) have the mowing deck removed from the tractor.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just changed my blades on my husqvarna 2448 Got a new set for $30 would have bought 10 sets from him but he only had the one.

$20 a set for the cub cadet.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just changed my blades on my husqvarna 2448 Got a new set for $30 would have bought 10 sets from him but he only had the one. $20 a set for the cub cadet.

Our Kubota dealer has blades at $30 for my 60" deck and $27 for the 48" deck. Oregon blades.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
That is a good price!

Yep it is. A parts house named Covington Heavy Duty has blades at a comparable price to that as well. They stock or can order about any kind you need. The dealer I use sells Kubota, Scag, and Exmart, mowers. I think those are the only blades they sell.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yep it is. A parts house named Covington Heavy Duty has blades at a comparable price to that as well. They stock or can order about any kind you need. The dealer I use sells Kubota, Scag, and Exmart, mowers. I think those are the only blades they sell.

Lucky you! I wish there was more mower support around here. The U.S.A knows how to do business!