Carb float not sitting right

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Those are two different needles, used on two different carbs. That means one of two things are going on. 1. Someone has switched carbs on this engine. 2. Your model for this engine is wrong due to poor eyesight or someone has switched shrouds. Briggs has 3 different needles with viton tips. Need to do some detective work.
That's what I suspected.
Now I have seen the Aftermarket Chinese carbs use a Viton tipped needle, on replacement carbs. So it's the correct carb but the Chinese just use a different needle
Set up

heyinway

Threads
No seat required on that carb. None when taken apart, replacement one falls out.... it's trying to tell ya....I don't belong !!! Without seat, float is level.... isn't it ?

MowerNick

Threads
Your carb looks like it could be aftermarket like from amazon. An original briggs carb for that model would not use a brass seat.

Threads
Are you sure there is no seat in there? Should see a silver color in the opening, not a rusty color. Also the needle is askew, not straight up n down like it should be. If that is as far as possibly to push the new seat in, there needs to be something blocking it, like the old seat.
It looks like the float is on upside down. The part of the float that the needle fits into is the bottom of the float. The bottom of the float should face the carb. The picture shows it backwards.

scoyote

Threads
Pressed in brass seats do not require a rubber seat--the needle have a viton (rubber ) tip and a conventional seat isn't needed. If you're trying to push a rubber seat in there yuo will never get your float right

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It looks like the float is on upside down. The part of the float that the needle fits into is the bottom of the float. The bottom of the float should face the carb. The picture shows it backwards.
I wish posters stop barking when they have no idea how the equipment is assembled. The float itself is correctly installed.

If you had read through the whole thread you have found out we done figure out the problem. It is an aftermarket carburetor someone stuck on the engine that uses a Viton rubber tip and a brass seat where as the original carburetor use a rubber seat and a all metal needle valve. The OP is left wither finding a compatibly needle valve or installing a new carburetor.

etbrown4

Threads
As a guy whose worked on small engines for over 60 years, I think it's possible but unlikely that you'll figure out your carb through a forum.

Your best bet is to pitch the old one and buy a new one on ebay or amazon for about $15. I know some guys like this or that brand. Ive bought 3 or 4 dozen and never had one fail.

Worth a try and you'll save lots of time and frustration.

rhkraft

Threads
If you are holding the carb upside down, the float is on upside down. The float looks like it is on upside down because the top of the float is usually level with the carb body when the carb is held upside down and gravity holds the needle valve closed. The angle position of the float is wrong if the carb is held upside down. Or if the float is unusual and has the float attach plate on the bottom of the float, not likely, but then the photo may be upside down. Item next: if the valve seat is metal, then the needle valve must have the viton tip. Item last: I don't know how much time you have wasted on this carb. but you could get the illustrated parts breakdown for your machine to see if the this is the right carb. OR, You can buy a new carb on the net for about $25.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I replaced the float valve and seat on my Craftsman mower (B&S engine; 126M02-6863-F1-12012059; DOM Jan. 2012). I expected the float to be parallel to the carb bowl edge, but it's not. See pic. Float seat and needle are correct part number per my manual and doubled checked against internet resources (398188). New float valve is same length as prior one. Valve seat seated as much as possible, but falls out when the carb is turned over. Interestingly, there was no float seat found when I took it apart. Anyone have any ideas?

View attachment 66996

The needle you need is going to have a rubber tip. Before attaching it to the float, make sure it'll go in and out of the needle slot easily.
After installing correct needle, turn the carb as you have it in the first pic. The float should be level. And with your lips, blow into the fuel inlet to see if it leaks air.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OP hasn’t been around for since Oct. 14 and I doubt he’ll be back. 2+2 doesn’t equal 4 in this post and I think someone switched carbs on him and he doesn’t want to admit it. Unless he comes back with more info, trying to help him is a waste of time.