Carb float not sitting right

acat

Forum Newbie
Threads
I replaced the float valve and seat on my Craftsman mower (B&S engine; 126M02-6863-F1-12012059; DOM Jan. 2012). I expected the float to be parallel to the carb bowl edge, but it's not. See pic. Float seat and needle are correct part number per my manual and doubled checked against internet resources (398188). New float valve is same length as prior one. Valve seat seated as much as possible, but falls out when the carb is turned over. Interestingly, there was no float seat found when I took it apart. Anyone have any ideas?

View attachment 66996

Attachments

• IMG_0825.jpg
    IMG_0825.jpg
    470.3 KB · Views: 56

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you remove the old seat? Here’s the procedure I use.

Needle and seat replacement.
Remove the carb, and then remove the float bowl. Check the float bowl jet (which is the bowl screw) and make sure the jets both horizontal and vertical are clean and open. Tip the carb upside down and remove the float pin and float with needle attached. Look in the float needle passage and you should see the red float seat at the bottom of the passage. This is where a #5 crotchet hook would come in handy as you need to remove this seat. If you have no hook, but compressed air, you can blow through the fuel inlet and try to pop the seat out. Put your thumb over the passage to prevent the seat from flying who knows where. No air or hook try bending a stiff paper clip to dig the seat out.

I would either give the carb a good 24 hour soaking or have it ultrasonically cleaned at this time.

With the seat out clean the passage way with carb cleaner. Now you must find a drill bit slightly smaller than the passage way, to be used to press in the new seat. Apply a very, very small amount of a very light lube to the new seat. 3-1 oil or lighter, to help seat it better. Carefully insert the new seat in the passage way with the rings on the seat down toward the carb body. Slowly and carefully force the seat down with the back end of the drill bit. Once it is seated, check to see that it did not flip and the rings are up. Next check to make sure that the float does not have any liquid in it. If it does, replace. If everything looks correct, attach the new needle to the float and install with the float pin centered. It everything is correct, the float should seat level to the carb body, when looking at it upside down. If everything looks good reattach the float bowl, making sure that both the bowl gasket and the nut gasket seal properly. Reinstall on the engine and test unit. Remember to have patience and take your time. Good luck, but I don't think you'll need it.

PS: On the side of some Tecumseh carbs you will find a plastic cover. Under this cover will be an idle jet. Remove it and check to see that the jet is open both horizontally and vertically. You should be able to push the old float needle wire through the vertical opening.

acat

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the inputs, Rivets. Everything you detailed I have already done, meticulously. As I mentioned in my post, there wasn't a seat upon disassembly. When you peer down into the float needle chamber, all you see is a metal orifice. See attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0827.jpg
    IMG_0827.jpg
    467.5 KB · Views: 48

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Are you sure there is no seat in there? Should see a silver color in the opening, not a rusty color. Also the needle is askew, not straight up n down like it should be. If that is as far as possibly to push the new seat in, there needs to be something blocking it, like the old seat.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
do you have a picture of the old needle?

acat

Forum Newbie
Threads

Attachments

• mower valve needles.jpg
    mower valve needles.jpg
    667.9 KB · Views: 24

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Those are two different needles, used on two different carbs. That means one of two things are going on. 1. Someone has switched carbs on this engine. 2. Your model for this engine is wrong due to poor eyesight or someone has switched shrouds. Briggs has 3 different needles with viton tips. Need to do some detective work.

woodstover

Threads
Thanks for the inputs, Rivets. Everything you detailed I have already done, meticulously. As I mentioned in my post, there wasn't a seat upon disassembly. When you peer down into the float needle chamber, all you see is a metal orifice. See attached.
The brass piece is the seat. It's built in to the carburetor. You won't necessarily use all the parts in a carb kit, they usually cover a few models.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Wood, the kit he purchased is not used on carbs with brass seats.