Buying my first riding mower / lawn tractor.

primerbulb120

Threads
Ok, I'm listening. What does $3k get me that $2300 won't?

If I told you, you'd want a 3K mower. :laughing:

Just joking. In general, you'll get a better quality unit with more features. Fabricated deck instead of stamped, sturdier frame, bigger tires, better hydros, you get the picture.

I did a search on your local Craigslist and came to the same conclusions you did. No promising deals. I guess I'm spoiled with Florida Craigslist where you can find 100+ ZTRs for sale at any time of year. :laughing:

If you decide to go new, I think you should purchase one of these units:

Toro Timecutter SS4225: https://www.mowersdirect.com/Toro-74721-Lawn-Mower/p15362.html

Cub Cadet RZT L 42: https://www.mowersdirect.com/Cub-Cadet-17BRCACS010-Lawn-Mower/p15453.html

As far as which one is better, I can't really say. They are very close as far as specs are concerned. Use the Mowers Direct comparison tool to compare the two and you'll see what I mean. I would probably go with the Toro because I like red better than yellow. :tongue: For you, it probably comes down to which one is more readily available. Parts support is probably cheaper and better for the Toro as well. Based on the pictures, I think the Toro would probably cut better due to deck design, but since I've never used either of these mowers I can't say for sure.

I would stay away from Husqvarna. Their commercial ZTRs are good units, but I'm not impressed with the quality and specs of their entry-level models. Just my :2cents:

Lawn Addict
Threads
Having had my Toro Timecutter 4260 since 8/2014, (although I only now have 63 hours on it.) It cuts beautifully & has never skipped a beat. I got mine new at year end sale at my local Toro Dealer because it was a discontinued model, last year to be able to get the Kawasaki engine in a 42" TimeCutter with the other bells & whistles..

I feel I got a killer deal.

Guy across the hollow has a Cub Z 42" I think, I don't know much else about his.

Noodles

Threads
If I told you, you'd want a 3K mower. :laughing:

Just joking. In general, you'll get a better quality unit with more features. Fabricated deck instead of stamped, sturdier frame, bigger tires, better hydros, you get the picture.

I did a search on your local Craigslist and came to the same conclusions you did. No promising deals. I guess I'm spoiled with Florida Craigslist where you can find 100+ ZTRs for sale at any time of year. :laughing:

If you decide to go new, I think you should purchase one of these units:

Toro Timecutter SS4225: https://www.mowersdirect.com/Toro-74721-Lawn-Mower/p15362.html

Cub Cadet RZT L 42: https://www.mowersdirect.com/Cub-Cadet-17BRCACS010-Lawn-Mower/p15453.html

As far as which one is better, I can't really say. They are very close as far as specs are concerned. Use the Mowers Direct comparison tool to compare the two and you'll see what I mean. I would probably go with the Toro because I like red better than yellow. :tongue: For you, it probably comes down to which one is more readily available. Parts support is probably cheaper and better for the Toro as well. Based on the pictures, I think the Toro would probably cut better due to deck design, but since I've never used either of these mowers I can't say for sure.

I would stay away from Husqvarna. Their commercial ZTRs are good units, but I'm not impressed with the quality and specs of their entry-level models. Just my :2cents:

Very funny - I have those two exact models saved in my cart at mowersdirect. Along with a few others. I'm actually leaning towards the CC, but maybe I like yellow and black :). I'll give the toro another look based on your recommendation and the one below you.

Is that site a good place to buy? Not sure if my dealer carries those models.

Noodles

Threads
I second the SS4225. I just could not get over the reverse lockout feature on the Cub Cadet. Also, I thinking their platform design is a bit too bold. Just a flat spot for you feet with a rest is all you need. They do a staggered or step up design that I found to be quite uncomfortable. The SS4225 has automatic brake, 1.5-4.5" cut, 22hp Kohler and very simple maintenance. One person on a smooth floor can take the deck off to clean or change blades and the accessories for them are not too expensive. I equipped mine with a rubber floor mat, hour meter and recycler kit and was still under $2900 out the door. Right now the Toro is $2499 which is the cheapest you will find it this season. I loved the cut it made on my lawn and I saw a huge difference in time to cut. My 1/4 acre lot took just over 20 minutes and that was only at the middle speed (due to recycler kit). Could have taken less time if I was side discharging. I know a lot of us had you convinced that the 46" cub XT1 was the way to go, but for a ZTR the cub falls down the list a bit in my opinion. At $2799 you could also get a Hustler Raptor with fabricated deck, but their lower than average blade tip speed would be a challenge in you want to b able to cut faster.

The CC zero turn also has the reverse lock feature? I didn't see that listed. Wouldn't that sort of defeat the benefit of a zero turn?

Gotta say I def had a preference for the CC, but you guys keep voting the toro. On paper they look very similar, but I'll trust you guys and give it strong consideration

Btw, thanks again to everyone for all the help. This has been great.

Noodles

Threads
I second the SS4225. I just could not get over the reverse lockout feature on the Cub Cadet. Also, I thinking their platform design is a bit too bold. Just a flat spot for you feet with a rest is all you need. They do a staggered or step up design that I found to be quite uncomfortable. The SS4225 has automatic brake, 1.5-4.5" cut, 22hp Kohler and very simple maintenance. One person on a smooth floor can take the deck off to clean or change blades and the accessories for them are not too expensive. I equipped mine with a rubber floor mat, hour meter and recycler kit and was still under $2900 out the door. Right now the Toro is $2499 which is the cheapest you will find it this season. I loved the cut it made on my lawn and I saw a huge difference in time to cut. My 1/4 acre lot took just over 20 minutes and that was only at the middle speed (due to recycler kit). Could have taken less time if I was side discharging. I know a lot of us had you convinced that the 46" cub XT1 was the way to go, but for a ZTR the cub falls down the list a bit in my opinion. At $2799 you could also get a Hustler Raptor with fabricated deck, but their lower than average blade tip speed would be a challenge in you want to b able to cut faster.

Also, is buying from mowersdirect a good idea if my local dealer doesn't have what I want?

cruzenmike

Threads
Also, is buying from mowersdirect a good idea if my local dealer doesn't have what I want?

I have never used them, but at the end of the day you have to consider just one thing; having a relationship with your dealer who will likely be the one either servicing or making repairs if needed. Yes you could save some money with the website, but how much and with what time to wait or what hassle to have when something isn't correct? The dealer's usually get stock in as needed or can order direct from the manufacturer. So long as you do not incur any additional expense from going the route of a dealer, have them order it. They are required under their dealer agreement with toro to assemble the unit and make sure that it runs and operates properly. You might also ask them to level the deck both ways and adjust the tire pressure per the manual so that you have absolutely nothing to do but start up and cut. Plus they deliver off of a trailer of via lift gate to you for minimal expense if you don't want to pick it up. The product is the same, but the overall experience of acquiring and using for the first time will change depending on where you purchase it from.

Noodles

Threads
I have never used them, but at the end of the day you have to consider just one thing; having a relationship with your dealer who will likely be the one either servicing or making repairs if needed. Yes you could save some money with the website, but how much and with what time to wait or what hassle to have when something isn't correct? The dealer's usually get stock in as needed or can order direct from the manufacturer. So long as you do not incur any additional expense from going the route of a dealer, have them order it. They are required under their dealer agreement with toro to assemble the unit and make sure that it runs and operates properly. You might also ask them to level the deck both ways and adjust the tire pressure per the manual so that you have absolutely nothing to do but start up and cut. Plus they deliver off of a trailer of via lift gate to you for minimal expense if you don't want to pick it up. The product is the same, but the overall experience of acquiring and using for the first time will change depending on where you purchase it from.

I think I'm misunderstanding something. Even if I buy online, couldn't I just go to the dealer for parts and service? I have to pay for it either way, right? Or does the dealer provide some sort of free service when I buy from them?

Don't get me wrong - I'd rather buy from a local dealer if the the price is the same. But comparing prices on the sites is leading me to believe that the dealer is going to cost more. I'd be happy to buy from them if they match the price.

Two other questions about the mower themselves:

The toro doesn't have an hour meter (Cub does) - will I regret not having one?

I need to be able to climb over the bricks that line my driveway - will that be an issue?

cruzenmike

Threads
I think I'm misunderstanding something. Even if I buy online, couldn't I just go to the dealer for parts and service? I have to pay for it either way, right? Or does the dealer provide some sort of free service when I buy from them?

Don't get me wrong - I'd rather buy from a local dealer if the the price is the same. But comparing prices on the sites is leading me to believe that the dealer is going to cost more. I'd be happy to buy from them if they match the price.

Two other questions about the mower themselves:

The toro doesn't have an hour meter (Cub does) - will I regret not having one?

I need to be able to climb over the bricks that line my driveway - will that be an issue?

Authorized Toro dealers should service the product so long as it was purchased new and you have proof of that purchase. As for the dealer relationship, just think of it like with cars. I buy 4 cars from Rob. I have an issue, Rob walks me to the service manager directly, helps explain my problem and I get taken care of. It's not to say you miss something by buying online, but dealing with local guy, and going back to the local guy may afford you some special treatment. It all depends on the size of the dealer and who you deal with. Imagine you walk in to the dealer with a 6 month old mower, that was shipped to you crated, assembled and set up by you, and now you have a problem. Then imagine the things these people say to themselves and each other after you leave. If you can honestly say that 100% of the time you will get the same quality of service, you are mistaken. It is in human nature to develop loyalty, and that loyalty is recognized and rewarded in most everything we do. That aside, no, the Toro does not include an hour meter but for $50 you can have one and they can be installed by you in just a few minutes (harness is already present on machine). This is important if you plan to follow maintenance as prescribed in the manual. You could surely do without if you know your average cutting time and how often you cut. As for the bricks, ground clearance will matter but I ask that you think of this.... Imagine trying to get the front wheels of a rear-heavy machine up and over the bricks, vs a front to middle-heavy machine up and over the bricks? I don't know how high the bricks stick up over the ground, but the front engine rider will at least do it safer if the brick are tall. If they are shorter you can do it with the ZTR. Go back to my post about a designated approach. You surely cannot be going up and down over and over throughout the cutting of the grass. So think about the easiest way of doing it; not necessarily relying on the mower to do all the work.

Noodles

Threads
Authorized Toro dealers should service the product so long as it was purchased new and you have proof of that purchase. As for the dealer relationship, just think of it like with cars. I buy 4 cars from Rob. I have an issue, Rob walks me to the service manager directly, helps explain my problem and I get taken care of. It's not to say you miss something by buying online, but dealing with local guy, and going back to the local guy may afford you some special treatment. It all depends on the size of the dealer and who you deal with. Imagine you walk in to the dealer with a 6 month old mower, that was shipped to you crated, assembled and set up by you, and now you have a problem. Then imagine the things these people say to themselves and each other after you leave. If you can honestly say that 100% of the time you will get the same quality of service, you are mistaken. It is in human nature to develop loyalty, and that loyalty is recognized and rewarded in most everything we do. That aside, no, the Toro does not include an hour meter but for $50 you can have one and they can be installed by you in just a few minutes (harness is already present on machine). This is important if you plan to follow maintenance as prescribed in the manual. You could surely do without if you know your average cutting time and how often you cut. As for the bricks, ground clearance will matter but I ask that you think of this.... Imagine trying to get the front wheels of a rear-heavy machine up and over the bricks, vs a front to middle-heavy machine up and over the bricks? I don't know how high the bricks stick up over the ground, but the front engine rider will at least do it safer if the brick are tall. If they are shorter you can do it with the ZTR. Go back to my post about a designated approach. You surely cannot be going up and down over and over throughout the cutting of the grass. So think about the easiest way of doing it; not necessarily relying on the mower to do all the work.

Good points on the dealer - a relationship would be a good thing to have. Let's just hope his prices are close enough to the online store that it's not even an issue.

As for the bricks, I would just need to get up once, and then down again, per mow. I forgot about your old post but I'll check it out again.

Noodles

Threads

My local dealer will sell it for 2600 + tax, which brings it to over 2800 vs 2500 online. I like the idea of having a dealer assemble and deliver, but $300 is a lot. Need to see if he will take off the tax if I pay cash.