Buying my first riding mower / lawn tractor.

primerbulb120

Threads
Can I take a step back and ask a basic question? What is the primary purpose of upgrading from a push mower to a rider/tractor? Is it mostly to make the job easier, or faster?

My only real concern is cutting down on mowing time. I'm a relatively young guy don't mind getting a bit of a workout while mowing. Life with three kids means my weekend time is valuable. Obviously the tractor will be faster, but will it be a significant improvement?

While I greatly prefer to maintain my lawn myself, I've been debating between the tractor and a landscaping service. My main fear is that I buy the tractor and it only makes a marginal improvement on time. Then a year or two later I get frustrated and go with the landscaper - meaning I've paid twice and have a tractor I no longer use.

If your property is fairly open and has few obstacles (trees, landscaping beds, etc.) a lawn tractor will save you a significant amount of time and make the job easier. In addition, your kids can start mowing it for you when they get old enough. :wink:

If you have lots of obstacles, a ZTR or a landscaping company would be my recommendation.

Noodles

Threads
If your property is fairly open and has few obstacles (trees, landscaping beds, etc.) a lawn tractor will save you a significant amount of time and make the job easier. In addition, your kids can start mowing it for you when they get old enough. :wink:

If you have lots of obstacles, a ZTR or a landscaping company would be my recommendation.

Yeah, I'm pretty open with only a few obstacles. I kind of figured that the larger deck and speed would make a big difference, but I wanted to confirm. I didn't want to spend $2k to only save 15 minutes, ya know? Hoping I can do front and back in about an hour.

primerbulb120

Threads
Yeah, I'm pretty open with only a few obstacles. I kind of figured that the larger deck and speed would make a big difference, but I wanted to confirm. I didn't want to spend $2k to only save 15 minutes, ya know? Hoping I can do front and back in about an hour.

The speed and larger deck will make a big difference. However there is a learning curve you will have to go through before you figure out what mowing patterns are most efficient, so don't worry if your first mows take you longer than you want. You'll get the hang of it after a month or two. :thumbsup:

Noodles

Threads
The speed and larger deck will make a big difference. However there is a learning curve you will have to go through before you figure out what mowing patterns are most efficient, so don't worry if your first mows take you longer than you want. You'll get the hang of it after a month or two. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I kinda figured that the first few mows will be a bit sloppy - having to make awkward turns, back myself out of a corner or wondering why I'm mowing the same spot for the 5th time.

How do you handle making passes directly next to each other? Without a ZTR i prob can't do that without making a 3-point turn.

primerbulb120

Threads
Yeah, I kinda figured that the first few mows will be a bit sloppy - having to make awkward turns, back myself out of a corner or wondering why I'm mowing the same spot for the 5th time.

How do you handle making passes directly next to each other? Without a ZTR i prob can't do that without making a 3-point turn.

Yeah, you'll have to do three-point turns.

If your yard doesn't really stripe well, you can just mow in a spiral pattern starting at the outside and spiraling in toward the center. That way you won't have to make as many turns. :thumbsup:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just out of curiosity .......
When you're out shopping ... and have to relieve yourself, do you have a hard time deciding which bathroom to use ...??? ..:confused2:

Noodles

Threads
Just out of curiosity .......
When you're out shopping ... and have to relieve yourself, do you have a hard time deciding which bathroom to use ...??? ..:confused2:
Yeah have you noticed I'm a bit of a nut? I tend to research the heck out of any purchase before committing. It adds some work, but I usually wind up very happy with my purchase.

Noodles

Threads
so my my brother in law, whose opinion I trust, has pretty much convinced me that a zero turn would make me much happier. I understand this will cost more, but in ok with that if it makes sense.

Any suggestions in the 2000 - 2500 range? I realize this will get me just a basic machine, but that's all I need. I called a local dealer who said they had a new Husqvarna for "about 2000". He is calling me back tomorrow with the exact price and model.

primerbulb120

Threads
so my my brother in law, whose opinion I trust, has pretty much convinced me that a zero turn would make me much happier. I understand this will cost more, but in ok with that if it makes sense.

Any suggestions in the 2000 - 2500 range? I realize this will get me just a basic machine, but that's all I need. I called a local dealer who said they had a new Husqvarna for "about 2000". He is calling me back tomorrow with the exact price and model.

Here's my advice: Unless you're going to spend 3000+, don't buy a new one. A lightly used prosumer model can be had for 2000-2500, and it will make you much happier than a cheap entry-level residential will.

Noodles

Threads
Here's my advice: Unless you're going to spend 3000+, don't buy a new one. A lightly used prosumer model can be had for 2000-2500, and it will make you much happier than a cheap entry-level residential will.

Ok, I'm listening. What does $3k get me that $2300 won't? For my basic needs, what's the difference?

To be frank, $3k is above my budget. I've done a little bit of looking for a used one and there aren't any good options out there.