bull head bolts snapper transmission.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Seeing I don't know where these bolts are going and the cost isn't nothing to worry about, yes do change them. Now as far as red Loctite go's I will say they if used right it will take heat to remove them. This is the reason I use the blue Loctite because its removable. For four new bolts it will be cheaper then a tube of Loctite if we are looking at cost. Sorry I just don't agree here but this isn't the first time for me and I'm not doing the job. If I do get one of these for repair it will get blue Loctite not red.

They came from the avaition industry,
The shank is slightly oval or triangular

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for your reply, I agree I will use new bolts then I will have a better job I replacing most everything anyway! :smile:Take care give me a yell latter I have not been on this forum very long but I have enjoyed it!! I have been working on mowers for over 40 years most people don't know that even some clinton moters they go way back!! JamesVa Matt Dillon

I can remember the Clinton engines. They installed them on the small walk behind garden tractors in the 40's and 50's. Never worked on them because I was too young.

jamesva

Threads
I have rebuilt probably a hundred of these gear boxes. The bolts have distorted threads to make them self-locking. They are "use once & discard". When you see the new bolts, you will see what I mean. I once re-did a gear box that the customer had "fixed" himself. Those bolts had backed out and wore through the fender. I don't remember what other damage was done. We always kept an ample parts supply, so I never needed to use the old bolts back...not that I would have.

Mow Joe if I order the bolts with the destorted threads they have a blue color in the diagram on the bottom of the threads will I still need locktite on them?I'm thinking that might be on them already, bolts run 10.00 but thats ok I want it right, also bid on a lot of snapper parts on ebay got 13 cogs short and long axle rubber brake covers, shift arm bull head all the trans parts in other words, grass catcher adapter kit some other parts I don't know what they fit for 28.00 free shipping I say I did not pay to much!!matt jamesva

Mow Joe

Threads
I can't say for sure about the Loc-Tite. I have been out of the business since '95. Back then, all that Snapper supplied was distorted thread bolts. I never used anything else on them. They may have discovered that Loc-Tite was all that's necessary or there is better Loc-Tite now. I'm sure that would save them money as opposed to having special bolts made for this application.

jamesva

Threads
Thanks for your reply I would say just install the new bolts torque them to what the manual says and call it done! Have a good one MowJoe!jamesva:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: