bull head bolts snapper transmission.

jamesva

Threads
I am restoring a snapper rer 83 model 26064 and I removed the Bull Head bolts 4 on mine some has 6 the xtra tough series they say in the manual to discard the old bolts and replace them but they are in great shape why would you need new ones?? If they are afraid they will back off use a little lock tite on them appreciate some input on that I contacted Snapper they did not know!! Thanks Matt Dillon

Mow Joe

Threads
I have rebuilt probably a hundred of these gear boxes. The bolts have distorted threads to make them self-locking. They are "use once & discard". When you see the new bolts, you will see what I mean. I once re-did a gear box that the customer had "fixed" himself. Those bolts had backed out and wore through the fender. I don't remember what other damage was done. We always kept an ample parts supply, so I never needed to use the old bolts back...not that I would have.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can google locking fastener and there are some distorted thread bolts out there, but usually nuts have this locking feature. If you go the locktite route be sure to use a primer to prepare both male and female threads. IMO

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Never heard the term Bull Head bolts and I have been in the trade a long time. Other then a Snapper transmission bolt what is a Bull Head bolt? I couldn't find them on the net.

jamesva

Threads
If you go to pdf download 26064 model rer snapper it calls them that in the service manual when you read half way down in it shows them the # is hb nylock gr5 black 7012333yp for the bolts they are trans bolts 4 on some 6 on others. Thanks for your reply friend. JamesVA Matt Dillon

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
They don't look like anything special. If I was doing the job in my shop I would just use red Loctite and torque them to specs. The only problem I could see if someone over torqued them in a earlier repair, because that would weaken them.

cashman

Threads
Snapper referred to them are interference thread bolts. The pitch on the threads are made to lock themselves in place once torqued. Yes, they will back out and cut through the fender as already described. I never tried threadlocker on the old bolts. I always used new bolts with a dab of Loctite on them.

jamesva

Threads
Thank you for your response I have to agree do not want to take a chance on the old!!ones. take care my friend!JamesVa Matt Dillon

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Snapper referred to them are interference thread bolts. The pitch on the threads are made to lock themselves in place once torqued. Yes, they will back out and cut through the fender as already described. I never tried threadlocker on the old bolts. I always used new bolts with a dab of Loctite on them.

Seeing I don't know where these bolts are going and the cost isn't nothing to worry about, yes do change them. Now as far as red Loctite go's I will say they if used right it will take heat to remove them. This is the reason I use the blue Loctite because its removable. For four new bolts it will be cheaper then a tube of Loctite if we are looking at cost. Sorry I just don't agree here but this isn't the first time for me and I'm not doing the job. If I do get one of these for repair it will get blue Loctite not red.

jamesva

Threads
Thanks for your reply, I agree I will use new bolts then I will have a better job I replacing most everything anyway! :smile:Take care give me a yell latter I have not been on this forum very long but I have enjoyed it!! I have been working on mowers for over 40 years most people don't know that even some clinton moters they go way back!! JamesVa Matt Dillon