Engine Briggs Vanguard 14 hp on cadet gt 1440 Charging problem

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Briggs Vanguard 14 hp on cadet gt 1440 Charging problem
Looking at the wiring I would test the diode first, come back and report.

smaywork

Forum Newbie
Threads
I believe the diode that Enigma-2 was referring to is different than the one shown in your "diode check" attachment. My Cadet is a 1994 with the higher output alternator that doesn't have the diode in the wiring. If the diode that he is referring to was bad, the starter would want to run any time the ignition was turned on. I'm 200 miles away from the machine right now, so I'll continue to troubleshoot when I get back in a couple of weeks. I believe the alternator on this machine is a 16 or 20 amp output. It actually requires a genuine automobile battery, not the little 275 / 300 amp hr. that many mowers use. I always thought that strange, be then again, the battery lasts about 6 years also, not 2 like the others. Thanks a bunch for the help, especially the schematic. Unfortunately the schematic shows a "alternator", not a Stator, Rectifier, Regulator which is actually the case. Probably because this is a Cub Cadet schematic and not a B&S and Cadet. Once I find the solution, I will report it....

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you wanted help with engine, you should have posted up the engine/type numbers, that way we here know what you have...! so please post them, that way it will help us to help you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png
    70.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    56.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    129.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_4.png
    Screenshot_4.png
    227.5 KB · Views: 8

smaywork

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry, I thought I had made it clear that the stator / alternator / rectifier / regulator all work fine. The problem exist between the output of the regulator and the battery. Again, if I jump straight from the output (red) of the regulator to the Battery +, the battery charge voltage jumps right up to near 14 volts and maintains with both pto and lights on. So, I assumed (maybe wrong) the engine as a problem.

Also, as I mentioned, I am nowhere near this machine at this time and won't be for a couple of weeks, so, I can't do any additional testing or get any additional information off of the mower.

When I get back I will post more status updates. As for now, my hands are tied.

Thanks, I'll be back later,

smaywork

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, Got home and started the GT and mulched leaves w/ the red charge light on. When I got done, I took the side off, the battery out, and went straight to the ignition switch. I pulled the connector off and she wasn't pretty. Sprayed contact cleaner (electronic contact cleaner) in the connector and put it back together. Then I had nothing, no juice period. Took out the ignition switch and checked for resistance and sure as can be the resistance across the R-B contact was metering around 140-160 ohm. I had another switch, but doesn't match the grounding magneto type switch. So, I bent the shut off tab (M) over and put the switch in. Now, the tractor starts, runs and charges fine. However, the lights are on all the time. So, I pulled the bulb connector to the headlight and I have to "choke" it to kill it until I can find the proper switch. So, now does anybody know the p/n for the 6 contact, 4 position (Off, On w/lights, On, Start) switch? I hate to go back to the dealer and get socked for another $40 (after they talked me into a new regulator for $65.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
In the mean time put a Rocker switch or Push to make switch between the kill wire that you took off the key switch and earth, that way you will stop the engine right, and not choke it to death.

smaywork

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well,

I just realized the safety switches (seat and pedal) will shut it down around the ignition switch. Good news, bad news is that while I was troubleshooting I think I trashed the starboard side magneto, because now, I'm only running on one cylinder. I've got no spark at all to the one cylinder. I believe I put 12 VDC to the magneto when I tried using the alternate ignition switch.

All I needed was the mower to last one more leaf collection season, and the death spiral started!

Funny how things progress,

Thanks for all your help, I think I'm going to call somebody to pick up my leaves this fall. I don't have the time to pull the engine and replace a coil.

pajohn7007

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the same simptoms. I would like to hear from you when it gets solved! Thanks, PaJohn7007