Engine Briggs Vanguard 14 hp on cadet gt 1440 Charging problem

smaywork

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Briggs Vanguard 14 hp on cadet gt 1440 Charging problem
First time post, hope it goes well. I've got a strange charging problem w/ my Cub Cadet 1440 w/ Briggs Vanguard 14 V Twin. Alternator checks out, regulator checks out (actually new OEM). Tractor maintains charge with nothing on. Turn on lights or Pto and the Charge light comes on and battery starts draining. (Checked with Fluke DVM). If I take the Red output wire from the Regulator directly to the battery + terminal, the battery voltage immediately starts coming back up. Of course the charge light is still on. Anyone know what is between the regulator output and the battery that can be bad that isn't allowing current to flow? I haven't got wiring diagram for the tractor. This problem has slowly gotten worse over time. At first speeding up the engine caused the light go off, not anymore! Also, before the lights weren't a big enough drain, now they are. I'm currently charging battery between mows to keep 'er going. Next, I'll probably jumper straight from regulator to battery until someone can help me or I figure it out.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...

Have you had this mower long enough to know the wiring is still factory? Some one may have modified things along the way...
If you are relatively sure the wiring is correct, You need to measure the charge circuit for any resistance, You may find a fuse or a fusable link in the line that is causing some resistance... :smile:KennyV

enigma-2

Threads
I've got a strange charging problem .. Alternator checks out, regulator checks out (actually new OEM). Tractor maintains charge with nothing on. Turn on lights or PTO and the Charge light comes on and battery starts draining. ... This problem has slowly gotten worse over time. At first speeding up the engine caused the light go off, not anymore! Also, before the lights weren't a big enough drain, now they are.
You know, it really sounds like a corroded connection somewhere that's at the heart of your problem. The corrosion has gotten worst over time, resulting in a high resistance connection to the battery. If it were me, I would back-tract along every connection trying to eliminate that contingency. (Could also be hidden, ignition switch contacts (inside switch) for example. Also carefully check where the black battery ground wire attaches to the frame.

smaywork

Forum Newbie
Threads
Cub GT is totally original. I'm second owner and purchased from the original dealer. I suspect either the ignition switch or a diode is in the circuit, but can't confirm it w/o wiring diagram. Seems they put diodes everywhere and maybe there is one to keep from bleeding back? Rectifier in the regulator should do that, but who knows. The Ground I doubt because the thing starts like a scream when the battery is at full charge. Of course all wiring is in bundles, so I'd have to just start disconnecting/reconnecting to chase wiring. It's not killing me now, I was just hoping maybe someone else had the same issue. I've always wondered why the ignition switches on these mowers have, like, 6 terminals. Seems like 3 should be enough!

smaywork

Forum Newbie
Threads
Kenny, you've got good Idea, I didn't think of disconnecting the battery positive and measuring resistance back from the regulator output to the Battery +. That would also tell me if it goes through the ignition switch also. I'm two weeks away from the problem now, but I'll check that when I get back. Thanks,

enigma-2

Threads
The Ground I doubt because the thing starts like a scream when the battery is at full charge.
Umm, I'd still consider it. When the battery is at full charge, it's developing 12-14 volts. But when charging, a high resistance will develop a voltage drop across the resistance, lowering voltage. And of course, to charge a battery, you must have a higher voltage than the battery to force the juice back into it.

smaywork

Forum Newbie
Threads
But, then a direct connection from the regulator output to the battery + makes it charge fine. Thus, if there is a resistance, it must be in the Hot Side, not the Ground side......I'll disconnect and reconnect anyway, just to verify. Thanks

enigma-2

Threads
But, then a direct connection from the regulator output to the battery + makes it charge fine. Thus, if there is a resistance, it must be in the Hot Side, not the Ground side......I'll disconnect and reconnect anyway, just to verify. Thanks
I just found the electrical wiring schematics for the Cub 1440. if you want them, give me your email address (better put in coded form, IE "dot" instead of ".", etc) & I'll send a PDF of them (2 pgs).

From what I see, red wired off the alternator, through a diode, to the starter. Off the starter (heavy red wire) to the starter solenoid. Off Solenoid (heavy red wire) to battery.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
To test diode.......

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    115.6 KB · Views: 26

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads