Briggs Stratton Tiller engine won't start

jccinohio

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's a White Outdoors RT-412 near as I can tell. Model number is 21AA412A090, and this number is below that 4452770.

I'm trying to get more info on what is wrong. When I had the engine going it would go forward/reverse, but couldn't get the tines to engage. Didn't try that hard though. So took a bunch off parts off to get to the tranny to see if there was a place to put in oil, or grease, and nothing.. But now that it's half apart when I rotate the flywheel by hand I can get it in Fwd/Rev and get the tines spinning (and wheels rotate as well). So have a call out to the old owner to get the low down on what was wrong.. I've had the thing for a year now and forgot what he said...

jccinohio

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yeah, but got the whole thing for $25 & can prob sell the engine alone for that. Hopefully I can fix it as I need a tiller..

So he said that it keeps popping out of gear when tilling.. it also won't go into neutral where you can push it with the engine not running (wheels are locked up). So engine off, wheels won't rotate. Engine on, and forward and reverse work, tines will apparently work, but pops out of gear, and in neutral the tiller can't be moved (without dragging it).

I have the whole Illustrated Parts Breakdown so going to open it up and see what there is to see.

So doing some googling.. seems like the Shift Assembly, detent ball, and compression spring are common parts that need replaced to fix 'not staying in gear while tilling'.. not sure if that has anything to do with the neutral issue... Have to wait till I get it apart.

Last edited: