Briggs Stratton Tiller engine won't start

jccinohio

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

I got a Tiller from a yard sale that had been sitting a while. Took out old gas, and put in fresh.. Put a new spark plug in (RC12YC), checked gap at .030". Won't start.. Checked spark and it looks good & strong. So sprayed starter fluid in and it revs/runs for a second or three, but won't run. Took off carb and sprayed it out real good with carb cleaner and all the jets seem to be open (squirt it in one place, and see it come out another). Bowl is filling with gas. Replaced gaskets and the needle valve seat in the carb. Compression seemed good sticking my finger over the spark plug hole, but ordered a tester to test it (arrives Tuesday). I took the valve cover off and the valves seem to be operating fine.

What's my next step? Just get one of the aftermarket carbs and try it? What else should I check? Is it possible for the timing to be off?

Briggs and Stratton 126312-0580-B8

Thanks!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Go through the carb correctly, or replace it.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take back off the nut holding the bowl on the carb, and clean all of the tiny holes in the side/bottom of it, re-install.
See if it gets better.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
And you generally won't get an accurate reading with a compression tester on most small engines since they have compression releases.

jccinohio

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did poke wire through all the holes I could in the carb.... except for the bowl nut, I only wiped it off.. Didn't know that had holes ;) So will clean that out too and see what happens.

Russ2251

Threads
And you generally won't get an accurate reading with a compression tester on most small engines since they have compression releases.
+2
The fact that engine started at all shows that compression is adequate.
In many decades of small engine shenanigans...I never needed a compression tester.
Cancel the order and get a refund.

jccinohio

Forum Newbie
Threads
Cancelled it about 10 mins ago.. Deer steaks are ready, so have to wait to try the bowl nut cleaning till the morning.. wife doesn't like me smelling like gas ;)

jccinohio

Forum Newbie
Threads
That did the trick, started on second pull.. The side holes were clear, but the vertical one had something in it that I had to jam out with a piece of wire.

Thanks for the help!! Now I'm on to the main problem.. the tines won't engage..

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Is it a troybilt tiller, Bronco?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
We'll have to have the tiller's model number to help on that.