Briggs engine blowing oil

cehenry

Forum Newbie
Threads
Walt,

I already did what you suggested prior to posting. I have the mower running (sort of), there is no blue smoke coming from the exhaust, only the breather tube. The engine will blow the dipstick out of the tube if it is not locked in. There is no oil in the cylinder. As far as why I tilted it on its side, the transmission drive belt came off. If I had not tilted it, I would have had to push it through 500 feet of shin high grass. I held the mower at a 45 degree angle with one hand and put the belt back on with the other. I did not see another way to do it without help. As for what I called you, I think your comments about my stupidity regarding what I did somewhat rated that, but two wrongs still don't make a right so I'll apologize. I'm sorry I called you an A-hole. Now, can you think of anything else of a useful nature?

Last edited:

cehenry

Forum Newbie
Threads
Fellow, I did tell you what to do, if you don't have enough sense to read it no wonder you turned the mower over, as for your comment, takes one to know one.

Walt Conner
Walt,

First, I'd like to apologize for calling you an A-hole. Your comments irritated me, but two wrongs still do not make a right. That being said, I did all the things you suggested prior to posting. As for why I turned the machine on its side, the transmission drive belt came off in high grass. I was alone and without any tools or equipment. I was 500 feet away from the garage. The grass was more shin high due to all the rain and I didn't feel like pushing it that far through tall grass. I lifted the mower to about a 45 degree angle and held it with one hand while using the other to put the belt back on. Under the circumstances, I didn't see a better option. The engine has no oil in the cylinder and is not smoking out the exhaust. The smoke is coming from the crankcase breather hose which will not stay on. The crankcase is building up enough pressure to throw the dipstick out of the tube if it is not locked down. I have removed the cover from the crankcase breather and there is no oil in there. The reed valve appears to be OK. The engine will only turn fast enough to start if the belts are both off. Once running it never stops putting a full stream of blue smoke out the breather tube. Something is causing excessive crankcase pressure, but I have no idea what. Again, any useful ideas.

Craig

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bear in mind that all posts on most or all forums goes directly out onto the internet in search engines like Google, Bing etc.

KrashnKraka

Threads
Craig, Craig... settle.
I am reading you are Texan, and, from my experience -as the Duke would drawl -
" an ornery bunch with iron backbones, tread lightly pilgrim". So it is I post only
to make the following two points. Riskin' maybe a 'ban' on the site.
Being a Queenslander...?.. like I could give a toss...heh.

You, Craig, wrote;
"First, I'd like to apologize for calling you an A-hole"
Rule is.. never apologise to arseholes posting into these "blogs".
More so trigger happy dumb arseholes, Walt never _read_ your post.
And he aint gunna apologise for not reading it before opening his yap.

These "blogs" pretend to be about help but in reality they are a mini editorial
stage for the egocentric. Nothing deeper than that.
You will always get "mine is bigger than yours" and "mine never does that"
cobbled together under a rabble of slow minded passive aggressive blah blah.
Fact.
To participate and get any worth it is necessary to do a LOT of reading
in finding the good guys, ignoring the arseholes.
And the good guys are getting scarcer on the ground as each year passes by.

Take THAT to the Bank :)

Craig, you then ask;
"Again, any useful ideas"....

Yeup..next time - and it will happen again- next time, walk...and get a tow.
I do, and I own significant mobiltiy disability
As wrote in my opening post there is nought more you can do for this
machine. Now I know it was hot when the incident occured I will offer
the engine is definitely broken.
Only your shop can help you.
But hopefully the experience in the field, and in this forum, will build on
your lessons in "what not to do".

...mind how you go, an' stay safe.

KK

KrashnKraka

Threads
Bear in mind that all posts on most or all forums goes directly out onto the internet in search engines like Google, Bing etc.

Yeup...however as SE's gravitate more towards phrase enabled search terms
Craig's "shop" would need to be told where to look.
I aint tellin' 'em, you?

KK

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Is it possible the by turning the mower on its side flooded the cylinder with gas. and then when you started the mower, the extra fuel sort of hydrolocked the engine causing a blown head gasket.

Michael72

Threads
Tis a strange one....positive compression release from crank but to much!....hmmmm.... the engine is not breathing properly...what goes in must go out and thats where id start IMO :smile:

Michael72

Threads
....could be decompression issues from camshaft...but with just 8 hours on it- it is unlikely...if not hydro-locked or muffler probs it has to be valve related..or make sure that your muffler has no oil in it and go from there.

KrashnKraka

Threads
....could be decompression issues from camshaft...but with just 8 hours on it- it is unlikely...if not hydro-locked or muffler probs it has to be valve related..or make sure that your muffler has no oil in it and go from there.

All possible brother but as the guy wrote he lifted it one hand and
flicked the belt back on with the other.
Now if he didn't do that quickly then he is one dude I wouldn't mess
with... you would need to be very strong in upper body to hold that
position a while. Our son bench presses 150KG, I reckon *he* would
struggle with such a job, over time.
Nope, this was done quick... jes enough time for some oil to move
into the lower cylinder area. Dropping the mower and hitting a hot
engine with a start, in that condition...?... man it woulda gone bang
in the first two cycles!
For mine he is better to deliver for warranty and play dumb... "the
sucker started, coughed and died. It must be a patriotic engine
and refused to work 4th July!"... like :tongue:

Whatever the OP saves in dollars might just add to the lesson.

KK

Michael72

Threads
True...unless I was 100% where the prob was I wouldnt touch a wrench off it and bring it back...but the topic is now public lol...as soon as you walk in the door of the shop there would be a greeting banner "never drop a mower on its side" :laughing: ....