Briggs engine blowing oil

cehenry

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 19 HP Briggs engine on a riding mower with about 8 hours on it. I turned it on its side to put a belt back on and ended up flooding the engine with oil. Since then I have gotten the engine to start, but it is still smoking after running for 3 hours, has no power, and will not start with the drive belts in place (will not turn fast enough). The engine is blowing oil out both the oil dipstick and the breather tube and is VERY hard to start. I took the cover off the crankcase breather to see if it was full of oil and there is no standing oil there. Any suggestions? this engine is brand new and under warranty, but I want to make certain that there is no reason for a warranty claim to be rejected before I take it in.

KrashnKraka

Threads
I have a 19 HP Briggs engine on a riding mower with about 8 hours on it. I turned it on its side to put a belt back on and ended up flooding the engine with oil. Since then I have gotten the engine to start, but it is still smoking after running for 3 hours, has no power, and will not start with the drive belts in place (will not turn fast enough). The engine is blowing oil out both the oil dipstick and the breather tube and is VERY hard to start. I took the cover off the crankcase breather to see if it was full of oil and there is no standing oil there. Any suggestions? this engine is brand new and under warranty, but I want to make certain that there is no reason for a warranty claim to be rejected before I take it in.

Reads like you have bricked it, jacked (hydralic) the combustion chamber
with oil. Making any noises it never made in the last 8hours?

Unfortunately you cannot check stuff because of warranty.
Put a spanner near that engine and you are done.

KK

cehenry

Forum Newbie
Threads
Reads like you have bricked it, jacked (hydralic) the combustion chamber
with oil. Making any noises it never made in the last 8hours?

Unfortunately you cannot check stuff because of warranty.
Put a spanner near that engine and you are done.

KK

Well, I know it's not blowing blue smoke out the exhaust, so that seems to eliminate oil going past the rings. It's not knocking or rattling, just building excessive crankcase pressure, smoking from the crankcase breather and trying to blow the dipstick out if it's not locked down.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Turning a ridding mower on its' side? A new one? Whew. Drain the oil and replace to proper level, remove air cleaner and inspect, probably needs replaced. Engine probably is not ruined - - yet. I sure would not approve a warranty request on this.

Walt Conner

KrashnKraka

Threads
Turning a ridding mower on its' side? A new one? Whew. Drain the oil and replace to proper level, remove air cleaner and inspect, probably needs replaced. Engine probably is not ruined - - yet. I sure would not approve a warranty request on this.

Walt Conner
I didn't read the OP posting the mower was new.

However if that is the case I would be interested
to discover which contemporary brand name requires
tipping on it's side to service, anything.
Could well be a 'loophole' there in respect of warranty on
the engine for said mower.

A link to the Manual would be nice.

KK

Tinkerer200

Threads
I didn't read the OP posting the mower was new.

However if that is the case I would be interested
to discover which contemporary brand name requires
tipping on it's side to service, anything.
Could well be a 'loophole' there in respect of warranty on
the engine for said mower.

A link to the Manual would be nice.

KK

Seriously doubt it "Required" turning on its'side.

Walt Conner

KrashnKraka

Threads

Walt Conner

Heh...me, I wouldn't place such aspersions on a poster
... in a text forum.
Now.... if one had video, with sound, as per our swedish
fellow with his "yella terra", one maybe could make some
value judgment?

KK

cehenry

Forum Newbie
Threads

Walt Conner

OK, you've made your point. I'm an idiot for turning the mower on its side. Now are you going to say something useful, like how I can fix it, or just continue to be an A-hole?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Crank the engine over with the spark plug(s) removed and tell us what comes out of the spark plug hole(s).

Tinkerer200

Threads
OK, you've made your point. I'm an idiot for turning the mower on its side. Now are you going to say something useful, like how I can fix it, or just continue to be an A-hole?

Fellow, I did tell you what to do, if you don't have enough sense to read it no wonder you turned the mower over, as for your comment, takes one to know one.

Walt Conner