Briggs 800 175cc won’t start

animattor

Threads
The end…for now. I replaced the flywheel key, tightened it appropriately and the engine started right up. I now realize I sheared the last key off from the first pull of the starter. It tried to start just that one time and never would again. Thanks for all the help!

Fixing the self propelled is a task for another day…

biggertv

Threads
Yea just keep helping the Chinese take over the American businesses. The involved carburetor is dead simple to clean and repair.
The dead carb was prolly made in China too... As is whatever device you are using Right Now...

TiIngot

Threads
The end…for now. I replaced the flywheel key, tightened it appropriately and the engine started right up. I now realize I sheared the last key off from the first pull of the starter. It tried to start just that one time and never would again. Thanks for all the help!

Fixing the self propelled is a task for another day…
Thank you for letting us know your conclusion. Too many ask for help but never return to add what solved their issue. Inquiring minds need to know what solved the mystery.

animattor

Threads
Thank you for letting us know your conclusion. Too many ask for help but never return to add what solved their issue. Inquiring minds need to know what solved the mystery.
And the saga goes on…
One repair I didn’t mention was fixing the height adjustment. The arm connecting the front wheels to the back was missing a bolt. I didn’t have the right one on hand, so i improvised by putting two nuts on a tiny piece of threaded rod. Well the nuts worked their way off, and the rod fell out. Without that connection the mower nose-dived into the dirt, and the blade tried to dig its way to China. It only dug down about 5cm but it was far enough to shear off the bolt holding the blade and…shearing off the flywheel key again. So now I get to replace the flywheel key again and extract a broken bolt from the drive shaft. If I wasn’t a cheapskate who likes a challenge I think I’d give up!

Etbrown44

Threads
Glad you fixed it. Been working on small engines for over 60 years. Please help me learn how do-it-yourselfers might learn to straighten a drives haft.

animattor

Threads
Glad you fixed it. Been working on small engines for over 60 years. Please help me learn how do-it-yourselfers might learn to straighten a drives haft.
I followed this video.

It wasn’t easy (i.e. hard but not complicated) but I got the shaft from being over 1cm off down to about 1-2mm. Not perfect but much improved. After my latest incident I still need to check if the shaft is bent again or not.

bill.g

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just buy a new carb off Amazon. Prolly under $20. It's just not worth the trouble trying to clean an Ethanol Damaged carb. Many come with air cleaner, fuel line and spark plug.
After hitting a root & stopping it’s almost garrantees it’s out of time!