Briggs 800 175cc won’t start

animattor

Threads
I was given a mower after it hit a large root and wouldn’t start any more. I have already:
-replaced the flywheel key
-Straightened the driveshaft (following Steve’s small engine saloon)
-emptied/cleaned gas tank and fuel line
-added fuel
-checked oil
-Disassembled carb and cleaned with compressed air (didn’t have carb cleaner)

the air filter is full of oil so I removed it and tried to start mower. It doesn’t catch, then “pops” with a little white smoke out of the carb. Repeated pulls just give this pop like a backfire, but it won’t catch.

I tried starting it with a tsp of gas directly through spark plug hole, and it’s the same. If I install the (old) air filter, I get absolutely nothing, so it seems like an air/fuel problem but I’m not sure what to try next. Should I try spraying carb cleaner or starter fluid in the carb?

Edit: I read about hydro lock and flooded engines, so I pulled the spark plug and cycled the engine several times. Now it no longer backfires but it still won’t catch. :(

Last edited:

dougand3

Threads
Engine model #? Years ago, I had a 12S912 on a pressure washer. IIRC, it was gov/oil slinger failure with camshaft damage. Pull the valve cover and see if valves operate properly. Do both valves close as piston approaches TDC on compression stroke? Also, did you wire the the carb jets/orifices? A disassembled carb in a parts washer is a good idea.

animattor

Threads
Engine model #? Years ago, I had a 12S912 on a pressure washer. IIRC, it was gov/oil slinger failure with camshaft damage. Pull the valve cover and see if valves operate properly. Do both valves close as piston approaches TDC on compression stroke? Also, did you wire the the carb jets/orifices? A disassembled carb in a parts washer is a good idea.
It’s an 11P902-0809 - B1. I’m going to pick up some carb cleaner tonight and give everything a good spray. i need to find a good fine wire—Bristle from a metal brush?

dougand3

Threads
Landline telephone wire works well for carb holes. But if you can't put fuel in plug hole, re-insert plug, pull rope a few times (maybe 10x if floody), and get a 2 sec run....it's not an air-fuel problem. Think compression or spark/timing problem. See if valves work.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the flywheel key again. If not properly torqued when you reassembled, you will probably find it sheared.

animattor

Threads
Check the flywheel key again. If not properly torqued when you reassembled, you will probably find it sheared.
I was afraid of that but I didn’t check the key again yet. Sometimes it jerks when pulling, but not nearly as bad as before.

When you say “not properly torqued” do you mean not tight enough or that I need a torque wrench?

I’ll look at valves too.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Be careful running any wire thru the bolt screw jet assembly as the 697355 is NLA.

Yes you need to be using a torque wrench to torque it to 60 ft-lbs going by the APSI 67 or if going by the power portal 44 ft-lbs.

biggertv

Threads
Just buy a new carb off Amazon. Prolly under $20. It's just not worth the trouble trying to clean an Ethanol Damaged carb. Many come with air cleaner, fuel line and spark plug.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just buy a new carb off Amazon. Prolly under $20. It's just not worth the trouble trying to clean an Ethanol Damaged carb. Many come with air cleaner, fuel line and spark plug.
Yea just keep helping the Chinese take over the American businesses. The involved carburetor is dead simple to clean and repair.

Last edited:

animattor

Threads
Yep. Key sheared completely in two. Guess I’m going to get a torque wrench. I’m going to replace that key and then look at the valves if it still won’t start.