Breather problem

skeeterskip

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a twin V model 350447 runs fine without the air filter, install the filter it pull oil into the card, smokes & dies, any ideas?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a twin V model 350447 runs fine without the air filter, install the filter it pull oil into the card, smokes & dies, any ideas?

A little more identification would be helpful..... model 350447 could be a refrigerator, a shotgun , or a broomstick ! :smile:

skeeterskip

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm sorry it's a Briggs and Statton 18 hp twin V Vanguard model 350447 on a wood mow'n machine

Tinkerer200

Threads
350000 series V twin obviously a Vanguard, nothing to apologize for. Sounds to me like wrong air filter OR air filter not installed properly.

Walt Conner

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
So when the filter is fitted you are restricting air flow into the carb so i would start with a good clean of carb.

Tinkerer200

Threads
A new properly installed air cleaner should have imperceptible restriction.

Walt Conner

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Could you please explain this a bit better ?
If you are oilig the filter you should not be.
The only part that gets oil is the foam , never the paper and very few oil the foam because it does exactly what yours has dine & chokes the engine.
Is is a new clean filter or an old one that has been exposed to a lot of fine sawdust ?

If it runs fine without the filter when it has unrestricted access to air then chokes when you put the filter on there is nothing wrong with the carb, it is working fine.
The problem is with the filter restricting the air flow too much.

A photo of the filter would be try help full.
However a reductng in engine speed when a filter is fitted is a std test for deciding if the filter needs replacing.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Briggs has two air filters that are the exact same size, but have different filtering media. I can't remember the entire part number of the filters right now, but one ends in 018 and the other ends in 620. If you use the 018 filter on certain Vanguard engines it will cause a air restriction and rich running within about 2 hours of operation.

It sounds like you may have the 018 filter on an engine that calls for the 620 filter.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Briggs has two air filters that are the exact same size, but have different filtering media. I can't remember the entire part number of the filters right now, but one ends in 018 and the other ends in 620. If you use the 018 filter on certain Vanguard engines it will cause a air restriction and rich running within about 2 hours of operation.

It sounds like you may have the 018 filter on an engine that calls for the 620 filter.

I had the same problem with my 18 Vanguard horizontal shaft engine with 394018, switched to the 692519 & 692520 pre filter, problem went away.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Thanx mackie, those are the numbers I was trying to think of.