Export thread

Breather problem

S

skeeterskip

I have a twin V model 350447 runs fine without the air filter, install the filter it pull oil into the card, smokes & dies, any ideas?

Boobala

Boobala

I have a twin V model 350447 runs fine without the air filter, install the filter it pull oil into the card, smokes & dies, any ideas?

A little more identification would be helpful..... model 350447 could be a refrigerator, a shotgun , or a broomstick ! :smile:

S

skeeterskip

I'm sorry it's a Briggs and Statton 18 hp twin V Vanguard model 350447 on a wood mow'n machine

T

Tinkerer200

350000 series V twin obviously a Vanguard, nothing to apologize for. Sounds to me like wrong air filter OR air filter not installed properly.

Walt Conner

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

So when the filter is fitted you are restricting air flow into the carb so i would start with a good clean of carb.

T

Tinkerer200

A new properly installed air cleaner should have imperceptible restriction.

Walt Conner

B

bertsmobile1

Could you please explain this a bit better ?
If you are oilig the filter you should not be.
The only part that gets oil is the foam , never the paper and very few oil the foam because it does exactly what yours has dine & chokes the engine.
Is is a new clean filter or an old one that has been exposed to a lot of fine sawdust ?

If it runs fine without the filter when it has unrestricted access to air then chokes when you put the filter on there is nothing wrong with the carb, it is working fine.
The problem is with the filter restricting the air flow too much.

A photo of the filter would be try help full.
However a reductng in engine speed when a filter is fitted is a std test for deciding if the filter needs replacing.

I

ILENGINE

Briggs has two air filters that are the exact same size, but have different filtering media. I can't remember the entire part number of the filters right now, but one ends in 018 and the other ends in 620. If you use the 018 filter on certain Vanguard engines it will cause a air restriction and rich running within about 2 hours of operation.

It sounds like you may have the 018 filter on an engine that calls for the 620 filter.

M

Mad Mackie

Briggs has two air filters that are the exact same size, but have different filtering media. I can't remember the entire part number of the filters right now, but one ends in 018 and the other ends in 620. If you use the 018 filter on certain Vanguard engines it will cause a air restriction and rich running within about 2 hours of operation.

It sounds like you may have the 018 filter on an engine that calls for the 620 filter.

I had the same problem with my 18 Vanguard horizontal shaft engine with 394018, switched to the 692519 & 692520 pre filter, problem went away.

I

ILENGINE

Thanx mackie, those are the numbers I was trying to think of.

T

Tommy1

I have a 18 hp Vanguard that is doing the same thing. My operating manual tells me that the filter should be a 394018, unless it is a model 380000 which takes a 692519. Waiting on a leak down gauge to check out the engine.

I

ILENGINE

Could you please post your model number tommy, there are a few of the 35xxxx engines that call for the 519 filter.

T

Tommy1

This came out of the B&S operating manual that came with the engine, Model 350000 - 394018 filter, 380000 - 392519 filter.

I

ILENGINE

tommy the reason I asked for your model number is because there are 41 engines in the 35xxxx range that use the 692519 filter. And sometimes there are errors in the owners manual, and sometimes briggs will change something like the part number for the air cleaner because of a problem.

S

SeniorCitizen

If you are oiling a foam pre-filter, put some oil on a paper towel and wipe onto the filter surface. If it seems as if none is visible on the foam you done it just right. Or throw the dam thing in the trash and that's right too.

This information is coming from a member that had a difficult time deciphering what the original oil on a filter was all about.

M

Mad Mackie

Go with the 692519 air filter and do not put oil on the prefilter.

I

ILENGINE

If you are oiling a foam pre-filter, put some oil on a paper towel and wipe onto the filter surface. If it seems as if none is visible on the foam you done it just right. Or throw the dam thing in the trash and that's right too.

This information is coming from a member that had a difficult time deciphering what the original oil on a filter was all about.

Standard procedure now is to only oil the foam only filters. Like what is found on some pushmower engines. None of the foam wraps over the paper filter are recommended to be oil anymore.

T

Tommy1

tommy the reason I asked for your model number is because there are 41 engines in the 35xxxx range that use the 692519 filter. And sometimes there are errors in the owners manual, and sometimes briggs will change something like the part number for the air cleaner because of a problem.
OK sorry , I misunderstood. I have the model # from the engine tag written down at home. I will post later today. Heck maybe I am running the wrong one? Thanks, Tommy

T

Tommy1

Here is the numbers from the ID tag. Model#BBSXS627ZHN- TYPE- 18-350000- CODE #02854934- BUILD 9/11

I

ILENGINE

Tommy, there should be either a metal tag attached to the blower housing that says Model, type, code. Or they may be stamped into one of the valve covers.

Should says something like model type code
35xxxx xxxx xx 11xxxxxx

T

Tommy1

Tommy, there should be either a metal tag attached to the blower housing that says Model, type, code. Or they may be stamped into one of the valve covers.

Should says something like model type code
35xxxx xxxx xx 11xxxxxx

OK, I will take another look . Thanks, Tommy

I

ILENGINE

I hate to be pain, but just confirming to make sure the manual isn't wrong in your case, and could fix a problem along the way.

T

Tommy1

I hate to be pain, but just confirming to make sure the manual isn't wrong in your case, and could fix a problem along the way.

Took the valve covers off,35 and 22 in the casting. I am going to start a new thread about this engine.