Beware of STIHL Imposters and Fake Outdoor Power Equipment

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Beware of STIHL Imposters and Fake Outdoor Power Equipment
Point taken. But the dealer has more overhead so to stay in business, The dealer has to charge more.

So until the import tax and free trade agreement is re assessed or sithl subsidizes their dealers or wages and overhead and benefits in our country are reduced to compete with the foreign market we're pretty much stuck where we are with imposter merchandise.

gfp55

Threads
So until the import tax and free trade agreement is re assessed or sithl subsidizes their dealers or wages and overhead and benefits in our country are reduced to compete with the foreign market we're pretty much stuck where we are with imposter merchandise.
YES in a nutshell.

D

DJlawnboy

Stihl is a German company. So it is the foreign market. I'm just happy they employ so many Americans here. Imposter merchandise will always be around no matter what. Stihl can only make things so cheap before it becomes junk. The rip off can get as junky as need be and will always be cheaper.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, in the last few years, E-bay was swamped with the cheap MS290 parts, which really took a toll on my parts sales. I always
stated on all of my auctions that my parts were from genuine Stihl saws, new, right out of the box, not cheap Chinese junk.

Zeroturner

Threads
My dealer is an honest guy.

I'd bought from him.

I could've bought online and saved 500 bucks, but decided buying from a dealer to be the right choice.

Why?

Not for him, but ultimately for me...

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
What could you buy online? From who? E-bay?

Zeroturner

Threads
Fish,

Sorry, my post was clear as mud!

I bought my Toro MX5060 from a dealer, though I could've bought it online from a couple of legitimate online stores. I've never bought anything on E-Bay and never will.

I need my dealer to stay in business so I helped him to stay in business by buying from him.

I'm not willing to risk big bucks (for me anyway) by buying on line.

The dealer made sure the set up was done correctly, delivered it personally to my house and demonstrated it's use.

That right there worth quite a bit...

wingstrut

Threads
Ditto, Zeroturner That is the way I have always done it, purchase from your local dealer, keep him in business, he will support you.
When I purchase something I want it to do the job many times not just two or three, so I look for the best product that I can find, and I don't care what some wahoo says, you will save time and money in the long run if you buy quality not cheap.
This country has turned into internet buying which is destroying our home towns, businesses are closing at an alarming rate, and our government is at fault.
Buy local and support our country not destroy it...........sorry, I get carried away.............Ron

bt3

Threads
I agree.

I bought my Farm Boss about 7 years ago from a reputable dealer. Actually, I bought a lesser model, got it home and thought, "That blade is too short. I want the Farm Boss." The Dealer took it back no issues, I paid the difference in upgrade and the Farm Boss came home with me.... permanently. The property I use it at is fairly heavily wooded, especially in the back yard. I originally thought I had bought too much saw, but if fall two or three 25 inch diameter trees and have to cut them up and stack them, it's definitely not too much saw.

I like my Stihl dealer, whom happens also to be my Snapper Dealer. He is fair, competent, and treats customers right. If he did LawnBoy I'd be set! :)

Last edited: