Beware of STIHL Imposters and Fake Outdoor Power Equipment

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
  • / Beware of STIHL Imposters and Fake Outdoor Power Equipment
These “vendors” sell counterfeit STIHL products that may look and feel genuine, but share almost none of the quality and safety features found on our equipment.

Read this article on LawnWorld

gfp55

Threads
These ç*ºendors sell counterfeit STIHL products that may look and feel genuine, but share almost none of the quality and safety features found on our equipment.

Read this article on LawnWorld
I read this article and think back some years when Monroe shocks, Timken bearings and others had to deal with counterfeit products coming out of Japan in the 80s. They put that junk out there and people fell for it and think they are the real deal and the legitimate companies suffer the fall out and the Japanese government did nothing about it. The idea is to make the competition weak in the public's eye then hit them with government subsidized product and undercut the competition all for market share. Americans bought it up in droves and they got market share and it worked very good for the Japanese auto companies. The article didn't say which country these counterfeit junk is coming from, but I have a good idea which one is involved. But thats just me.

gfp55

Threads
I wonder if they know which country these imposters are coming from?

Nwatson99

Threads
I wonder if they know which country these imposters are coming from?

I bet it is china were the majority of all other knock-offs are coming from.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Cost differential is a major contributor of the problem. If stihl would lower their price imposters wouldn't be such a big problem.

gfp55

Threads
Cost differential is a major contributor of the problem. If stihl would lower their price imposters wouldn't be such a big problem.
Now that is what they want you to believe and say. There are lots of other saws at lower prices so cost does not hold water with me. Now if what you said is true then why do they break down so fast (the imposters).

Zeroturner

Threads
Presumably, the way to avoid counterfeit Stihl products is to buy from an authorized dealer.

Which leads me to ask: How are the counterfeit products getting on the market, by way of internet sales or ...?

gfp55

Threads
Presumably, the way to avoid counterfeit Stihl products is to buy from an authorized dealer.

Which leads me to ask: How are the counterfeit products getting on the market, by way of internet sales or ...?
I can't say how they are getting on the market in this case, but in the 80s the Japanese packaged theirs just like the real ones and it went on for about 2-3 years before the companies started finding counterfeit parts in their warranty returns, by then the customers have in their mines that the american companies are making junk parts. Thats where this globalization is sometimes good and sometimes bad, it all depends on which side your on. Now it will cost Stihl millions to try to stop it and the countries involved, its a learning thing for them, so they really gain from it in $$$$$$$$$ and experience in manufacture. This is history repeating itself, just with another country doing it. Look at the counterfeit CDs that flooded the market some years ago, same thing. Who paid the price for that?

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Now that is what they want you to believe and say. There are lots of other saws at lower prices so cost does not hold water with me. Now if what you said is true then why do they break down so fast (the imposters).
I believe you missed the point so I'll say it a different way.

If an online stihl saw was priced for xxx.xx $ and the dealer had the same saw for the same xxx.xx $ I believe most buyers would choose the dealer.

Anyone that wouldn't is an idiot and deserves what he might get.

gfp55

Threads

I believe you missed the point so I'll say it a different way.

If an online stihl saw was priced for xxx.xx $ and the dealer had the same saw for the same xxx.xx $ I believe most buyers would choose the dealer.

Anyone that wouldn't is an idiot and deserves what he might get.
Point taken. But the dealer has more overhead so to stay in business, The dealer has to charge more.