Best trimmer for 5 acre lot

Bomba

Threads
I'd go with the FS 90R (11.7lbs)or FS110 (12.8lbs) and if weight of machine is an issue the FS 100RX (10.8lbs).

Thanks yet again RIC. how important is power when when trimming grass and weeds?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'd go with the FS 90R (11.7lbs)or FS110 (12.8lbs) and if weight of machine is an issue the FS 100RX (10.8lbs).

Thanks yet again RIC. how important is power when when trimming grass and weeds?

Power can be very important depending on what you are trimming and choice of machine can be important if you are going to want to use blade attachments and such. The FS-90 and 110 are both I believe solid steel drive shaft trimmers with the 28cc and 31cc engines designed for use with attachments (Metal type cutting tools). The FS-100RX is a 31cc with what they refer to as there Flex Cable I believe, that's why the difference in weight and its uses are basically that of a string trimming. The other thing you need to know if you're not aware is that all three Stihl units are the 4 stroke units (4Mix) single cylinder four stroke engine with gasoil lubrication and which is a more powerful engine than the conventional two stoke engine IMO.

I can tell you that I used the Echo SRM-210 and the PE-200 for the first two years in the business and they were good solid units and still run today but after that two years I seen a loss in power and that's when I turn to Stihl and there 4mix units and never looked back and that was 5 years ago and they have never let me down and still have the power they did when new.

Last edited:

Bomba

Threads
Power can be very important depending on what you are trimming and choice of machine can be important if you are going to want to use blade attachments and such. The FS-90 and 110 are both I believe solid shaft trimmers with the 28cc and 31cc engines designed for use with attachments (Metal type cutting tools). The FS-100RX is a 31cc with what they refer to as there Flex Cable I believe, that's why the difference in weight and its uses are basically that of a string trimming. The other thing you need to know if you're not aware is that all three Stihl units are the 4 stroke units (4Mix) single cylinder four stroke engine with gasoil lubrication and which is a more powerful engine than the conventional two stoke engine IMO.

I can tell you that I used the Echo SRM-210 and the PE-200 for the first two years in the business and they were good solid units and still run today but after that two years I seen a loss in power and that's when I turn to Stihl and there 4mix units and never looked back and that was 5 years ago and they have never let me down and still have the power they did when new.

That is very helpful. Yes I have a 4 stroke blower (BR 600) I believe. My current trimmer is a 29cc craftsman that I bought before I knew anything about trimmers etc. it's so heavy too, my arms are hurting from trimming for 2 hours last Sunday. I'm not sure I understand the Flex cable thing though.

Bomba

Threads
That is very helpful. Yes I have a 4 stroke blower (BR 600) I believe. My current trimmer is a 29cc craftsman that I bought before I knew anything about trimmers etc. it's so heavy too, my arms are hurting from trimming for 2 hours last Sunday. I'm not sure I understand the Flex cable thing though.

Correction, that trimmer is a 19cc.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

The Flex cable thing means what it says. The drive shaft is going to be a layered cable not a steel shaft. Everything Echo makes with the exception of there 266-S and the 280-S is a 4 layer cable drive.

Bomba

Threads
The Flex cable thing means what it says. The drive shaft is going to be a layered cable not a steel shaft. Everything Echo makes with the exception of there 266-S and the 280-S is a 4 layer cable drive.

Ok I see what you mean. Stihl and Echo seem to be the top two trimmers on the market.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ok I see what you mean. Stihl and Echo seem to be the top two trimmers on the market.

IMO they are! :thumbsup:

I would say that Stihl and Echo have the Market cornered but there are others out there that are good machines as well, like Husqvarna, Kawasaki is up and coming with there hand held equipment. There just a little harder to find because of the lack of dealers.

Kodie's Lawn Service

Threads
You may wanna go with a km90r and get the trimmer attachment it is a little over price range with taxes though but worth it or the fs90r both are great :thumbsup:

Bomba

Threads
Haha FANATIC I know you love those brands. I went to my Stihl dealer yesterday, I think I like the FS130R. I particularly like the low vibration feature, and it has more power. Also works well with a brush blade.