Best tractor to start out!

Craftsman13

Threads
Hello I am a teenager and was looking to start a lawn mowing buissness but I don't have a car yet. People around me live on about 1/4 acre. I am looking for a tractor with a cutting deck small enough to fit through a gate. What is the best tractor for the job and how can I get my blower and weed whacker to the places I need to go?? I am looking for about 10 or less costumers because I don't need to live off the buissness. It's just to get a little extra cash. :smile:

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
What is available in your area for a dealer ? I'd measure the smallest gates you plan to go through and get a deck that is narrower than that.

Most RERs or Lawn Tractors can pull a small wagon to take your gas and other equipment with you. :thumbsup:

Craftsman13

Threads
The gates are 4 ft. wide and some yards have obstacles and some have hardly any obstacles.

LandN

Threads
Hello I am a teenager and was looking to start a lawn mowing buissness but I don't have a car yet. People around me live on about 1/4 acre. I am looking for a tractor with a cutting deck small enough to fit through a gate. What is the best tractor for the job and how can I get my blower and weed whacker to the places I need to go?? I am looking for about 10 or less costumers because I don't need to live off the buissness. It's just to get a little extra cash. :smile:

Sounds like you intend on using the tractor as your transportation as well as cut grass?are the rules of the road going to allow that in your area? maybe this can be an alternative if the tractor on the street don't work out....... if you have a near full size bike or have access to one, there are bicycle cargo trailers that you can buy that can hold the weight of a mower and other equipment.google bicycle cargo trailers and check them out. but still check your local laws concerning that. with the small yards you plan on cutting you should be able to just get a 21/22" mower, trimmer, blower,and maybe not resort to the tractor.but this is just an idea.

Craftsman13

Threads
Unfortunately I don't have access to a bike. Other than a tractor or bike, is there any other reasonable ways of getting around? Where I live they allow me to drive a tractor on the road. So if I got a tractor and pulled behind a little trailer, would it be best if I brought a small push mower and used that instead of the tractor? And just used the tractor to pull the trailer?:smile:

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I believe it will depend mainly on how much is neighborhood and if any traffic is going to be impacted by slow moving lawn tractor. I think the "Slow Moving Vehicle" triangular sign mounted on the back of the tractor and or towed cart would make it less likely that there would be any problem.

If you are allowed to use a tractor ...... why would a Lawn Tractor be any different ?

Bowzer967

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am doing the same,I suggest pulling a wagon behind your mower,make sure it's small enough to,and bring extra gas,if your transporting on the mower if you don't you'll run out. : )

Craftsman13

Threads
There is not alot of traffic in my neighborhood. I could easily go down the street and not have one car pass me. If I were to use a tractor to pull a trailer with a small mower in it, then what tractor do you suggest I use? And what size trailer do I get? Also keep in mind that I am on a low budget of about 800$ or less for everything. Thanks for all your help!!:smile:

possum

Threads
With little traffic and most likely sidewalks I would just walk. I would for sure just walk if I had a limited budget.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I believe, if your intention is to mow for some income, you could find a good used yard tractor or riding mower and a cart to tow for any other equipment and spare gas. I don't believe you will need anything larger than a mower or lawn tractor to pull the cart and do your mowing. you could also put a push mower or string trimmer in the cart for trimming.