Best Commercial Mulching Mower for Nebraska

LoCo86

Threads
Ok thanks. What I should have said earlier is most of my lawns are around 5,000 Sq. Ft. And I only have two over 10k which are about 15k and a 17k.

Those are some small yards. Why no just step up to a 30" Toro. But if you want a 36" Toro or Scag would be you best options. Though Toro is more well known for its mulching performance. I don't know how many lawns you have but you can't go wrong with a walk behind mower with a sulky. Also be sure to consider dealer support for parts and labor if you need help in that department.

Conn0r33

Threads
Those are some small yards. Why no just step up to a 30" Toro. But if you want a 36" Toro or Scag would be you best options. Though Toro is more well known for its mulching performance. I don't know how many lawns you have but you can't go wrong with a walk behind mower with a sulky. Also be sure to consider dealer support for parts and labor if you need help in that department.
I've been thinking about the 30" toro for a long time, but the reason I'm thinking about bigger mowers is because when it summer and it 90 degrees out I don't want to walk behind a mower I want to ride. :)
Also I heard if you use a sulky with a walk behind it will wear the transmission out faster because of your extra weight. So I was wondering if a stand on has a better transmission to account for having to pull someone.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've been thinking about the 30" toro for a long time, but the reason I'm thinking about bigger mowers is because when it summer and it 90 degrees out I don't want to walk behind a mower I want to ride. :)
Also I heard if you use a sulky with a walk behind it will wear the transmission out faster because of your extra weight. So I was wondering if a stand on has a better transmission to account for having to pull someone.

I agree that those are some small lawns. Do you plan on growing your business and getting larger properties to mow? If so then a ztr mower wouldn't be a bad investment. if not then you may be better off going with a 36" walk behind, or smaller stand on. Ric would be better suited to answer your questions concerning stand on vs walk behind vs ztr for smaller lawns. I live in an area where the lawn sizes range from a half acre to 5 or 6 acres. I have no experience with mowing small lawns.

Conn0r33

Threads
I agree that those are some small lawns. Do you plan on growing your business and getting larger properties to mow? If so then a ztr mower wouldn't be a bad investment. if not then you may be better off going with a 36" walk behind, or smaller stand on. Ric would be better suited to answer your questions concerning stand on vs walk behind vs ztr for smaller lawns. I live in an area where the lawn sizes range from a half acre to 5 or 6 acres. I have no experience with mowing small lawns.
I now have three lawns over 15k Sq. ft. Just added another today. One has a section of a steep slope so I doubt a ztr could handle that lawn. I have about 10 lawns not sure exact # unless I check. But 3 are over or at 15k the rest are between 10k-5k square feet.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
I now have three lawns over 15k Sq. ft. Just added another today. One has a section of a steep slope so I doubt a ztr could handle that lawn. I have about 10 lawns not sure exact # unless I check. But 3 are over or at 15k the rest are between 10k-5k square feet.

Commercial ztr mowers have larger hydros than residential models and weigh more as well. Most can handle pretty significant inclines ok. I wouldn't assume a ztr mower couldn't handle an incline. However, it does sound as though your best option for the present would be either a walk behind, or a stand on. You can always get a ztr mower at a later time if you do pick up a few larger properties. Ferris has a mower called the evolution. It is the size of a stand on but has a saddle style seat. I believe they run between $5k and $6k. Might be worth looking at.

Conn0r33

Threads
Commercial ztr mowers have larger hydros than residential models and weigh more as well. Most can handle pretty significant inclines ok. I wouldn't assume a ztr mower couldn't handle an incline. However, it does sound as though your best option for the present would be either a walk behind, or a stand on. You can always get a ztr mower at a later time if you do pick up a few larger properties. Ferris has a mower called the evolution. It is the size of a stand on but has a saddle style seat. I believe they run between $5k and $6k. Might be worth looking at.
Thanks to everyone this really helps. I know that ZTRs can handle an incline i just don't think they could handle some of the inclines I have to deal with. And right now I'm looking for a versatile mower. Because I do not want to own more than two commercial mowers max and I will probably only have one at this time. So I want it to be able to handle everything so that I don't have to turn away customers due to my mower. Also I just don't unsestand the appeal of ZTRs they don't seem as versatile and I just don't get why companies pick them over something like a stand on. Would people just rather sit than stand that bad?

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks to everyone this really helps. I know that ZTRs can handle an incline i just don't think they could handle some of the inclines I have to deal with. And right now I'm looking for a versatile mower. Because I do not want to own more than two commercial mowers max and I will probably only have one at this time. So I want it to be able to handle everything so that I don't have to turn away customers due to my mower. Also I just don't unsestand the appeal of ZTRs they don't seem as versatile and I just don't get why companies pick them over something like a stand on. Would people just rather sit than stand that bad?

You can get a 44" commercial ztr mower for small lawns as well. They are versatile enough to handle most jobs. You would be amazed at th inclines I have seen them used on. Stand ons are probably better at tight places and inclines, but ztr mowers can handle small jobs. The reason most companies around here use ztr mowers is because the average lawns around here are much larger than what you are mowing. The goal is to do a good job in the least amount of time possible and move on to the next lawn. It doesn't appear that you are going to be taking on many larger properties, so a ztr may not be right for you. Have you looked into the ferris evolution I mentioned? I do know that I wouldn't want to stand the entire time I am mowing my 4.2 acre lawn.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

As far as the inclines goe most ztr manuals will tell you not to mow anything over 15 degrees but most of the commercial units can handle more than that. Kawasaki rates there engines to operate continuously at angles up to 25 degrees in any direction. With the mowers you've mentioned the Toro Grandstand will get you the most for your money. It would be the most productive and you wouldn't have to buy a mulch kit. It has an adjustable chute so with a set of G6 Gator blades you'd be downtown.
The 36" Grandstand here is running $7495 but you can get it for some less. It doesn't run the Hydro-Gear Transmissions, it running separate pump and wheel motors which Imo are far better. As far as slopes the the GS or Z Master will handle 22 degrees I know because I mow that in my side yard. The 30" you mentioned and I'm assuming it's the Turf-Master, it's an excellent mulching mower also with a time savings of like 40% over the 21" I've had mine for almost 3 years and I love the thing. The Kawasaki FJ 180V KAI engine is great. The TM or Exmark 30 either one can be had for like $1699

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
As far as the inclines goe most ztr manuals will tell you not to mow anything over 15 degrees but most of the commercial units can handle more than that. Kawasaki rates there engines to operate continuously at angles up to 25 degrees in any direction. With the mowers you've mentioned the Toro Grandstand will get you the most for your money. It would be the most productive and you wouldn't have to buy a mulch kit. It has an adjustable chute so with a set of G6 Gator blades you'd be downtown.
The 36" Grandstand here is running $7495 but you can get it for some less. It doesn't run the Hydro-Gear Transmissions, it running separate pump and wheel motors which Imo are far better. As far as slopes the the GS or Z Master will handle 22 degrees I know because I mow that in my side yard. The 30" you mentioned and I'm assuming it's the Turf-Master, it's an excellent mulching mower also with a time savings of like 40% over the 21" I've had mine for almost 3 years and I love the thing. The Kawasaki FJ 180V KAI engine is great. The TM or Exmark 30 either one can be had for like $1699

I was hoping you would post on here ric. You have more experience with stand ons than most of the rest of us. What is your opinion on stand on vs walk behind with the size lawns the op is mowing?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I was hoping you would post on here ric. You have more experience with stand ons than most of the rest of us. What is your opinion on stand on vs walk behind with the size lawns the op is mowing?

The Grandstand will be the most productive and best all around mower he can get for the lawns he is doing, in any size. Job wise it will be faster more maneuverable than either the ZTR or WB with a sulky. A WB with a sulky is a PITA and if you don't believe me try backing one up with a sulky on the back especially the belt drive when it's operator assist.

If you want a walk behind you buy the Grandstand because that's what it is, just fold up the flex ride platform. It's the best of all three worlds. The Grandstand will go places and do things that you could never do with either of the others. The Grandstand is also better built and has the best warranty on the market, it has a 5 yr 1200 hour warranty, the others are 2 or 3 year. With the slopes he was talking about the Grandstand wouldn't be a problem because of it lower center of gravity than the rest.