Best Commercial Mulching Mower for Nebraska

Conn0r33

Threads
Hi, I currently have two Toro Super Recycle SR4 Mowers. They are the homeowner models. My business has recently stared getting a lot of customers and I am thinking about upgrading to a full commercial mower. I have been reviewing commercial mowers I have not narrowed down anything. I'm considers ZTRs Stand-Ons and Walk Behinds. The brands I have looked at are John Deere, Toro, Grasshopper, Snapper Pro, Gravely, Scag, and Hustler. There are probably some others that I forgot about. While reviewing brands I heard that where you live can effect how some brands preform based on what kind of grass you have in your area, and how wet you area is etc. So I am looking for some recommendations on what THE BEST commercial mulching mower is for Nebraska, or Midwest. I am mainly interested in what the BEST mulching mower is because I will be mulching 99% of the time. And also what would be the best brand for my area.

Thanks,
Connor

Conn0r33

Threads
Actually it doesn't have to be for Nebraska. Just what you believe is the absolute best mulching mower. I can narrow it down from there to what would be best for my area.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Actually it doesn't have to be for Nebraska. Just what you believe is the absolute best mulching mower. I can narrow it down from there to what would be best for my area.

All are very good mowers. You will get many different opinions about which is best. You will have to decide for yourself which is best. I suggest demoing as many as you can. All offer heavy duty commercial components and heavy duty commercial decks with mulching kits. All of them have blade tip speeds over 18000 fpm.

Conn0r33

Threads
All are very good mowers. You will get many different opinions about which is best. You will have to decide for yourself which is best. I suggest demoing as many as you can. All offer heavy duty commercial components and heavy duty commercial decks with mulching kits. All of them have blade tip speeds over 18000 fpm.
Thanks, I guess I should rephrase my question. I am wondering if anyone has experience with a commercial mower with a mulch kit. And how well it has preformed. Because just like the Toro Super Recycler is better then the Toro Recycler some are better then others. Or am I wrong and they are all basically the same and it will just be opinions?

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks, I guess I should rephrase my question. I am wondering if anyone has experience with a commercial mower with a mulch kit. And how well it has preformed. Because just like the Toro Super Recycler is better then the Toro Recycler some are better then others. Or am I wrong and they are all basically the same and it will just be opinions?

What you are asking will be opinion based only, and most of the replies that you get will be based solely on the experiences that the member has with the machines that he/she uses. Most on here have a particular brand that they go with and won't have experiences with other brands. You should demo every brand that you are interested in and form your own opinions. I don't mulch, but I can tell you that all of the brands you mentioned leave a great cut. They come with high lift blades and typically chop the clippings up smaller than a residential mower. They also disperse the clippings much better than a residential mower.

All offer mulching kits. You should set a budget and demo every model you can find within that budget. Dealer support should also be considered. If you are depending on these machines for your business you want a dealer that will get you back going as soon as possible in case there are any mechanical failures. I have used all of the brands that you mentioned except gravely and grass hopper. There are no local dealers for them in my area. Imo all of them offer high quality commercial mowers.

Each brand offers some particular features that make them different from the others, but the main components for all of them will be very similar. Example, all offer a similar drive train.

I don't know your budget, but I can give you some opinions on particular models that I have experience operating.

Hustler super z: one of my favorite mowers. It's expensive ($12k plus), but it mows faster than any other mower I have ever been on. Flex forks are offered to help improve the ride.

Hustler xone: another very well made mower. It is a step down in power train options from the super z, but is also a heavy duty commercial mower. $8k to $9k Price range.

John Deere 900 series: very pricey $10k to $12k range. Don't offer as large an engine as some other brands (27 hp, some brands offer 32 to 36 hp engines) but enough power. The 7 iron deck is the only commercial deck that is stamped instead of fabricated, and leaves a high quality cut. A Mulch On Demand deck is offered as well, but hasn't gotten great reviews on this site.

Scag cheetah: $9k to $11k range. Scag mowers have a great reputation for cutting wet grass. The cheetah has a high range switch on their hydros that will allow the mower to reach speeds up to 16 mph. It won't mow that fast. That's just a transport range. Very good mower. The turf tiger is their top model but they are very pricey as well.

Toro: the z master series is basically the same mower as the exmark lazer z series. This mowers are also very pricey, but high quality mowers that are very popular with lawn care businesses. Their top end models will also run in the $12k range.

Snapper pro: the s200xt will give you the most bang for your buck ($8,500 range). It is the top of snapper pro's line. The Icd deck leaves a great cut. Snapper pro and ferris are very similar (the only difference is the independant suspension offered on the ferris). Both are owned by briggs & Stratton. I own a 48" s150xt and mow my 4.2 acre lawn with it. It's a great mower.

Last edited:

Conn0r33

Threads
What you are asking will be opinion based only, and most of the replies that you get will be based solely on the experiences that the member has with the machines that he/she uses. Most on here have a particular brand that they go with and won't have experiences with other brands. You should demo every brand that you are interested in and form your own opinions. I don't mulch, but I can tell you that all of the brands you mentioned leave a great cut. They come with high lift blades and typically chop the clippings up smaller than a residential mower. They also disperse the clippings much better than a residential mower.

All offer mulching kits. You should set a budget and demo every model you can find within that budget. Dealer support should also be considered. If you are depending on these machines for your business you want a dealer that will get you back going as soon as possible in case there are any mechanical failures. I have used all of the brands that you mentioned except gravely and grass hopper. There are no local dealers for them in my area. Imo all of them offer high quality commercial mowers.

Each brand offers some particular features that make them different from the others, but the main components for all of them will be very similar. Example, all offer a similar drive train.

I don't know your budget, but I can give you some opinions on particular models that I have experience operating.

Hustler super z: one of my favorite mowers. It's expensive ($12k plus), but it mows faster than any other mower I have ever been on. Flex forks are offered to help improve the ride.

Hustler xone: another very well made mower. It is a step down in power train options from the super z, but is also a heavy duty commercial mower. $8k to $9k Price range.

John Deere 900 series: very pricey $10k to $12k range. Don't offer as large an engine as some other brands (27 hp, some brands offer 32 to 36 hp engines) but enough power. The 7 iron deck is the only commercial deck that is stamped instead of fabricated, and leaves a high quality cut. A Mulch On Demand deck is offered as well, but hasn't gotten great reviews on this site.

Scag cheetah: $9k to $11k range. Scag mowers have a great reputation for cutting wet grass. The cheetah has a high range switch on their hydros that will allow the mower to reach speeds up to 16 mph. It won't mow that fast. That's just a transport range. Very good mower. The turf tiger is their top model but they are very pricey as well.

Toro: the z master series is basically the same mower as the exmark lazer z series. This mowers are also very pricey, but high quality mowers that are very popular with lawn care businesses. Their top end models will also run in the $12k range.

Snapper pro: the s200xt will give you the most bang for your buck ($8,500 range). It is the top of snapper pro's line. The Icd deck leaves a great cut. Snapper pro and ferris are very similar (the only difference is the independant suspension offered on the ferris). Both are owned by briggs & Stratton. I own a 48" s150xt and mow my 4.2 acre lawn with it. It's a great mower.

Thank you so much I appreciate it. How far would you say is too far to go for a certain brand. I would be using the mowers for a business. The closest dealer sells Toro, Snapper Pro, and Grasshopper. I've checked toro prices and for the GrandStand it was over 8k which sounded pricey compared to the price I was quoted for Scag.
I've been leaning towards Stand Ons and Walk Behinds only if the WB had a sulky though. But I'm still considering ztrs but I don't know why people pick them over a stand on. Can you maybe convince me on ztrs the only way I see it is. They are bigger so you can't fit as many on a trailer compared to a stand on. Stand Ons handle the hills better. And ZTRs are more expensive.
I don't have much of a budget I don't think I would pay more than 8k and that's stretching it a bit.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank you so much I appreciate it. How far would you say is too far to go for a certain brand. I would be using the mowers for a business. The closest dealer sells Toro, Snapper Pro, and Grasshopper. I've checked toro prices and for the GrandStand it was over 8k which sounded pricey compared to the price I was quoted for Scag.
I've been leaning towards Stand Ons and Walk Behinds only if the WB had a sulky though. But I'm still considering ztrs but I don't know why people pick them over a stand on. Can you maybe convince me on ztrs the only way I see it is. They are bigger so you can't fit as many on a trailer compared to a stand on. Stand Ons handle the hills better. And ZTRs are more expensive.
I don't have much of a budget I don't think I would pay more than 8k and that's stretching it a bit.

Some ztrs are more expensive, but not all. I have limited experience with stand on mowers. They will probably handle smaller lawns a bit easier since they are smaller. They will also handle hills a little better. Ztr mowers have a little faster top speed and would handle larger properties quicker. As for dealer, you want a quality dealer that will give a good price, but also do quality repairs. Dealer quality would be more important than location. You don't, however, want to travel an hour to get to your dealer. Every minute your machines are not running takes money from your pocket. That's just my opinion. I don't currently work in lawn care, but have done so when I was younger.

Conn0r33

Threads
Some ztrs are more expensive, but not all. I have limited experience with stand on mowers. They will probably handle smaller lawns a bit easier since they are smaller. They will also handle hills a little better. Ztr mowers have a little faster top speed and would handle larger properties quicker. As for dealer, you want a quality dealer that will give a good price, but also do quality repairs. Dealer quality would be more important than location. You don't, however, want to travel an hour to get to your dealer. Every minute your machines are not running takes money from your pocket. That's just my opinion. I don't currently work in lawn care, but have done so when I was younger.
How do you know if a dealer is a quality dealer? I only have two lawns over 10k Sq. ft. so I'm guessing that smaller mowers like a stand on would be better.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
How do you know if a dealer is a quality dealer? I only have two lawns over 10k Sq. ft. so I'm guessing that smaller mowers like a stand on would be better.

Either a stand on or a 48" ztr would suit your needs well. See if you can find reviews online about your local dealers. You can also check with other lawn care companies in your area to see who they use. A large dealer may not get to your mowers in a timely manor, but a dealer who is too small may not keep as many parts in stock. You can get a very good commercial 48" ztr mower for less than the $8k quote you got for a grandstand.

Conn0r33

Threads
Either a stand on or a 48" ztr would suit your needs well. See if you can find reviews online about your local dealers. You can also check with other lawn care companies in your area to see who they use. A large dealer may not get to your mowers in a timely manor, but a dealer who is too small may not keep as many parts in stock. You can get a very good commercial 48" ztr mower for less than the $8k quote you got for a grandstand.
Ok thanks. What I should have said earlier is most of my lawns are around 5,000 Sq. Ft. And I only have two over 10k which are about 15k and a 17k.