battery worthless

rabbittracks

Forum Newbie
Threads
Two questions. (1) 2013 Toro Timecutter. 23 hp Kawasaki. I bought a battery Feb 2023 and was told by the sales people 3-6 mo warranty is all they'll offer now. So, I bought one at Lowes with a 6 mo warranty, the best I could find. I went out to crank it today. Dead. I tried 8 amp and 12 amp but charger kicked out when the red check light came on. 2 amp wouldn't work either. I paid about $60 for that little battery and now its worthless. Anybody got any idea where I can get a good one? (2) Can I jump start this mower off my truck battery?

LawnWizard

Threads
Two questions. (1) 2013 Toro Timecutter. 23 hp Kawasaki. I bought a battery Feb 2023 and was told by the sales people 3-6 mo warranty is all they'll offer now. So, I bought one at Lowes with a 6 mo warranty, the best I could find. I went out to crank it today. Dead. I tried 8 amp and 12 amp but charger kicked out when the red check light came on. 2 amp wouldn't work either. I paid about $60 for that little battery and now its worthless. Anybody got any idea where I can get a good one? (2) Can I jump start this mower off my truck battery?
It is likely not the battery. If you have not used it since purchasing the battery then you have a draw running in dead. More likely tho is that you used it for a short time and it was not charging. Get it running and check voltage at the battery. Should have about 13.0 to 14.0 depending on how dead the battery is. Check and report back, I or someone else will help from there. And yes, you can jump it from another 12V battery.

jimvw57

Threads
I tried a jump box on my mower and it wouldn't start. it would crank, but not fire. A new battery did the trick. I did not try any of my vehicles. I have used the jump box on cars and they would fire up.

Reverett

Threads
I've always had problems with batteries from HD, Lowes or discount auto parts stores. I get mine from NAPA or Interstate. I get 3 years out of them .

barny57

Threads
On a twin cylinder engine I always go with a battery which has a minimum of 375 CCA. Just looked up you unit and it is a twin, so I should have recommended using a SP-40 battery, not SP-35. I’m bad.
Don’t buy a battery for the warranty if you do take it back they prorate them anyway go to Menards and buy one for 35 bucks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’ve been personally using and installing Interstate batteries for the last ten years and have yet to see one that has failed before three years.

jcworks

Threads
It is likely not the battery. If you have not used it since purchasing the battery then you have a draw running in dead. More likely tho is that you used it for a short time and it was not charging. Get it running and check voltage at the battery. Should have about 13.0 to 14.0 depending on how dead the battery is. Check and report back, I or someone else will help from there. And yes, you can jump it from another 12V battery.
LawnWizard, you are right it was NOT the battery. I finally left it on all night. It would click on and charge for a little bit and then cut off because , I assume, the battery was down way way too low. The next morning it was at around 90% charged according to the meter on the charger. I left it till later when it was 100%. It would then turn the motor over so the battery was good. I don't know why it had gotten so low because the last i used it was early November. Anyway, it would not start and I dont know why. But I had a can of starting fluid. I sprayed a squirt in the air intake and it cranked immediately. I finished up my leaf mulching. I'm keeping it on trickle now all the time. From now on I'll crank it ever 30 days or so.

jcworks

Threads
I've always had problems with batteries from HD, Lowes or discount auto parts stores. I get mine from NAPA or Interstate. I get 3 years out of them .
Thanks Reverett, I'll remember that. I have NAPA close to me.

jcworks

Threads
I’ve been personally using and installing Interstate batteries for the last ten years and have yet to see one that has failed before three years.
Yeah they are the first ones I called about. 6 month warranty is all they'll do on a lawnmower battery.

jcworks

Threads
Don’t buy a battery for the warranty if you do take it back they prorate them anyway go to Menards and buy one for 35 bucks
My battery is working now. I have no idea where Menard's is. Is that an online outlet? You are right about the pro rating.