battery worthless

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On a twin cylinder engine I always go with a battery which has a minimum of 375 CCA. Just looked up you unit and it is a twin, so I should have recommended using a SP-40 battery, not SP-35. I’m bad.

jcworks

Threads
Exactly. So how you were able to charge a battery below 12 volts, much less 1volt, without a charger such as a Noco that has that capability, is beyond me, and doesn’t make sense.
Tiger, I don't know. Don't have a clue. I just know that when I found it dead I hooked up the Schumacher WM-1200 charger I've had for years. It started the sequence I outlined above. Start charging...then the light flashed one time , then it would try again, same thing. Third time same thing, and the the amp light (2, 8, 12) would cut off. I went through this several times, each time the voltage showing a little bit higher eventually up to around 6. At one time I saw it try to charge again on its on without me re-trying it (maybe its got a timer to do just that, no idea on that though). So I just left it hooked up and left it alone all night, I didn't think it could do any harm since it was in my mind "dead", done for. Next morning it was at 90% charged. Came back later in the morning ....100%. So I tried to crank it and the motor turned over. I didn't let it start. I've since just left it on 2amp. Last I looked it was still 100%. So to speak to your concern..I don't know. I'm no electrical whiz. I just know it showed 1v to begin with and eventually over many hours got up to 12-13v.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes those chip controlled unit like go flakey at times. The smart charger here that does both 6v an 12v will only change a fully depleted 12v battery to 6v. I use the solar to recover those batteries even though the 50 yr old charger works fine too.

gregboggess

Threads
Two questions. (1) 2013 Toro Timecutter. 23 hp Kawasaki. I bought a battery Feb 2023 and was told by the sales people 3-6 mo warranty is all they'll offer now. So, I bought one at Lowes with a 6 mo warranty, the best I could find. I went out to crank it today. Dead. I tried 8 amp and 12 amp but charger kicked out when the red check light came on. 2 amp wouldn't work either. I paid about $60 for that little battery and now its worthless. Anybody got any idea where I can get a good one? (2) Can I jump start this mower off my truck battery?

gregboggess

Threads
Two questions. (1) 2013 Toro Timecutter. 23 hp Kawasaki. I bought a battery Feb 2023 and was told by the sales people 3-6 mo warranty is all they'll offer now. So, I bought one at Lowes with a 6 mo warranty, the best I could find. I went out to crank it today. Dead. I tried 8 amp and 12 amp but charger kicked out when the red check light came on. 2 amp wouldn't work either. I paid about $60 for that little battery and now its worthless. Anybody got any idea where I can get a good one? (2) Can I jump start this mower off my truck battery?

kinard

Forum Newbie
Threads

Bigyard

Forum Newbie
Threads
Look on the battery and see when it was manufactured.
A lot of stores have old stock and don't keep them charged up.
Are you sure it was not rebuilt?

SHB

Threads
Some chargers need to see a minimum voltage across the terminals to turn on, this is to protect the charger in case the leads are shorted. Thus they won’t turn on and charge if the battery is totally dead. I trick the circuit by connecting the charger to the dead battery, then momentarily jump another battery in parallel with one I am trying to charge. This gets the charger started, generally the current from the charger is enough to raise the battery voltage to the point where it stays on.

eagle86801

Threads
I bought Die Hard at Advanced Auto Supply for $66. tax included in 10/7/2022 3 month replacement . Its still cranking fine . I put a solar trickle charge on it all winter but I do start the mower at least once a month . Last Die Hard lasted me 5 years . Good luck

jimvw57

Threads
New 'smart' chargers are a waste of money, they claim almost every battery is junk. (although most new batteries are junk) get one of those big tall chargers that are on wheels that the service stations use and it will charge anything. I had to buy a new battery for my Husqvarna zero turn this fall, and now it will be sitting for months during the winter. I plugged it into a Battery Tender so I hope it survives the winter, also it is disconnected and in the basement. Didn't find any batteries with a warranty of more than 6 months, most were 3 months, so I got one oversize and now need to modify the hold down bracket.