battery worthless

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I’ve been personally using and installing Interstate batteries for the last ten years and have yet to see one that has failed before three years.
No issues here with interstate either. they're reasonably priced as well... i was getting Continental batteries through my employed occupation for awhile for $35 bucks... they sucked. i had several people get only two years out of a continental, and thats with a battery tender in the winter months....Like you, no problems with interstate thus far.

Reverett

Threads
Yeah they are the first ones I called about. 6 month warranty is all they'll do on a lawnmower battery.
As others have said don't buy a battery because of the warranty. NAPA and Interstate will be more expensive but it's like buying 3 of the cheap ones to 1 of these. And I'm not aware of any battery dealer that warrants a mower battery longer than 6 months.

mcspeed

Threads
Manufacturers don’t offer longer warrantees on these small batteries because they are very critical of maintenance. Longer periods of no use, parasitic draw etc all contribute to a short battery life.

Get the govt involved and force a 1 yr warranty and your $65 battery will be $85 or more. You will be funding the battery ignorance program. Don’t educate the people just charge them to be stupid?

Just take care of the battery and it will last 3+ years easily.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have worked on lots of John deere mowers with batteries 8 and even 10 years old. They do cost more but they last longer than most other batteries.

FarmGeezer

Threads
Get a battery tender and use it! The tender will keep a battery charged up and will switch to storage mode when the battery is charged...It will not however charge a dead battery. I have a 3 yr. old Federated battery that is still strong because I use a Battery Tender. Just a thought...

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use 10 battery tenders on stuff in the barn every year. Beats buying $100 deep cycle batteries every year.

jcworks

Threads
Get a battery tender and use it! The tender will keep a battery charged up and will switch to storage mode when the battery is charged...It will not however charge a dead battery. I have a 3 yr. old Federated battery that is still strong because I use a Battery Tender. Just a thought...
Thanks Geezer. After I posted this I realized the charger I have goes into a maintenance mode (I think) once its fully charged. I'm pretty sure it goes into the 2 amp mode and kicks on and off as needed, so that works like a tender. I just leave it on the battery all the time now.