Battery not charging

chance123

Threads
The lowest setting possible on my multimeter, which is 200. However, the flywheel is undoubtedly the problem.

If that is 200 mv, it is not the correct setting. In my 45 years, I have never seen a bad FW. If the magnets have magnetisim, "that" is all that is required. Many magnets are epoxied to the FW and I have seen this adheisive fail where the magnets separate from the flywheel.

Truckdriver09

Threads
That is the problem though, I have absolutely no magnetism. I don't know if the magnets are cast into this flywheel or expoxied on there. I do not see any marks where any magnets would have been, so Im just going to assume that they are cast, but I can't get a paperclip to stick anywhere on the flywheel.

No magnetism is what I mean't about the flywheel being bad, I should have worded that better.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can you post up a photo of the flywheel for us to see please..? .....you never know...!

chance123

Threads
That is the problem though, I have absolutely no magnetism. I don't know if the magnets are cast into this flywheel or expoxied on there. I do not see any marks where any magnets would have been, so Im just going to assume that they are cast, but I can't get a paperclip to stick anywhere on the flywheel.

No magnetism is what I mean't about the flywheel being bad, I should have worded that better.

Duh! There's your answer. You have an engine with a flywheel that was "not" manufactured for use with a charging system.

Truckdriver09

Threads
Duh! There's your answer. You have an engine with a flywheel that was "not" manufactured for use with a charging system.

I've had this mower for nearly a year and it just recently got to the point where it would start to die from voltage on the battery getting too low (electric clutch). So the charging system was working for a while and it takes 3-4 hours to cut my grass.

chance123

Threads
I've had this mower for nearly a year and it just recently got to the point where it would start to die from voltage on the battery getting too low (electric clutch). So the charging system was working for a while and it takes 3-4 hours to cut my grass.

Well, if there is no magnetic attraction on the inside of your flywheel, you obviously need a new one. What is strange is that if the engine runs, that means that the magnet on the "outside" of the FW (for ignition) is good. I am wondering if 12v was somehow sent to the wires that come out of the armature, therefore "demagnetizing" those magnets.