Battery not charging

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Highly doubt it is the flywheel, but it could happen. I would take the stator off and make sure that the areas where it contacts the engine (ground) is extremely clean and bolts tight. Check the stator tests 3a & 3b with the stator off the engine. Also, don't want to get smart, but I have had people install it upside down.

Truckdriver09

Threads
Ok, thanks I will do those things tomorrow and report back. However, for test 3b. doesn't the stator have to be bolted to the motor or is that incorrect?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Use the stator frame as ground.

Truckdriver09

Threads
ok, i did the same tests with the stator off of the mower and got the exact same results. i looked at the underside of the flywheel and i didnt see any magnets. are they supposed to be glued to the underside of the flywheel or are they inside of thr flywheel itself?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Magnets are on the inside of the flywheel, most of the time cast into it. Take a screw driver and test. Are you using an analog or digital volt meter. Analog may not be able to read below 1ohm accurately. Reading across the two stator leads should be around .1-.2 ohms. Infinity is bad. When you test resistance for one stator lead to ground infinity is good, any reading is bad. Do this with each lead separately.

Truckdriver09

Threads
yeah i did all of those tests and all passed. i also took a screwdriver and touched it to the inside of the flywheel, there was no magnetizing. also i am using a digital multimeter

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If all the tests on the stator passed, stators good. If you have no magnetism on the inside of the flywheel, that's bad. Sorry for making you do all those test over again, I just didn't think it would be the flywheel. I can't believe it, I can count on less than one hand all the flywheels that I have replaced because they lost their magnetism, in the last forty years. I suggest that you start calling all the repair shops and bone yards looking for a used one. New ones are expensive.

Truckdriver09

Threads
thats ok. i appreciate you taking the time to help me. usually for me, its the worse case scenario when it comes to something being broken

chance123

Threads
I am curious as to the settings on your VOM. You said it is set to AC v, but what voltage setting is it at?

Truckdriver09

Threads
The lowest setting possible on my multimeter, which is 200. However, the flywheel is undoubtedly the problem.