Battery issue - 03 Tiger Cub - 23hp Kawasaki

skooter94

Threads
So I have been having a few issues this summer. I believe I have a coil going bad. It looses power and comes back. When it is running normal I took the right spark plug cap off and it was doing the exactly the same thing. That's why I think that. Any chance that could be causing my battery to drain? I had it go dead on me so I bought a new one. ( It was pretty old anyways ). Something is still draining the battery. I can mow one yard go to the next and crank it and turn over a few times then nothing. I can jump it and it start up. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The ignition coil and the charging system are totally different, and not related. Start with the engine's model-type numbers

skooter94

Threads
The mechanic at work thinks it might be the voltage regulator. Any chance that could be why I'm having the coil problem? Maybe it doesn't have enough volts to travel to the second coil?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Huh? post your engine's model numbers...

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The mechanic at work thinks it might be the voltage regulator. Any chance that could be why I'm having the coil problem? Maybe it doesn't have enough volts to travel to the second coil?

As Fish has already mentioned, TWO DIFFERENT SYSTEMS!!!! The engine ignition system makes it own electricity for spark as it turns over.
Please post your machine model and S/N or S/N series as in the first three numbers or a letter and three numbers.
Also need your engine model, type and code numbers. Kawasaki made 3,999 different 23 HP vertical shaft engines and then changed the HP ratings on some making more different engines!!!:laughing:

skooter94

Threads
Model STC 52A-23KA
Serial 9290312
Motor
FH68OV-BS32-R
Engine #
FH 68OVB3(or s not sure)0992

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here is a link to where you can find the manual for your machine. The electrical schematic is on page 64 of the manual for your machine.
403 Forbidden Find your S/N range and click on manuals, it is a pdf download.
The engine ignition circuit is the white wire from the magneto wire in the Kawasaki adapter harness all the way to the key switch. With the key switch in the off position, the engine magneto coils are grounded so the engine will shut off and with the key switch in the on/start position this circuit is open to allow the engine to run. At the bottom of the wiring diagram, notice that there are two white wires, one to the key switch the other to the control module. This is the safety control for machine operation.
On the engine itself and not shown in the wiring diagram, is a "Y" harness that connects to each magneto coil of which there are two on your engine. Wired into this harness in each leg of the Y is a diode which prevents magneto electrical backfeed from going to either magneto/ignition coil so the engine can be shut off with a single contact in the key switch.
The flywheel on the engine contains two separate sets of magnets, the outer set, just two small magnets are for magneto magnetic flux and spark timing. These magnets can be easily seen with the blower cover removed from the engine.
The other set of magnets are located in the under side of the flywheel and are installed in a circle. Inside this circle of magnets and attached to the top of the engine is another unit called a stator. As the flywheel magnets pass around the stator, it puts out alternating current, AC. The output of the stator( two wires in a plug) is connected to the input of a regulator rectifier. The R/R blocks the portion of the AC that is the wrong polarity and allows the correct portion the be regulated and then passes to the single output wire. This wire is the yellow one that goes to the 20 AMP fuse, and on to the key switch. When the key switch is in the on position, the charging system output is connected to the red wire and will feed/charge the electrical system/battery.
When the key switch is in the off position, the charging system output circuit is open so battery power will not backfeed thru the regulator and drain the battery when the engine is not running.
Time for another adult beverage!!!:thumbsup:
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

skooter94

Threads
Here is a link to where you can find the manual for your machine. The electrical schematic is on page 64 of the manual for your machine.
403 Forbidden Find your S/N range and click on manuals, it is a pdf download.
The engine ignition circuit is the white wire from the magneto wire in the Kawasaki adapter harness all the way to the key switch. With the key switch in the off position, the engine magneto coils are grounded so the engine will shut off and with the key switch in the on/start position this circuit is open to allow the engine to run. At the bottom of the wiring diagram, notice that there are two white wires, one to the key switch the other to the control module. This is the safety control for machine operation.
On the engine itself and not shown in the wiring diagram, is a "Y" harness that connects to each magneto coil of which there are two on your engine. Wired into this harness in each leg of the Y is a diode which prevents magneto electrical backfeed from going to either magneto/ignition coil so the engine can be shut off with a single contact in the key switch.
The flywheel on the engine contains two separate sets of magnets, the outer set, just two small magnets are for magneto magnetic flux and spark timing. These magnets can be easily seen with the blower cover removed from the engine.
The other set of magnets are located in the under side of the flywheel and are installed in a circle. Inside this circle of magnets and attached to the top of the engine is another unit called a stator. As the flywheel magnets pass around the stator, it puts out alternating current, AC. The output of the stator( two wires in a plug) is connected to the input of a regulator rectifier. The R/R blocks the portion of the AC that is the wrong polarity and allows the correct portion the be regulated and then passes to the single output wire. This wire is the yellow one that goes to the 20 AMP fuse, and on to the key switch. When the key switch is in the on position, the charging system output is connected to the red wire and will feed/charge the electrical system/battery.
When the key switch is in the off position, the charging system output circuit is open so battery power will not backfeed thru the regulator and drain the battery when the engine is not running.
Time for another adult beverage!!!:thumbsup:
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Wow that's a lot of info. So are you saying I should check the wires to make sure there's not a broken one?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
My intent was to give you some basic info about your machine and where you can find the manuals. You need to find someone experienced with power equipment and DC electricity to troubleshoot your machine.
The Kawasaki engine on your machine has been discontinued by Kawasaki and the manual is no longer available on the kawpower site. Manuals are available on line, just need to search some for them.
I have replaced ignition coils on several older Kawasaki twin engines for customers. Kawasaki has upgraded these coils several times over the years as indicated by part number changes. But a proper diagnosis of the engine itself, ignition and charging systems is needed.

Last edited: