Battery issue - 03 Tiger Cub - 23hp Kawasaki

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
scooter. Mackie , I think, has described "current" which moves (voltage does not). So the drain check above will report on problems along the path. Perhaps careful removal of the switch and "beeb" checks or resistance checks while wiggling the key on the positions. Switches have contacts which wear down and can get sloppy. Corrosion can produce conductor paths where you do not want them...top of battery or bracket. Hour meter stuck on etc.

skooter94

Threads
Something new happened tonight. First a little background. I mow on the side after work. I spread them out over 3 nights because of my kids sports. So Tue, after I charged the battery I mowed for about 1 1/2. Wed was about a hour. Tonight it fired right up pulled it and had a flat tire. So I pulled it around to the garage to fix. After the tire went to start it and it gave me a one click sound and nothing. Turned the key about 5 times, same thing everytime then it turned over and started. So here's where the weird part comes in. Mowed about 1:10 and it died like I just turned the key off. Turn the key and the only noise came from the relay under the key. It was a buzzing sound when the key was in start postion. I took a battery out of my neighbors mower and hooked it up and it fired right up and I finished mowing about another 35 minutes. So could there be s problem with the starter and maybe it's draining the battery or maybe that relay? I really have had enough of this.

skooter94

Threads
I tested the battery this morning. 12.13 and only 65 cca. It's rated at 230cca. So I'm thinking it's something in the switch our starter. Anybody have a thought on that?

skooter94

Threads
The mechanic at the repair shop said he would bet money that it's the switch. So I bought a new one, we'll see how it goes. Probably won't do any mowjng next week because of how dry it is.

skooter94

Threads
Re: Battery issue - 03 Tiger Cub - 23hp Kawasaki UPDATE!

So it's been 10 days since I replaced the switch. I have not touched it and went out this evening and it fired up no problem. Hope this helps someone else.

skooter94

Threads
Believe it or not I still have a problem. Mowed Tue for a hour, Wed for 45 min then went to unload it at home and the battery was dead. One thing I did notice was when I turned the key there is like a 2 to 3 second delay before the motor turns over. I am at a lost again.

skooter94

Threads
I mowed a couple of days last week and when I parked it I unhooked the battery. Went to start it tonight and it was dead. What could be killing it while I'm mowing?

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
My craftsman has an ammeter and will swing between about 5 amp discharge and 10 amp charge. Who knows how accurate that is, but it gives some indication of current usage. How long do you mow-hours??? Experts must chime in here, but unless you are running headlights (you got 'em?) I can only think of an electric clutch on mine that would demand current. I do not know if the clutch demands current at all time to remain engaged. Something is drawing down your bats and it is time/load related. But a new battery should be recoverable. Get and use a battery hydrometer frequently-very cheap and useful. You still have not performed the bat drain test? Senior is right about the rectifier diodes. They clip half the wave coming off the alternator so that the bat sees only DV voltage. Someone must confirm that the other portion the wave is counter productive-seems like it would be.

skooter94

Threads
I haven't been able to check anything else yet. I have no lights. To be honest I'm not very good on electrical issues but I'm trying. The hour vary when it acts up like tonight. Fully charged battery, mowed 3 yards for about 1:45. Came home to now mine and click. Here's the weird part, I jumped it and started mowing. It went to die and I shut the PTO off and it stayed running. Try to to turn it back on and nothing. Got a bettery from my neighbor and it started and the PTO engaged perfect. Everyone I talk to say they have never heard of something like this.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Charging/electrical system problem, It needs to be checked out.