Bar and chain selection

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds 1/4 pitch chain and the 1/8" stone should work.

Depth gauges setting haven't been a problem here yet. But some looks like I would need the 5/16" stone ground for dong depth gauges, Currently I use 1/4" stone.

As for type you run is more of the users preference. For me most any chain works well as long it is properly sharpen. Even that square ground carbide chain that I manage to dull work well until I dulled it.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have 1/8" wheels. Some of the new electric saws have teeth so small the 1/8" won't fit between the tooth and raker. Smaller than the stihl micro chisel.

Most of the cutting I do is cutting down and bucking big dead ash, hackberry and oaks for farmers around me. My brother in law heats with wood and his MS290 struggles in big wood. I have a hot rodded 660 clone and I drop and and buck it for him. Most stuff 24 to 36 inch diameter. Semi chisel is way slower than full chisel with a 25" bar buried in an old oak.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't you have the printed catalog? in the 2022 catalog page 1399 clearly shows the Oregon bar number, The four chars is the mount.

And the 2023 Oregon catalog page For 43 the CS2258 is shown with K095 mounts.

Cutting in a curve is either a improperly sharpen chain or worn bar rails. Probably need to look at the chain and bar yourself. Probably just need the cutters resharpen and depth gauges set at the proper height.

Per Oregon the chain would sharpen at 30 degrees with 10 degree down tilt. Depth gauge are filed to .025". Personally I just forget the 10 degree down angle. 3/16 file if hand filing but I use a grinder myself nowadays. But these grinders take patience to learn how not the burn the cutters. A lot easier to get all the cutter the same with the grinder.

OK, I found my catalog, and I'm not seeing much more info than what's on their webpage. I do see the D009 number. That's just an Oregon part number.

I just spent 20 minutes on the phone with a Stens rep. He and I are on about the same knowledge level when I comes to bars and chains. Except for a couple of things I knew and he didn't. (pat myself on the back with just 2 fingers). Like me, he only knows pitch, gauge and driver count.

So, since the order has been filled and ready to ship, I may end up eating this bar & chain. But I'll be able to see with my own eyes, how it's not going to work. 076-2036 isn't going to work.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
OK, I found my catalog, and I'm not seeing much more info than what's on their webpage. I do see the D009 number. That's just an Oregon part number.

I just spent 20 minutes on the phone with a Stens rep. He and I are on about the same knowledge level when I comes to bars and chains. Except for a couple of things I knew and he didn't. (pat myself on the back with just 2 fingers). Like me, he only knows pitch, gauge and driver count.

So, since the order has been filled and ready to ship, I may end up eating this bar & chain. But I'll be able to see with my own eyes, how it's not going to work. 076-2036 isn't going to work.
The D009 is basically the bar mount for the Dolmar/Makita 6400 series and larger and the Husqvarna saws above 60cc. And if anybody has heard of Solo saws then the 662-667-680-690-694 are D009 K095 is the 42-50cc saws in the Makita/Dolmar, Husqvarna, Poulan,Jonsered. and Solo saws. And the A041 is the 32-40 cc saw sizes.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Because Oregon supplies a lot of OEM bas and because Oregon also supplies aftermarket bars for almost every saw ever made, it's bar end code has become sort of the universal default.
IF you looked at the Oregon catelogue page I dug out & sent a link to you would have seen that each Oregon bar had an equivalent Windsor & Carlton number listed as well.
As for your rep, not surprised most reps only know how to use the current catelogue better than you and of course have access to previous ones .
So most would have no idea about the difference between a 123-123 bar & a 123-456 bar other than the first fits these saws and the latter fits those saws.
My old rep had been in the industry for 50 years and knew everything , including all the mowers that were not listed in the catelogue .
His replacement is a very nice bloke, he came from the automotive industry o knows way less than I do about older mowers

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Because Oregon supplies a lot of OEM bas and because Oregon also supplies aftermarket bars for almost every saw ever made, it's bar end code has become sort of the universal default.
IF you looked at the Oregon catelogue page I dug out & sent a link to you would have seen that each Oregon bar had an equivalent Windsor & Carlton number listed as well.
And Windsor and Carlton are both owned by Oregon.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
From the Oregon catalog.
Jonsred CS2258-1.png
Jonsred CS2258-2.png

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Last edited: