Bar and chain selection

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
There you go. It is like my Husqvarna 450 which came with a 18" .325 Pixel BNC and now sports a 3/8" 20" bar and also now has an adjustable oiler where the original 450 had a fixed oiler which barely keep the 18" bar oiled. Now I can if I wanted go to a 24" bar but 20" is already to heavy and bar touches the ground when the saw is not in use.

This why I want my to bring their saws when they have problems with the BNC.

What I need to do is to find a light weight bar for mine.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
PT
"The rest has been trying to figure out why using the DL, gauge and pitch isn't the only info needed when ordering a new bar."

The saw determines what "mount" the bar needs to be. Here are 2 bars that are same gauge but fit in different saws.
View attachment 65709
One fits Stihl and the other Poulan. Both saws may take the same chain like .043--.325-50DL but the bars are not interchangeable. When looking for a bar for a saw you first have to determine the mount the saw takes and there may be different mounts in the same brand. The other thing is the pitch of the rim sprocket or spur gear. If you don't know the history of a saw it may have been changed. My MS170 came with a .043-.325 bar. It now sports a .050-3/8 bar and drive sprocket. Ordering an OEM bar and chain won't work because I changed the clutch drum to a 3/8 spur gear.

Thanks for that. I just double checked what I ordered and what's on the saw now. And both have closed ends, like the one pictured on the left.

alalcock

Forum Newbie
Threads
I haven't seen this saw yet.

My brother said he's got a Jonered CS58 (Note. He wasn't at his saw when he gave me the model number. But said he thinks that's the right one).

He was either sold the wrong blade or bar (or both). None the less, he says it won't cut at all. So I'm trying to figure out how to get the right bar & chain for it, as if he just handed me the saw with no bar or chain. Start from scratch, sort of speak.

He says the numbers on the original bar aren't visible.
I hate to say it - but make sure the chain is on the right way

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
What I need to do is to find a light weight bar for mine.
My 660 clone normally wears a Tsumura lightweight 25" bar which is manageable. I guess I thought I was Macho Man Randy Savage and bought a standard 36" bar for it. The saw will pull a 36" bar in oak and ash with full comp chain but it flat wears me out. Of course it goes through a tank if fuel 10 minutes of constant bucking so I get a lot of quick breaks to fuel up and take drugs.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Same reason I tool the 24" bar off the 070
And we have Aussie hard woods to cut not that wimpy US ash

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
PT you said you ordered the Stens 076-2036 which is a D009 mount. It WILL NOT FIT properly period. You have to order the bar and chain separately in this case.

If ordering from Stens you have to order either

075-3366 and 090-3726 .050 3/8 72 20"
or
075-3426 and 092-4726 .058 3/8 72 20"

1688832623284.png
I give up.

Last edited:

SamB

Threads
FWIW
On my saws I run 5 chains at a time
When all 5 have worn beyond safe use it is new chains & sprockets .
Stihl recommend a new sprocket every third chain
Never come across a chain that "won't cut" except the ones that were put on backwards
Gauge does not affect the ability to cut 3/8 x 050 or 3/8 x 068 same size of cutters and cutting edges .
To the saw the only difference is the chain is physically heavier, but not all that much
On bars that are excessively worn I usually go up one gauge size
When a saw comes in I measure the gauge then try that one & the next size bigger
A bigger gauge tends to make a cleaner cut as the blade does not rock left - right as much .

As for brands, there is not much in it
I used to fit Oregon for the pros because that is what one wholesaler kept
After that there was Carlton which I would call a high end domestic chain
Then there was the suppliers house brands which I would call acceptable for home owners
I am yet to try Stens Sabre brand as I still have 30 rolls of their previous chain that I bought cheap when they were running the old stock out a few years back
Same story with Oregon, when B & S took over the distribution I bought several 100' rolls that were discounted so have enough chains to last for decades and now B & S only bring in loops which are no use for a workshop as you need to keep 300 in sock & will never have the right one

Like everything else now days, most house brands will be made in China
And like everything else, if the chain & the bar has the brand stamped into it then it will be acceptable quality
If it is unbranded then it will be of dubious quality

As for your brother , fit what he wants .
This is the No 1 rule for all repair shops because the customer will never be happy & every problem with HIS saw will the YOUR fault because you fitted this JUNK chain .
There are 2 things you can not overcome
Stupidity & prejudice
If he want to practice both then let him pay 3 times the price because that is what will make him happy
Bertsmobile1 has nailed it, When dealing with the public, these are words to live by. Ignore them at your own peril.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
PT you said you ordered the Stens 076-2036 which is a D009 mount. It WILL NOT FIT properly period. You have to order the bar and chain separately in this case.

If ordering from Stens you have to order either

075-3366 and 090-3726 .050 3/8 72 20"
or
075-3426 and 092-4726 .058 3/8 72 20"

View attachment 65711
I give up.

The Stens chain and bar you listed was spot on. My brother loves that chain. It's very aggressive.

BTW, I took the saw up to the stihl shop and the guy and it appears the tip was an 050, but the bar was an 058. He didn't know the answer as to why the tip and the bar was different. Or how it even worked.

None the less, all is well and it's cutting like new.

Thank you to everyone.