Ariens MaxZoom 2560 - Weak Reverse

SJMaye

Threads
The right Hydro-Gear ZT3100 drive has become weak in reverse. The tag on the drive is below
HydroGear Right (Phone).jpg

I thought to check the hydraulic fluid reservoir (which supplies both left and right drives) and found it empty. This sort of perplexed me because other than the right side weak in reverse the unit performed fine. I filled the reservoir to the level for cold and performed the air purge. I pulled the bars used to disengage the drives, started the mower, and began performing the purge. Everything I had seen on this said the wheels would not turn when the drives were disengaged, but my tires turned. Not just a slow turn, but as if they were still connected. I thought I may have done something wrong.

Even after performing the purge routine several times the right side reverse is still very weak. Can someone tell me what I did wrong?

bullet bob

Threads
Sounds like you didn't fully disengage the drive. Try jacking up the mower & see if you can rotate the wheels by hand after you feel you have disengaged them. Bet you can't.

SJMaye

Threads
Sounds like you didn't fully disengage the drive. Try jacking up the mower & see if you can rotate the wheels by hand after you feel you have disengaged them. Bet you can't.
I thought the same thing. That is why I checked it over and over again. These were pulled out fully to the notches. When jacked up and disengaged the wheels were still engaged.

I will try again. Maybe I can pull those out even further.

bullet bob

Threads
I had the same problem with my Gravely. Turns out I wasn't being 'manly' enough. Really rip on that thing!

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
On some mowers you have to pull the release levers out and lock a pair of vice grips on them to make them release, Check the motion belt.

SJMaye

Threads
The shape of the release levers has an L-bend at the end to pull on. I was able to pry on it with a screwdriver and still nothing. In the meantime I noticed I have a charge pump cover leak. I just ordered the parts. I will tackle both when the parts arrive.

bullet bob

Threads
Don't tell anyone this, but I put a tow strap around each one & gave it a mighty tug. Piece of cake..........

SJMaye

Threads
Don't tell anyone this, but I put a tow strap around each one & gave it a mighty tug. Piece of cake..........
Around the disengage levers?

When I pull mine out as far as I could by hand there is a notch on the bottom that keeps them extended. What bothers me is there is no resistance to pull out at all. All the way to the notch. When I try to pull further it is dead stop. So much so I am afraid of breaking something. When I go to fix the charge pump I want a closer look to the actual arm that disengages it.

SJMaye

Threads
I am horrible at descriptions. I thought to get a diagram (below) showing the "dump valve lever". The arrow points at the notch. When the lever is pulled out the notch catches on part of the frame I assume to lock it in the extended position. When the lever is in that position the tires cannot be moved by hand. I assume because they are not disengaged. The lever moves with no resistance between engaged and disengaged positions. My charge pump parts arrive late today. I will install them tomorrow and take a closer look at the dump lever system.

2023-09-15_03-30-22.jpg

Last edited: