Are Raptor SD blades level? (deck leveling question)

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I understand that you were quoting from the gravely manual, I would just like to know what the "certain conditions" are. It would be great if you could find that out! I wouldnt mind betting it has something to do with mulching but thats only a guess. If mower manufacturers really wanted us to heel the deck, they would come like that from the factory!

Heeling the deck may add more to the striping look but as I said, the stripe should be secondary to the cut. I also understand that the grass will, or at least some of it be cut twice. ie, front and back but, what happens between the blades. I would hazard a guess and say you'll increase the risk of a tear rather than a cut, deck build up, choking, clumping etc.

But think about it, if grass is getting cut at the back of the deck, where do those clippings go? They will circulate around each chamber, get sent from the discharge side to the trim side. It already happens with a normal deck setting but if lower in back, its going to add to it. Clippings will be chopped up more which can be a good thing but if there is moisture, you will most likely get a mash and more deck build up which create more problems.

There are thousands upon thousands of lawn cutters out there. I'd bet the amount of guys that heel the deck would be barely registrable as a percentage.

As far as needing a commercial deck to create stripes, or get better ones, thats not necessarily true. Ive seen stripes from JD lawn tractors that are up there with the best of them!
To heel a deck just for a little more stripe seems well, crazy to me! Stick a roller or rubber flap on the back of the deck if its important to you! Remember, some grass types just stripe better also, even some commercial decks stripe better than others.

I went searching on the subject on this forum and came across this

Seems to me you were perfectly happy with the way it cut, or should of been! I cant figure out if you tried with the "heeled" setting or not so, did you? And is what you wrote here what happened? If so, its basically describing what I would expect!

From my research on here, seems you bring up "heeling" quite often. Have you actually done it yourself yet?

That's a very old post by me when I was researching and at that point no...I had not tried it yet(I was just "speculating" on the possibility of buildup). Since then I have added a Gravely OEM mulch kit.....AND....heeled my deck and I am VERY happy with the resulting cut quality improvement(and the complete disappearance of grass clippings:0).

Actually, when I first got my Gravely there was absolutely no grass clipping buildup underneath the deck(just like I stated). After mowing with it more, it began collecting clippings underneath the deck(especially in the "corners" and "flat edges" of the deck) requiring me to clean it after mowing. The brand new paint surface probably prevented it from collecting early on. After adding the mulch kit and heeling the deck the grass buildup was reduced by half and it only takes me about 5 minutes with a putty knife to clean after each mowing. I think part of the reason it reduced the buildup is that the Gravely mulch kit completely encloses each individual blade in a circular vacuum baffle. With nothing but rounded edges surrounding the blades there's really nowhere for the grass clippings to collect. Plus the mulch blade design inside the vacuum baffles force most of the clippings down and into the cut grass.

I can wholeheartedly recommend a mulch kit, along with heeling the deck, and there should not be any problem with buildup like you thought.

Micko

Threads
That's a very old post by me when I was researching and at that point no...I had not tried it yet(I was just "speculating" on the possibility of buildup). Since then I have added a Gravely OEM mulch kit.....AND....heeled my deck and I am VERY happy with the resulting cut quality improvement(and the complete disappearance of grass clippings:0).

Actually, when I first got my Gravely there was absolutely no grass clipping buildup underneath the deck(just like I stated). After mowing with it more, it began collecting clippings underneath the deck(especially in the "corners" and "flat edges" of the deck) requiring me to clean it after mowing. The brand new paint surface probably prevented it from collecting early on. After adding the mulch kit and heeling the deck the grass buildup was reduced by half and it only takes me about 5 minutes with a putty knife to clean after each mowing. I think part of the reason it reduced the buildup is that the Gravely mulch kit completely encloses each individual blade in a circular vacuum baffle. With nothing but rounded edges surrounding the blades there's really nowhere for the grass clippings to collect. Plus the mulch blade design inside the vacuum baffles force most of the clippings down and into the cut grass.

I can wholeheartedly recommend a mulch kit, along with heeling the deck, and there should not be any problem with buildup like you thought.

Fair enough, it was an older post. I just didnt understand if you had or hadnt actually heeled your deck at that time.

But thing is, you now have your deck heeled AND and mulch kit! Right!

Does the OP have a mulch kit? I dont think so! Mulching might work for you but it certainly wont work for everyone!

Im still struggling with this deck heeling thing on SD decks though. Some walk behind mowers (as far as I know) you change the deck height by putting spacers on the front casters. That will heel the deck if you cant adjust the drive wheels. In some case's, I dont think you can get around heeling. But we're talking about ride ons and I have to be honest, no way am I sold on it and there is no way I would recommend doing it.

Thing is, unless you change the pitch halfway through a mow, you wont really know if the cut has improved or not. Ive been there so many times its not funny! I'd add a mod to my deck, mow, think Ive fixed the issue. Next mow, It wasnt fixed at all. Had I added the mod half way through, I would of seen if there was a difference or not! Just recently I went and did just that on several customers lawns. Mowed half with one type of blade, the other with and different type of blade. It showed exactly if or what differences there were.
If you want to mess around with deck settings etc then thats what you need to do, to get a true idea if things are different or not.

Did you have a chance to talk with Gravely yet?

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Are Raptor SD blades level? (deck leveling question)
Fair enough, it was an older post. I just didnt understand if you had or hadnt actually heeled your deck at that time.

But thing is, you now have your deck heeled AND and mulch kit! Right!

Does the OP have a mulch kit? I dont think so! Mulching might work for you but it certainly wont work for everyone!

Im still struggling with this deck heeling thing on SD decks though. Some walk behind mowers (as far as I know) you change the deck height by putting spacers on the front casters. That will heel the deck if you cant adjust the drive wheels. In some case's, I dont think you can get around heeling. But we're talking about ride ons and I have to be honest, no way am I sold on it and there is no way I would recommend doing it.

Thing is, unless you change the pitch halfway through a mow, you wont really know if the cut has improved or not. Ive been there so many times its not funny! I'd add a mod to my deck, mow, think Ive fixed the issue. Next mow, It wasnt fixed at all. Had I added the mod half way through, I would of seen if there was a difference or not! Just recently I went and did just that on several customers lawns. Mowed half with one type of blade, the other with and different type of blade. It showed exactly if or what differences there were.
If you want to mess around with deck settings etc then thats what you need to do, to get a true idea if things are different or not.

Did you have a chance to talk with Gravely yet?

I emailed Ariens and they replied wanting me to call them 8AM-12PM tomorrow or Thursday to discuss my questions(rather than sending me a lengthy email). I'll post what I found out. Actually, to be honest....my Gravely dealer did not recommend that I heel the deck, but I wanted to try it anyway to see what the results were. Even though I'm pretty happy I may do like you said and try changing it halfway through mowing to see what the actual difference is. Again, I may wait to see what Ariens Customer Support advises me to do and find out what some of the detailed "cutting conditions" mentioned in my Owner Manual are. Like everybody, I'm wanting to get the very best cut quality that my ZTR can give.

Micko

Threads
I emailed Ariens and they replied wanting me to call them 8AM-12PM tomorrow or Thursday to discuss my questions(rather than sending me a lengthy email). I'll post what I found out. Actually, to be honest....my Gravely dealer did not recommend that I heel the deck, but I wanted to try it anyway to see what the results were. Even though I'm pretty happy I may do like you said and try changing it halfway through mowing to see what the actual difference is. Again, I may wait to see what Ariens Customer Support advises me to do and find out what some of the detailed "cutting conditions" mentioned in my Owner Manual are. Like everybody, I'm wanting to get the very best cut quality that my ZTR can give.

No worries at all buddy! I understand completely the want or "quest" of the best finish you can possibly get! I have spent countless hours, many dollars and even gone so far as cutting/modifying my deck myself. At one point it was even heeled, not by me but because of an oversight/slackness on someone I wont mention! I believe I now have things as good as I can get them but wow, what a struggle and even now, in certain conditions, Im still not happy. Thing is, the deck just didnt work for me in my area/conditions. Partially my fault as I didnt demo near enough before I bought the machine.

But yeah, an example would be I'd add a turbo baffle, do some cutting one day on a lawn and I'd think great, much better. But the next lawn would look cr@p. The next time that first lawn came around it would look like cr@p again so, any testing was wrong. Thats why, if doing any kind of testing, you should do it on the dame day, same lawn etc. Its the only way to really see if theres any difference! Growth, moisture content in the grass itself, moisture (dew) on the ground, time of day, temperature on the day and even wind will cause different results!

Pitching your deck for testing should be fairly simple, just use tire pressure! Lower the front, increase the back. Even if you put 20psi in the drives, it wont hurt for the sake of 15mins.

Anyway, I'd still like to hear what Gravely has to say about it.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
No worries at all buddy! I understand completely the want or "quest" of the best finish you can possibly get! I have spent countless hours, many dollars and even gone so far as cutting/modifying my deck myself. At one point it was even heeled, not by me but because of an oversight/slackness on someone I wont mention! I believe I now have things as good as I can get them but wow, what a struggle and even now, in certain conditions, Im still not happy. Thing is, the deck just didnt work for me in my area/conditions. Partially my fault as I didnt demo near enough before I bought the machine.

But yeah, an example would be I'd add a turbo baffle, do some cutting one day on a lawn and I'd think great, much better. But the next lawn would look cr@p. The next time that first lawn came around it would look like cr@p again so, any testing was wrong. Thats why, if doing any kind of testing, you should do it on the dame day, same lawn etc. Its the only way to really see if theres any difference! Growth, moisture content in the grass itself, moisture (dew) on the ground, time of day, temperature on the day and even wind will cause different results!

Pitching your deck for testing should be fairly simple, just use tire pressure! Lower the front, increase the back. Even if you put 20psi in the drives, it wont hurt for the sake of 15mins.

Anyway, I'd still like to hear what Gravely has to say about it.

OK, I talked to the Ariens CSR this morning(he actually worked on the R & D team that designed/tested the Gravely X-Factor deck...so I think he knew what he was talking about). The only time they really recommend heeling the deck is if you are cutting Bahia grass(mostly in Texas & Florida). As an aside....I have been trying to get my Gravely to stripe my lawn and I thought that heeling the deck would help. He told me..."maybe" if you were using the stock OEM hi-lift blades and side discharging. I've got a complete Gravely striping kit that consists of a rubber flap mounted to the rear edge of the deck and a hex roller mounted to the frame behind the rear tires. Since I have a mulch kit(vacuum baffles, discharge and mulching blades) he recommended that I set the deck pitch back to the normal front pitch for the best cut quality/mulching results. I have been cutting my grass(mostly fescue with some clover and a little crabgrass:0( at 2.5" and he advised me to raise the deck and cut it at 3" to get the pronounced stripes I am seeking. He said the remaining grass blades after cutting must be tall enough to bend(and stay bent) and that 3" was about the minimum to accomplish that. I always though that cutting my grass at a higher setting that 2.5" would make it look "uncut" when I was finished. But, my father-in-law cuts his 5 acre lawn(pretty decent fescue with very little "weeds") at 4" with a Kubota ZTR and I must admit it looks like a "green carpet" when he's done. The more I learn about this stuff the more I find out I didn't know:0)

I must admit, though, that I have an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder in regard to making my lawn look like a baseball outfield(or at least as good as many of my neighbors that pay $50-$75 a cut:0) I guess my next mission is to get rid of the crabgrass & weeds, re-seed with some preemo Kentucky Fescue seed, fertilize....dethatch and aereate:0)

Micko

Threads
OK, I talked to the Ariens CSR this morning(he actually worked on the R & D team that designed/tested the Gravely X-Factor deck...so I think he knew what he was talking about). The only time they really recommend heeling the deck is if you are cutting Bahia grass(mostly in Texas & Florida). As an aside....I have been trying to get my Gravely to stripe my lawn and I thought that heeling the deck would help. He told me..."maybe" if you were using the stock OEM hi-lift blades and side discharging. I've got a complete Gravely striping kit that consists of a rubber flap mounted to the rear edge of the deck and a hex roller mounted to the frame behind the rear tires. Since I have a mulch kit(vacuum baffles, discharge and mulching blades) he recommended that I set the deck pitch back to the normal front pitch for the best cut quality/mulching results. I have been cutting my grass(mostly fescue with some clover and a little crabgrass:0( at 2.5" and he advised me to raise the deck and cut it at 3" to get the pronounced stripes I am seeking. He said the remaining grass blades after cutting must be tall enough to bend(and stay bent) and that 3" was about the minimum to accomplish that. I always though that cutting my grass at a higher setting that 2.5" would make it look "uncut" when I was finished. But, my father-in-law cuts his 5 acre lawn(pretty decent fescue with very little "weeds") at 4" with a Kubota ZTR and I must admit it looks like a "green carpet" when he's done. The more I learn about this stuff the more I find out I didn't know:0)

I must admit, though, that I have an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder in regard to making my lawn look like a baseball outfield(or at least as good as many of my neighbors that pay $50-$75 a cut:0) I guess my next mission is to get rid of the crabgrass & weeds, re-seed with some preemo Kentucky Fescue seed, fertilize....dethatch and aereate:0)

So there you go, straight from the R&D guy from Gravely No need to heel the deck!
You didn mention you have the stripe kit installed when you said heeling the deck improved the stripes. How could you possibly come to the conclusion that it was heeling that improved the stripes?

I agree with that guy, raise your deck! You'll get more grass blade to catch the light! You'll get a nice finish but it may take a couple of weeks. Let the grass grow up to the deck, dont lower the deck to the grass! Over time, the grass will thicken up and get "trained" to lay that way. The more you run the same lines the quicker the grass will "learn" but you also run the risk of ruts but I would certainly do that for a while to speed up the process. Also, stripe in a way or direction so that the sun is coming from over your shoulder.

Im not even a striping expert but Ive been around long enough to have an idea whats involved. The longer the grass (blade) the greater the chance of good stripes! Simple as that!

I think your possibly listening to the wrong people on here about all this! I wonder how many guys on here intentionally heel the deck on the commercial zt rider! I bet its very few and they probably listened to the same advice you did!

The rep said they recommend heeling the deck for Bahia. Thats fine for a home owner who only mows Bahia. The commercial guy is not doing to mess with a deck just for Bahia when he has to contend with all the other varieties! Bahia is a pita to cut, Ive cut many acres of the stuff. No way would I change the deck just for that! Bahia has a tendency to bunch up in front of the deck with clippings from the previous cut, if the grass was long. If your deck doesnt have an adjustable baffle then sure, I can see where that would be handy heeling the deck. Some decks, maybe even yours you can raise the front baffle which will let those clippings in much better! No need to heel the deck then! But your not cutting Bahia!

My advice would be to listen to the Gravely rep.

As far as I know, you loved the cut initially. Everything youve done so far is to improve the stripes, right? In the end, I believe all you needed to do was raise the deck and use a stripe kit, and have some patience!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
You are right there is no need to heel the deck. I do it because it gives a better cut at a faster speed and it helps lay the grass down. He did not get the wrong advice on here. He learned how others do things. I have been doing lawn care for 30 years and told him what works best for me after years of doing many set ups.

My best stripes come from a grass height of 2 inches.

And don't keep mowing the same way every time you mow. You do not want to train the grass to lay down only one way.
And forget the sun it does not stay in the same place all day.

Sometimes people are like a horse with blinders on can only see what's in front of them.
Just because two people say to do things a different way does not make one right and the other wrong.

Micko

Threads
You are right there is no need to heel the deck. I do it because it gives a better cut at a faster speed and it helps lay the grass down. He did not get the wrong advice on here. He learned how others do things. I have been doing lawn care for 30 years and told him what works best for me after years of doing many set ups.

My best stripes come from a grass height of 2 inches.

And don't keep mowing the same way every time you mow. You do not want to train the grass to lay down only one way.
And forget the sun it does not stay in the same place all day.

Sometimes people are like a horse with blinders on can only see what's in front of them.
Just because two people say to do things a different way does not make one right and the other wrong.

Could you please give me some links to photos of your work. Ive seen a couple already, mainly using lawn tractors to mow over grown yards. But Im new here so no doubt Ive missed your good stuff!

Ok, your best strips come from cutting at 2". What machines are you using and what type of grass? Love to see some pics!

Yes, mowing in the same direction can or will cause ruts! I did say that! But to do it a couple of times to get started shouldnt hurt anything unless the ground is soft! But really, why not train the grass to lay one or 2 ways? What harm does that cause? None! But yes, mowing the same lines will rut, and thats the only problem you'd have. So yes, you should mix it up!

Not taking the sun into consideration is just, wrong! We're not talking ball parks here where they use reel mowers, were talking rotaries on normal yards. Everyone knows, for the the best stripe effect, you take the sun into account, if possible. Its the sun reflecting off the grass after all that shows the stripe at its best. If you want the best effect, use it to your advantage! The sun does move, east / west right. Well if you can mow in an east west direction one stripe will look "white" in the morning, in the afternoon it will be the green one! Actually, if your looking into the sun the stripe might not even show up!
There are exceptions to the rule like what time of year so mow in 4 directions or what ever!

No blinders here! Im all for experimentation and getting other ideas but any testing of that idea needs to be done in as controlled environment as possible. ie, mow half, change, mow other half on the same day otherwise you have nothing to go off!

Yes, people doing things differently doesnt make one right and the other wrong, but if the vast majority of people are doing it one way, even the manufactures of these machine, you'd think theres something to that.
Im happy for you that heeling the deck has worked for you but people are going to read that, go out to the machines and screw things up. If you mention heeling, you should also mention that you dont actually need to adjust the deck but can simple try it but messing with tire pressure. Anyone with the pressure gauge and a pump can do that easily! You should also mention that any testing should be done all on the same day and on the same grass!

At the end of the day djdicetn just wanted better stripes. Heeling the deck may help a little but he would of been better off leaving the deck alone (he was happy with the cut as far as I know) and sticking a stripe kit on it, raise the deck and thats about it. Sure, mess with baffles, blades etc but thats about all that should be needed.

Apologies to djdicetn. I dont mean to single you out, just using you as an example!

If anyone wants to know about stripes, here is a cut n paste from Scags website. Id say it pretty much confirms what Ive said about striping?403 Forbidden Its all the info you need!

IT'S ALL ABOUT DIRECTION!
lawn stripe - direction causes stripe effectThe direction that the grass is bent determines the "light" or "dark" colored stripe. When the blades of grass are bent away from you, the grass appears lighter in color because the light is reflecting off of the wide, lengthy part of the blade. When the blades of grass are bent towards you, the grass appears darker as you are looking more of the tips of the blades (a smaller reflective surface) and the shadows under the grass. So cutting a lawn in an opposing pattern (up/down, right/left, north/south, east/west etc) provides the most contrasting stripe effect. Interestingly, as the "color" of the stripe is dependant upon what direction you are looking at it from, a "light" colored stripe will appear "dark" if you view it from the opposing direction.

LAWN STRIPE INTENSITY
The easiest way to intensify the stripe is to bend the grass farther. The best way to do that is to physically contact it with a roller and press it to the ground. The Scag Tiger Striper does exactly that. In fact, it even uses spring force to bend the grass over. It is much more effective than other systems that simply glide a roller across the tips of the grass. Stripe intensity can also be affected by the length of cut. Cutting the grass shorter will normally lessen the stripe as the shorter grass blade will not bend over as far and therefore reflects less light. A longer cut will normally enhance the striping pattern. Even a small amount can make a noticeable difference. Going from 2" to 2.5" or from 3 " to 3.5" can make a difference in the lawn stripe pattern intensity.

Grass types are also a factor in striping. Certain breeds of grass will bend easier and can provide a better stripe pattern. Warm season grasses (found in the southern regions of the United States) are typically more difficult to stripe as they are more rigid and harder to bend.

The stripe is also affected by the position of the sun. Stripe patterns may seem more intense at various times of the day and in different light levels. When the sun is behind you, you will see a more intense stripe pattern.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Could you please give me some links to photos of your work. Ive seen a couple already, mainly using lawn tractors to mow over grown yards. But Im new here so no doubt Ive missed your good stuff! Ok, your best strips come from cutting at 2". What machines are you using and what type of grass? Love to see some pics! Yes, mowing in the same direction can or will cause ruts! I did say that! But to do it a couple of times to get started shouldnt hurt anything unless the ground is soft! But really, why not train the grass to lay one or 2 ways? What harm does that cause? None! But yes, mowing the same lines will rut, and thats the only problem you'd have. So yes, you should mix it up! Not taking the sun into consideration is just, wrong! We're not talking ball parks here where they use reel mowers, were talking rotaries on normal yards. Everyone knows, for the the best stripe effect, you take the sun into account, if possible. Its the sun reflecting off the grass after all that shows the stripe at its best. If you want the best effect, use it to your advantage! The sun does move, east / west right. Well if you can mow in an east west direction one stripe will look "white" in the morning, in the afternoon it will be the green one! Actually, if your looking into the sun the stripe might not even show up! There are exceptions to the rule like what time of year so mow in 4 directions or what ever! No blinders here! Im all for experimentation and getting other ideas but any testing of that idea needs to be done in as controlled environment as possible. ie, mow half, change, mow other half on the same day otherwise you have nothing to go off! Yes, people doing things differently doesnt make one right and the other wrong, but if the vast majority of people are doing it one way, even the manufactures of these machine, you'd think theres something to that. Im happy for you that heeling the deck has worked for you but people are going to read that, go out to the machines and screw things up. If you mention heeling, you should also mention that you dont actually need to adjust the deck but can simple try it but messing with tire pressure. Anyone with the pressure gauge and a pump can do that easily! You should also mention that any testing should be done all on the same day and on the same grass! At the end of the day djdicetn just wanted better stripes. Heeling the deck may help a little but he would of been better off leaving the deck alone (he was happy with the cut as far as I know) and sticking a stripe kit on it, raise the deck and thats about it. Sure, mess with baffles, blades etc but thats about all that should be needed. Apologies to djdicetn. I dont mean to single you out, just using you as an example! If anyone wants to know about stripes, here is a cut n paste from Scags website. Id say it pretty much confirms what Ive said about striping?403 Forbidden Its all the info you need! IT'S ALL ABOUT DIRECTION! lawn stripe - direction causes stripe effectThe direction that the grass is bent determines the "light" or "dark" colored stripe. When the blades of grass are bent away from you, the grass appears lighter in color because the light is reflecting off of the wide, lengthy part of the blade. When the blades of grass are bent towards you, the grass appears darker as you are looking more of the tips of the blades (a smaller reflective surface) and the shadows under the grass. So cutting a lawn in an opposing pattern (up/down, right/left, north/south, east/west etc) provides the most contrasting stripe effect. Interestingly, as the "color" of the stripe is dependant upon what direction you are looking at it from, a "light" colored stripe will appear "dark" if you view it from the opposing direction. LAWN STRIPE INTENSITY The easiest way to intensify the stripe is to bend the grass farther. The best way to do that is to physically contact it with a roller and press it to the ground. The Scag Tiger Striper does exactly that. In fact, it even uses spring force to bend the grass over. It is much more effective than other systems that simply glide a roller across the tips of the grass. Stripe intensity can also be affected by the length of cut. Cutting the grass shorter will normally lessen the stripe as the shorter grass blade will not bend over as far and therefore reflects less light. A longer cut will normally enhance the striping pattern. Even a small amount can make a noticeable difference. Going from 2" to 2.5" or from 3 " to 3.5" can make a difference in the lawn stripe pattern intensity. Grass types are also a factor in striping. Certain breeds of grass will bend easier and can provide a better stripe pattern. Warm season grasses (found in the southern regions of the United States) are typically more difficult to stripe as they are more rigid and harder to bend. The stripe is also affected by the position of the sun. Stripe patterns may seem more intense at various times of the day and in different light levels. When the sun is behind you, you will see a more intense stripe pattern.

That's good that you can read up on this.

Once you stripe a lawn the light and dark stripes will be there no matter where the sun is. They are even there at night.
You can read all you want about what the manufacturer tells you. They all claim to know best.

You might no know anyone that heels the deck but around here that's how we do it.
Even on the golf course we heeled the decks on the toro grounds master. That is where I learned to do it.

There are some brand mowers that the manual will tell you how to heel the deck.
People have been doing it for years and many on here have tried it and stayed with it.

I have plenty of pics from a few years ago.
When you can cut 4 foot tall weeds and stripe it let me know.

image-1235287262.jpg

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Snapper pro walk behind.

Heeled deck no kit
Gator blades

image-4032826057.jpg

Attachments

• image-2508000499.jpg
    image-2508000499.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 35
  • image-1121288544.jpg
    image-1121288544.jpg
    430.3 KB · Views: 28
  • image-2415797337.jpg