alternator id

SamB

Threads
Thank you,bertsmobile1. Since the stator isn't totally fried, as in a dead short circuit, I believe you may be correct in that it's running at near maximum output at or near 100% of the time. The battery a couple of years old and may be due for replacement. It's been my experience that mower batteries are a short-lived item, unlike auto batteries and difficult to load-test. Also, I shy away from "experts" on facebook. I'll watch a video to see how something comes apart, but most 'advice' is suspect , to say the least and sometimes downright dangerous!

Addendum:
I'm going to replace the existing old battery before Thursday's mow, to be on the safe side, what with the replaced stator and regulator. No point taking the chance of smoking the replacements!
Melted Stator update:
Bought a new battery for my mower and installed it before first mow with the new and updated stator and regulator. I had had the new battery hooked to one of my Shumacher Smart Charger overnight at 2 amps, so it was up without putting any undue strain on the new stator and regulator. Mower fired right up, voltmeter went to 13.1 v for a couple of seconds, then settled on 12.8V. Voltage stayed on 12. 6V +/- 12.6-.12.8V throughout the 2 hours of mow time with the electric blade PTO engaged (duh) and it started right up every time I had to dismount for any reason. Although I had wanted to upgrade the stator and regulator to higher amp output, the bad battery and toasted stator forced my hand. Bertsmobile1 was 100% right about the battery causing the stator slow burn meltdown. If you limp along with a weak or totally bad battery, it's a case of "pay me now or certainly pay me later" Caveat of "pay me later" is it's going to cost you more than just the battery.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank you for letting us know that you’ve solved your problem. Most times we never know if our time was worth your efforts.

SamB

Threads
If I could give you a definitive answer to that question I would be relaxing on my dream property in northern Wisconsin. I’ve never been able it was probably caused by $7(=.96@#. Maybe someone else can.

Thank you for letting us know that you’ve solved your problem. Most times we never know if our time was worth your efforts.
I totally cleaned the fins and underside of the flywheel while I had it apart, as per the advice of one of the learned posters here. I hesitate to use 'All Caps' so I'll refrain from it, BUT the knowledge and wisdom of several posters here is NOT to be taken lightly. My reply and thank you here deserves all caps. Posting back with results is one if not THE way to both thank the advisors and also validate their suggestions and possibly help others. "This forum isn't U-tube, these posters here KNOW what they are doing!" :)

Last edited: