42" vs 50" cut quality?

jay stortini

Threads
Question for anyone who runs both a 42" and a 50" zero turn. Which size deck has a nicer quality cut the 42" with two larger blades or the 50" with three smaller blades?
Thanks
Jay Stortini

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Question for anyone who runs both a 42" and a 50" zero turn. Which size deck has a nicer quality cut the 42" with two larger blades or the 50" with three smaller blades? Thanks Jay Stortini Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Ok here is my take in this.

The 3 blade deck gives a awesome cut but I have found that in thick and or wet grass the grass likes to clog up on the left side and every few mins drops a big clump of grass.
The 42 twin blade also gives a good cut and does better in thick grass and is better for uneven yards.

Now this all depends on what brand mowers you are talking about

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Question for anyone who runs both a 42" and a 50" zero turn. Which size deck has a nicer quality cut the 42" with two larger blades or the 50" with three smaller blades?
Thanks
Jay Stortini

Another consideration, if cutting large acreage and if time is important to you, is the difference in acres/hour between a 42" deck and a 50" deck.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks
Jay Stortini

When your talking about cut quality you need to be talking about Blade tip speed not the number of blades. If the mowers are both ztr's and BTS is the same for both mowers you'll probably see very little difference. The gain you will get will be with the productivity of the 50" because your cutting more grass than the 42"

jay stortini

Threads
I just figured maybe the bigger the blade the better the suction just like when you buy a fan the bigger the fan the more it blows! I guess this is not the case? I currently have a 30" toro it has two 15" blade and lays the grass down I want something that sucks it right up:)
Jay Stortini
PS I also herd that if blade tip speed is to high it could actually be a bad thing:/

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just figured maybe the bigger the blade the better the suction just like when you buy a fan the bigger the fan the more it blows! I guess this is not the case? I currently have a 30" toro it has two 15" blade and lays the grass down I want something that sucks it right up:)
Jay Stortini
PS I also herd that if blade tip speed is to high it could actually be a bad thing:/

What Toro 30" do you run, is it the Turfmaster?

jay stortini

Threads
No it's the time master! Great mower for getting around and maneuverability but not a great cut and I spray jig-a-loo under deck so I am not constantly cleaning it out after every cut:/

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
No it's the time master! Great mower for getting around and maneuverability but not a great cut and I spray jig-a-loo under deck so I am not constantly cleaning it out after every cut:/

I don't know why you wouldn't have an excellent cut with your TimeMaster, is the tension on the BBC adjusted right?

jay stortini

Threads
Bbc? The dealer put a tack on it and said that I don't want it any higher or I could run into problems that's after another lawn care cut in my area used some pliers to put a little more tension on the governor which helped a bit but still not fantastic:/