26hp Craftsman Gt Repower clutch problems

Boreasy2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Craftsman 26hp GT, Hydro, 48in deck, electric pto. I checked it(26hpELS) out and the left bank is failing fast. And the right is not much better, pretty greasy and dirty too. So I bought a 30HP briggs to repower. The engine removal from the tractor was pretty easy, they attached the motor to a mounting plate, with 4 bolts attaching that to the frame. How do you get the PTO off? I can't replace the motor with the new one until I get the PTO off the shaft so I can remove the engine mount plate. I got the long bolt out easy enough with a socket wrench locking the crank nut, and there is minimal rust visible. I tried smacking it with a hammer but its frozen. Any Ideas? HELP!

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Penetrating oil on the shaft what you can reach of it. may be able to hang the engine by the pto, to use gravity to your advantage.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Turn the engine upside down and thread the long bolt back into the crank halfway, leave off any washers. Hang the engine
with a chain or rope from the ceiling, round the clutch, then with a hammer, tap on the nut, and squirt lube into the hole and
keep tapping, it will break loose. If not, you can move up to smacking, but if you smack too hard, you will need to get a new bolt.

But, no worries, it will come off easy enough.

Boreasy2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I picked it up by the pto to move it into position. Then I tried to suspend it by the pto, the strap wouldn't budge so I jerked on the strap while pulling down and then it just let go narrowly missing my toes. Go figure. Thanks for the advice guys.

Boreasy2

Forum Newbie
Threads
The PTO is acting up and I can't fix it. I connected up everything right, but the PTO seems to spin when I engage it (switch) It tore the wires out of the connector, so I thought it may have been slack in the wires getting in the way, and I installed blade connectors and tried again, it tore the wires out of the PTO from spinning. I understand the idea behind the spinning shaft and the magnetic clutch engaging the deck drive pulley, but I don't get why it would spin. Any Idea's out there? Honestly the PTO was the nicest thing under the hood before the new engine. Help!

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
There should be a pin, rod, plate that the clutch bumps up to to prevent spinning the clutch. You are missing what ever it is that keeps the clutch from spinning with the crankshaft, or didn't get it installed correctly to capture the clutch.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, like he said.... There is usually a bracket with a notch to keep the clutch from spinning, but does allow for @ 1/2" of play.

Glad your tootsies are OK!!!!!!!

Boreasy2

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK! now I know what to look for anyway. After reading the responses, I looked at the exploded view. I think I may have put the thick washers on top and not under the idler plate. OOPS

Boreasy2

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK, So I got the plate installed correctly and clutch working as designed. then the 'v'idler pulley closest to the motor seized up. I tore it all down and replaced the bad pulley and installed a new drive belt, which by the way is a real chore. I put it all back together and let the wife take it out to mow the front yard- 30 minutes in there was a massive blowout of oil and smoke from the right lower side. we shut it down immediately. the motor didn't leak out any more oil after shut down that I could see, and still says ADD. So I guess it didn't loose that much oil, but still what a mess! Could it have been crankcase pressure not venting? Any Ideas?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is on the brand new engine?????