20 hp v-twin only runs on one cylinder

Beel61

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I have a 46" Murray Tractor with a 20hp v-twin........down on power.....checked the plugs and one was hot and one was cold......switched plugs...same side not firing.......pulled plug on that side.....have good spark....started it with that plug out and it appears to have good compression, or at least some.......So, I have spark....have compression......why would it only get fuel to one cylinder ? .any ideas ??? Thanks

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Pull the valve covers off and take a peek.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi, I have a 46" Murray Tractor with a 20hp v-twin........down on power.....checked the plugs and one was hot and one was cold......switched plugs...same side not firing.......pulled plug on that side.....have good spark....started it with that plug out and it appears to have good compression, or at least some.......So, I have spark....have compression......why would it only get fuel to one cylinder ? .any ideas ??? Thanks

Good spark and good compression. Just how did to test for these two things? You did test for spark under compression and checked compression with a leak down test, right?? I agree you might want to pull the valve cover and take a peek if you can get to it easy. There just are no short cuts. The only reason you would get lean fuel to one cylinder would be a vacuum leak.

Beel61

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did some research and found this engine has 2 carbs, so I am guessing...one carb must be plugged up.....????

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just take off the valve covers. The gasket usually stays on the cover, so it will cost you nothing, and will save you a bunch of money.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
4 bolts on each cover......... Might take you 15 minutes..........

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
No wait, I can sell you the carb!!!! Which one do you want???

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Did some research and found this engine has 2 carbs, so I am guessing...one carb must be plugged up.....????

Yes that is very possible. Two intake manifolds also ? Check the needle valve in that carburetor.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Lol, yes!!!! One of the rare Murrayghinis, racing mowers!!!!!!!! Not quite as fast as the MTD Testerosa!!!!!!

Well, to be any help at all, he should put up some model numbers!!!!

briggs

Threads
please post model number of engine i got to see this beast