2 Briggs V-Twin questions

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
My parts distributor show the 699732 and the 792296 both as valid numbers and both in stock. So they haven't superceded one to the other yet.

Certain parts lists say 792296 (replaces 699732.)

See item #117 here:

http://www.partstree.com/parts/brig...c-starter/carburetor-kit-carburetor-overhaul/

Strange. But, then again, fitting.........

I would still like to know the numbers stamped onto the jets themselves.
That info is not available on the information super highway.
I guess I'll just have to purchase 1 of each to find out.....

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just got off the phone with a B&S Platinum dealer.
He was on his "Power Portal" and saw the 2 jet setup for my engine, but without any date code reference.

I was discussing the "used before or after date code 04080300) regarding the jet system.
He said my engine came with the 2 jet setup from the factory, per hes diagram.
Date code didn't matter.

I recounted the info off the Partstree sheet referenced earlier regarding the date code and the parts used before and after that date code,
and he flatly rejected such a notion! He indicated that his parts list was gospel, and that is that!
He would not accept the old 1 jet, black transfer tube setup being used on my engine. Period.

I pretty much give up.
I'm going to buy 2 new jets and put the larger jet on the #1 cylinder and go mulch some leaves...............

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
They used two different carb part numbers depending on date code, and the old carb now supercedes to the carb with the newer date code. My parts page should be the same as his parts page, because Briggs uses 1 company to distribute nationwide. the carb used on the earlier date code is a single jet carb so he is not looking at the entire parts page. And both carbs are shown on the same page of the IPL.

It also looks like the engines in your series. The 446777 engines below type number 1188 use 699732 jet and the engines above that number use the 792296 jet so it will probably supercede to the other number like you indicated when the current stock runs out. Right now my distributor is showing 473 of the 699732 and around 347 of the 792296 so it may be awhile.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for all your help.................you and everybody else!

Whew! I'm tired of typin'..............

Last edited:

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
As the ultimate test, after installing the jets in the manner I stated, I'll run the engine and perform a comparative temperature test on the 2 cylinders.

That oughta tell the tale.......

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
My dyt 4000 Craftsman cyl #1 pushed an exh guide early on so I started looking at head and oil temps as many on this forum know. Cyl #2 has never given any problem , 2004 model , umpteen hours. Cyl # 1 head replaced once and gasket a second time. Head temp at plug measured 305F in summer with bagger. Oil temp always ramped to 280f-295F on gauge, even with oil cooler and fan (fan not optimized). BTW the improved Intek in my new Husky "seems" cooler-separate thread.

The jet numbers you ref remind me of a side draft Weber DCOE carb I had for years. The Intek numbers are very close to the metric 115 mains in the Weber . I suppose you know that is probably .115 mm which is a tenth of .039" or about .004" (check me). The difference between 115 and 118 is thus very small indeed. No one has mentioned the abrasive effects of gasoline which opens the jet orifices. On such a primitive engine it is hard to imagine heat difference that would affect the integrity of the engine as compared to improper oil , level, clogged fins etc.

Maybe this blather will inject new life into this interesting thread. Please tell me where I have gone wrong.:rolleyes: Bring all counts of pushed guides and which cylinder. Don't hear any plug color read differences.....?????

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't know how B&S identifies their carb jet sizes, but here is a Decimal Equivalents chart, Wire gauge-Letter Metric Fractional chart.
If in fact the numbers 114, 118 and so forth indicate the jet size then I think that these numbers are interpreted as 1.14 MM
The only B&S carb jet that I have in my stash is for an 8 HP single cylinder Intek with a Nikki carb that is on my wood chipper. This jet has a part number, but it will pass a # 65 drill bit(.0350") thru it but a # 64 drill bit(.0360") will not go thru it.
With this in mind, as the Nikki carb on the 446700 engine is two single barrel carbs combined into one housing, then the individual jets will be larger and in the 1.15-1.20 MM range.
Mad Mackie is going to have another adult beverage and then retire from this thread!!!

Attachments

• Decmal Equivalents page 1.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • Decmal Equivalents page 2.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 5

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
From what I have drug out of the mud on some other forums, the jet sizes are in the neighborhood of .042 and .044

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
My dyt 4000 Craftsman cyl #1 pushed an exh guide early on so I started looking at head and oil temps as many on this forum know. Cyl #2 has never given any problem , 2004 model , umpteen hours. Cyl # 1 head replaced once and gasket a second time. Head temp at plug measured 305F in summer with bagger. Oil temp always ramped to 280f-295F on gauge, even with oil cooler and fan (fan not optimized). BTW the improved Intek in my new Husky "seems" cooler-separate thread.

The jet numbers you ref remind me of a side draft Weber DCOE carb I had for years. The Intek numbers are very close to the metric 115 mains in the Weber . I suppose you know that is probably .115 mm which is a tenth of .039" or about .004" (check me). The difference between 115 and 118 is thus very small indeed. No one has mentioned the abrasive effects of gasoline which opens the jet orifices. On such a primitive engine it is hard to imagine heat difference that would affect the integrity of the engine as compared to improper oil , level, clogged fins etc.

Maybe this blather will inject new life into this interesting thread. Please tell me where I have gone wrong.:rolleyes: Bring all counts of pushed guides and which cylinder. Don't hear any plug color read differences.....?????

Gotta be a reason for the 2 different sizes.
As indicated before, my Yamaha V-Twin had a leaner jet for the front cyl, which received fresh cooling air, and a richer jet for the rear cyl, which received cooling air that had been heated by the front cyl.
I do not conceive a similar rationale for the Intek, as the horizontal cyl configuration pretty much assures both cyls a fresh supply of air.

The only notion that I can begin to accept is that cyl #2, being lower than cyl #1, has a longer intake runner. I'm not exactly sure as to why that requires a tad richer mixture, but it is the only thing I can see.

Maybe if a B&S engineer ever calls, I can get some answers and return to a peaceful night's sleep.....

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't know how B&S identifies their carb jet sizes, but here is a Decimal Equivalents chart, Wire gauge-Letter Metric Fractional chart.
If in fact the numbers 114, 118 and so forth indicate the jet size then I think that these numbers are interpreted as 1.14 MM
The only B&S carb jet that I have in my stash is for an 8 HP single cylinder Intek with a Nikki carb that is on my wood chipper. This jet has a part number, but it will pass a # 65 drill bit(.0350") thru it but a # 64 drill bit(.0360") will not go thru it.
With this in mind, as the Nikki carb on the 446700 engine is two single barrel carbs combined into one housing, then the individual jets will be larger and in the 1.15-1.20 MM range.
Mad Mackie is going to have another adult beverage and then retire from this thread!!!

My preferred adult beverage is Yuengling Traditional Lager......

From what I have drug out of the mud on some other forums, the jet sizes are in the neighborhood of .042 and .044

Both make some sense.
Thanks!