2 Briggs V-Twin questions

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just got off the phone with my distributor tech support. and was told take the tube that the jets fit in. It has two small holes and two big holes. turn the piece so that the small holes face your chest, the big jet goes in the left side.

Gotcha, thanks.

But, this all may be for naught, as according to my engine's date code, both jets should be the same part # 630232.
Sure wish I could find out what size THAT one is.............
But, mine definitely has 2 different jets, but no telling who had done what to it in the past...........

I gotta go for a bicycle ride to clear my head..

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If the carb had been replaced in the past if could of been superceded to the newer two different jet carb.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the carb had been replaced in the past if could of been superceded to the newer two different jet carb.

That is, of course, a possibility.

I finally received rationale for 2 different jets:
Since the #2 cyl is lower, the intake runner to it is longer, having a downward section to get to the lower intake port.
That is what necessitates a slightly richer mixture.

As B&S engineers saw fit to make a design change, something that usually does not happen for no reason, I would
think that it would behoove me to go with different jets.
Now that I know which one goes where and why, I now need to decide on what sizes to use.

As I previously stated, mine are sizes 111 and 114.
The new jets appear to be 114 and 118, but that relies on pictures on websites that I do not know if I should rely on or not.
Would I see an increase n performance with slightly larger jets, or is the airflow calibrated for the original jets?

Sometimes it is hell being inside my head......just like Sheldon Cooper!
I tend to overthink things sometimes (is anyone surprised??)

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Tech guy just called me back after doing more research and found the rule of thumb is the small number jet always goes to the left in the emulsion tube, and don't worry about what cylinder it corresponds with. And at this point I am not sure if that may be the opposite I was told earlier. My tech guy pulled both jets off the shelf to examine them. And it appears the smaller number jet in this case may be the larger jet.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

That apparently IS the situation, as jet #690232 is a SCREW IN jet, that is used on the older single-jet carb.

Now. everything is starting to make sense.

It is becoming more apparent that my carb has been changed,
but now I enter into the size quandary............

I guess I'll use the ones that came out of the carb and hope for the best.
Or, I do have a 1 jet carb. Maybe switch back?
My engine is hard to start with the carb that is on it.
Maybe the older one would be better?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would install the new jets as many Intek/ELS twin engines had early failures do to the plastic intake manifold warping and leaking, leaking around the carb air horn that connects to the air filter housing and possibly too lean fuel/air mixture from incorrect carb jetting.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Tech guy just called me back after doing more research and found the rule of thumb is the small number jet always goes to the left in the emulsion tube, and don't worry about what cylinder it corresponds with. And at this point I am not sure if that may be the opposite I was told earlier. My tech guy pulled both jets off the shelf to examine them. And it appears the smaller number jet in this case may be the larger jet.

Well, isn't that kinda silly, depending on which way the carb is pointed ?
Or, is he falling back to his previously stated emulsion tube orientation?

His prior statement had the larger jet for the #2 cyl, and that makes sense to me.

Now, he has again thrown a wrench into the works.

Did your guy give you those jet #'s perchance?

However, the previously linked vid indicates jet size increases as the jet # increases.

I don't know how .003 or so difference is discernible with the nude eye....

According to the parts diagrams, the left jet is not #792296, which is a #118
The right jet is the old # 699733 which is a #114.

That is how I intend to proceed........

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It looks like the only thing that can be confirmed at this point is the part number of the jets are 699732 and 699733 and the 699732 goes on the left side and the 699733 goes on the right. And I think between the two conversations I have with him, I think what he told me the first time is not the same as he told me the second time. And I have always been lead to believe that the larger number on a jet corresponded to a larger jet size. So we now know left from right, but don't know if the 699732 is the small jet or the big one.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
It looks like the only thing that can be confirmed at this point is the part number of the jets are 699732 and 699733 and the 699732 goes on the left side and the 699733 goes on the right. And I think between the two conversations I have with him, I think what he told me the first time is not the same as he told me the second time. And I have always been lead to believe that the larger number on a jet corresponded to a larger jet size. So we now know left from right, but don't know if the 699732 is the small jet or the big one.

That is correct....almost.
699732 has been superseded by p/n 792296.

I do not know the jet #'s (111, 114,118 etc) but, from what I can find, the 792296 is #118 and the right jet, 699733 is #114.
I have not found a # for the old 699732.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
My parts distributor show the 699732 and the 792296 both as valid numbers and both in stock. So they haven't superceded one to the other yet.