1995 John Deere Sabre plowing/mowing

mgmine

Threads
If you don't get a lot of snow a mower would be fine. But if you get say 8" then give it up. A blower is better than a plow because a mower doesn't have the power to plow through deep snow. But given the cost of a blower or a plow, you would be better off putting that money into a snow blower either new or used. If you ever have a need for a real plow then get a 4 wheeler especially if you plan on doing city driveways with little room of the sides.

Mrmahovy

Forum Newbie
Threads
What’s the pros and cons of a blower instead of a plow? Wouldn’t the plow be more reliable And cheaper?
Have used both. Con with plow is finding room to push snow to with multiple snows.
With a blower you’re throwing the snow out away from drive/walkway. Found blower much faster, also. Pro with plow is with small accumulation you can clear it off, sometimes blower won’t pick it up. Also wet sloppy snow doesn’t work well with blower, but plow works fine. Blower can get into corners or ends of drive easily. Plow needs room for tractor to get turn or back into. Sometimes backblading doesn’t work if snow has a frozen crust on it. Blower can work its way into it all the way to, let’s say a garage door. Belts and maintenance on blower is a consideration also. But can be offset with wear and tear on tractor. Blower can handle larger snowfalls easier also.
I’d go with blower. Switched over 17 yrs ago after fighting with plow issues for 5 yrs. Have never considered going back to a plow here in Michigan.

SamB

Threads
What’s the pros and cons of a blower instead of a plow? Wouldn’t the plow be more reliable And cheaper?
The pro's of using a blower/thrower is you are moving about and you also have a smaller "footprint" not needing so much room to turn, etc. One of the con's of using a blade and it's a big one, you will get cold! Another con is snow will build up and get very hard to push. The blower will throw it way out of your path. I had a plow blade for my Snapper RER and used it one time and sold it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
very important is to have a back up ( or 2 ) because the first time some one calls you to clear their drive & you can not because your machine is down for repair will be the last time they call you.
life is tough & mean
yard work is very competative
So get some old gear, learn how to fix them before you start to offer a service that you can not fulfil
forget about the logo till you have a strong customer base
You might think about something funny like a ride on throwing snow from the deck & a blower cutting grass

Threads
very important is to have a back up ( or 2 ) because the first time some one calls you to clear their drive & you can not because your machine is down for repair will be the last time they call you.
life is tough & mean
yard work is very competative
So get some old gear, learn how to fix them before you start to offer a service that you can not fulfil
forget about the logo till you have a strong customer base
You might think about something funny like a ride on throwing snow from the deck & a blower cutting grass
I already know how to work on stuff. I made over $500 this summer fixing up free push mowers and weed whackers. That logo idea is probably a good idea.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
you need to know YOUR machines so you can avoid breakdown or do quick on site repairs.
you need a full set of consumables at home ( blades & belts ) if not 2 sets .
several of my customers start each day with a freshly sharpened blade set, it does make a difference .
As mentioned in your previous thread, worrying about a business name & logo now is putting the cart before the horse.
And every one has green stripy bits with their name on it
So go for something that is different & will stick in peoples minds
So for instance with the silly idea above a name like "Whats Up ?" or "facebook hero"

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I already know how to work on stuff. I made over $500 this summer fixing up free push mowers and weed whackers. That logo idea is probably a good idea.
Before or after expenses? I gross just $30,000 but netted only $8,000. And that before re-investments and what measly pay I end up after end of the year taxes. At least my home is paid for except the $800 in taxes every year. Not counting other expenses. And you can't live off your parents forever.

Threads
Before, but almost all of them ran or just needed a carb clean which is technically free to me besides the $5 can and my time. I also needed to buy like 2 spark plugs which was $3 a piece. I had to sharpen 2 blades which I had to pay $10 since the guy at ace was super nice and asked why I wanted to get them sharpened and I told him I fix up lawn mowers and he said instead of $12 a piece he would charge $5 a piece and when I went there the next week to pick them up with my dad he said that I am a very smart young man trying to make money and he said my dad taught me well and I should keep it up. Now every time I go there he always ask how its going and if I needed anything from his department.

so that price was from before expencice but it was pretty close to my profit since everything was free.

I even sold a weed whacker within 2 hours of picking it up. The lady messaged me earlier that week but the one she asked about wasn’t big enough then when I got the other one I messaged her and she came and bought it

Threads
my family said I had the secret touch because a few people threw out there “non working“ stuff and I would go to start it and it would start but some would run a little rough so they would need work.

My first lawn mower ran good but the bolt to take off the blade was stripped out so I kinda regret it but I painted the blade and used a wire brush to scratch the edges to make it look sharp. When the guy came he didn’t know how to start a lawnmower and I showed him then he asked about the self propelled so I showed him and he ran into a tree. Then he shoved it into the back seat of a small Toyota Carola. And I was asking $120 but he gave me $140 and I didn’t realize until 1hour later