1990 MTD 2 stage model #319550 motor replacement?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / 1990 MTD 2 stage model #319550 motor replacement?
Oregon carried some aftermarket Chinese carbs that fit Tecumseh for a year or so, but they dropped them for some reason. I would guess that the reason was quality,
just like the junk Chinese starters that are sold everywhere. So you want to make sure that the new carb is actually "Tecumseh" made, otherwise just go through the old carb.

Sounds like the O.P. could just be fine with a quick jet cleaning and/or choke cable adjustment, and of course carb readjustment...

If it runs that good, he would be crazy to try to replace it, as that old Tecumseh is better made than anything he could buy today!!!!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The carb he will need for that engine is an adjustable carb, which means if the OP does not know how to adjust carbs he will need to have a mechanic look at it anyway. Also, most carbs are not returnable if purchased on line. Cost of rebuilding a carb varies greatly because of a variety of carbs, on/off engine, condition of carb and experience of the mechanic. Cost in our shop for cleaning and rebuilding carb ranges between $60-100, depending on the unit. If I only have the carb, it would cost about $25 + parts. In that case I would not be making the final adjustments.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
The carb he will need for that engine is an adjustable carb, which means if the OP does not know how to adjust carbs he will need to have a mechanic look at it anyway. Also, most carbs are not returnable if purchased on line. Cost of rebuilding a carb varies greatly because of a variety of carbs, on/off engine, condition of carb and experience of the mechanic. Cost in our shop for cleaning and rebuilding carb ranges between $60-100, depending on the unit. If I only have the carb, it would cost about $25 + parts. In that case I would not be making the final adjustments.

A new carb is not adjustable (I believe they can't make those anymore) therefore it would not need adjustments so he's looking at 60-100 to rebuild a carb vs 85 for a new one. My old tecumseh I replaced carb I believe it was 60 and 2 bolts. That being said it is rather nice to have an adjustable carb so that needs to be taken into consideration as well hard choice I guess if the shop guarenteed the work I would take you just the carb to get rebuilt and cleaned because that adjustment is nice as the new carbs generally run to lean. I'll go with rivets here

charley95

Threads
A new carb is not adjustable (I believe they can't make those anymore) therefore it would not need adjustments so he's looking at 60-100 to rebuild a carb vs 85 for a new one. My old tecumseh I replaced carb I believe it was 60 and 2 bolts. That being said it is rather nice to have an adjustable carb so that needs to be taken into consideration as well hard choice I guess if the shop guarenteed the work I would take you just the carb to get rebuilt and cleaned because that adjustment is nice as the new carbs generally run to lean. I'll go with rivets here

This is good to know. I'm more automotive inclined and never liked messing with carbs. I figured a replacement would not have the older style adjustments due to the enviro-police. I would guess if a original Tecumseh made would be chinese also? I'm glad I still have a well made engine. It's too bad we can't buy quality parts anymore,it's sure this way in the automotive business.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is good to know. I'm more automotive inclined and never liked messing with carbs. I figured a replacement would not have the older style adjustments due to the enviro-police. I would guess if a original Tecumseh made would be chinese also? I'm glad I still have a well made engine. It's too bad we can't buy quality parts anymore,it's sure this way in the automotive business.

I think original is American it is an old American company

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most Tecumseh replacements parts are produced CPC (Certified Parts Corporation) in Janesville Wisconsin. They purchased most of the Tecumseh-Lausen line when Tecumseh stopped producing engines in 2008. It is my understanding that they are looking at producing a tecumseh engine in the future.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a 17.5hp Tecumseh on my rally mud mower. I have beat the crap out of this engine running wide open 80% of the time
It just keeps going I have blown up a few briggs in less than half the abuse. Thinking of putting it on a rer snapper.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Many of the original adjustable carbs are still available. They are not superseded to a nonadjustable carb. If the OP would post the spec number for his engine,, I would be able to tell if an adjustable carb is available.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Many of the original adjustable carbs are still available. They are not superseded to a nonadjustable carb. If the OP would post the spec number for his engine,, I would be able to tell if an adjustable carb is available.

Man I wish one was available for my old sno throw lol my old one was not rebuildable it was so coroded that all the parts were rusted together couldn't even get the needle out of the hole

charley95

Threads

Thanks! Here are the engine #'s I have,

HS 50 67267H SER 8270B