1990 MTD 2 stage model #319550 motor replacement?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / 1990 MTD 2 stage model #319550 motor replacement?
Nice sarcasm, but someday you might realize I'm not just another pretty face around here. Stick to your race cars and landscaping, both things you really know about.

I'm the pretty face around here :) nothing else to contribute to this convo just needed to lighten the mood lol

charley95

Threads
Personally I would not put a new engine on a unit that is 23 years old. I would tell you that the odds are not in your favor that you will get your money out of that engine. I would recommend that if you are serious about repowering, there are tons of good old Tecumseh Snow King engines out there which will do the job for you. Right now you probably have a H, HH, or HM engine on your unit. Ex: HM50. The 50 means 5hp. You can use a 70 or 80 with no problem. Just my opinion.

The manual says the motor is a HS-50 snow king. I'm thinking carb. needs serviced. ex. hard starting,won't idle at low setting
Used for 4 hours solid yesterday and used no oil, so I'm hoping motor is still good?

charley95

Threads
You are on the right track, find a shop that either has an ultrasonic cleaner or uses a carb bath. After cleaning, Have them replace all parts with a rebuild kit. This manual might help you, if you decide to do any of the work yourself.

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Tec...P-4-CYCLE-L-HEAD-FLAT-HEAD-ENGINES-692509.pdf

Thanks for the tip. Probably have the shop tackle the carb. All other misc. parts I can handle myself. Do you recommend my mower parts for replacement parts?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
99% of the time I recommend getting parts at your local repair shop. They will look up the part numbers, order them, install if you want and will take them back if someone looks up the wrong number.

charley95

Threads
99% of the time I recommend getting parts at your local repair shop. They will look up the part numbers, order them, install if you want and will take them back if someone looks up the wrong number.

Thanks for your help. Are the replacement carbs. any good? I don't mind purchasing a new one and installing myself, I just never liked rebuilding carbs. All of the other stuff I don't mind tackling.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for your help. Are the replacement carbs. any good? I don't mind purchasing a new one and installing myself, I just never liked rebuilding carbs. All of the other stuff I don't mind tackling.

That's kinda how I feel ....because new is new

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads

Going new is always the best way. Look on eBay

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
New carb will probably run you around $75 + shipping. As mechanic in a dealership I always try to repair any carb costing more that $50. Remember, I have to use a different set of rules than the landscape mechanics.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
New carb will probably run you around $75 + shipping. As mechanic in a dealership I always try to repair any carb costing more that $50. Remember, I have to use a different set of rules than the landscape mechanics.

And that's all good but can you guarentee the same functionality and longevity or life vs new and what would he be looking at for price of cleaning and rebuild plus labor you said new was 75+shipping so well say 85 vs your quote just out of curiosity. If there was only 10 to 20 dollar difference I personally would just by myself a new one that way I know what I am starting with and knowing I can take care of it I could make it last but that's just me.