Suzuki-powered Push Mower

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I bought a Toro push mower with a two-stroke Suzuki 47PG6 engine. According so some online research I did, it was manufactured in 1987.

I don't have a model number for the mower because it was labeled with a decal at the back of the deck but the decal is gone.

It took quite a bit of messing with the fuel system (the crud in the carb was hardened :eek: ) but it now runs great. It's the most powerful push mower I've ever come across. Wet, tall grass is no problem.

It's on the heavy side -- heavier than my 1970s vintage Lawn-boy mowers. I've been using it for rugged, uneven areas. It seems to be built to take a lot of abuse.

Here's a photo (without the air filter):

toro-2.jpg

If anybody else has one of these I'd like to hear from you. Does anybody know the model number (it's not self-propelled)?

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think that this engine wanted to be on a motorcycle. :cool2:

When it found itself mounted on a mower it was angry :mad: but resolved to be the most powerful lawnmower engine.

When it sees tall grass that would frighten any four-stroke mower, it tears into it with zeal.

Here's another photo with Go-Go in the background:

toro-3.jpg

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Update:

I've had El Toro about six weeks now. When I got it the carb was about the worst I've seen: clogged with some hardened gunk that was tough to remove. The fuel filter was clogged and I didn't have one handy so I just replaced the fuel line (no filter) and cleaned out the tank.

It ran fine for a few weeks then started surging. I cleaned the carb again and installed a fuel filter (and a fuel valve, which it didn't have for some reason).

It's running just fine again. This mower can often substitute for my walk-behind brush mower (pictured below) -- which is really nice because that thing is a 300 pound behemoth. :eek:

Billy-1.jpg

jamesslcx

Threads
Love those old mowers, you have a keeper.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Love those old mowers, you have a keeper.

Have you had one? I'm hoping that someone else on LMF has experience with one of these.

Another Update:

I've grown to really appreciate a feature that didn't seem like much when I first got the mower. The handle has a brace (on both sides) where it attaches to the deck. This creates a "triangle" which is much stronger than a single-point attachment. So when I'm mowing on rough, uneven terrain, the mower handles much better since there's no flex between the handle and the deck. It's also much less likely to bend or break in that area.

Notice the metal brace (silver in color) connecting the handle and the deck below:

toro-5.jpg

jamesslcx

Threads
Hi Two -Stroke, the one I have is a little newer than yours with a Briggs four stroke, very similar though. These old mowers mow great and last forever! I have several newer push mowers , low end and high end and I seem to enjoy the Toro the best. Take care.

hanyoukimura

Threads
That is a cool old Toro. I may have to keep an eye out for one.

lakeviewpe

Threads
The model of your mower I believe is a 22025, with that specified engine. You may want to hold onto that in case you need parts, it will make it easier to look up. The suzuki's were the best out there, too bad the EPA doesn't like them. The engine parts for that are higher just because they don't sell the mowers with them anymore.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
The model of your mower I believe is a 22025, with that specified engine. You may want to hold onto that in case you need parts, it will make it easier to look up. The suzuki's were the best out there, too bad the EPA doesn't like them. The engine parts for that are higher just because they don't sell the mowers with them anymore.

Thanks for the model number, lakeviewpe. I have been able to order some basic parts (air & fuel filters) by using the engine model number.

It came up in another thread that Toro made a side-discharge mower with the Suzuki engine. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for one of those.

I also found a photo of a commercial Jacobsen with this series Suzuki engine. Do you know if any other manufacturers used these? I think the good news is that, if the engines aren't all that rare, it won't be too hard to get parts in the future.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
For the last couple weekends I've used the Toro primarily for leaf pickup. It's the first time I've used the bag.

Here's what it looks like with the bag mounted.

toro-7.jpg

The bagging system is very well designed. It's easy to empty -- two choices: (1) You can roll the mower to a spot where you're willing to dump the stuff and just lift the lower part of the bag. It all falls out and it a very quick operation. (2) Dismount the bag (not quite as easy as #1), then you can dump the stuff into a container.