The Daily Yardman Thread

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Actually not much mal wear that is mac specific.
Usually written for Word and gets in that way , or windows media player, or Java or worst of all Flash.
Apple have done 11 security updates in the past 5 years for my OS of which I only needed to install 2 of them ( because it run Linux)
The main computer runs Linux which is great as the instant any mal wear is found we get alerted and a patch is generally posted in a few hours.
The old Macs, run mac OS but no one writes mal wear for OS 9.5 or 10.1
As for phones you are spot on
No body sees their phone for what it is, a computer that can make phone calls.
Then they load it up with all sorts of "convienent" apps and finally connect to Farce Book then wonder why they get robbed, their car vanishes and they find $ 100,000 missing from their bank account.
The difference between apple computer & apple phones is the computers are around 08% of the PC market so a very small target but the I phone is 56% of the market so worth the effort to hack, although Android is a lot easier because it is so poorly written.
IF people had any idea how vunerable their phones are, Blackburry would be No1 and not in recievership.

If you run no Microsloth softwear on a mac then you have very little chance of coming to grief, but that is no excuse for being lazy. And the computer will run better a well.
Back in the 90's my Quadra ran 24/7 for 3 years without a single crash and there was 3 of us using it, the secret , no microsloth apps on it and no Norton apps on it.

OTOH a customer who worked for IBM got tossed out for getting too friendly with his divisional managers PA so he left with no payout.
He ended up being asked by friends to come & fix their computer "bugs".
This was in the early days of wi-fi and eventually he started up a company installing & monitoring home wi-fi networks, for professionals who worked from home and via myself models & photographers.
HE sold this business for $ 5,000,000 after 3 years, bought a block of appartments on the Gold Coast ( our Maimi ) and retired at 39.
Sitting on his balcony on around level 20, he fired up his PC and did a wi-fi network scan.
The machine ran for better then 10 minutes and came up with dozens of pages of available networks then he showed me how easy it was to connect into them.
Thus all of my network has wires and always will.
I ride with a computer security expert (He suggested running Linux ) who up untill this year did not own a smart phone and now that the last old network has been shut down has a modified phone with an external sim card reader which he pulls out when he does not need to be contactable.
That tells me a lot about network security.
His home network is all fibre except the encripted microwave link from the workshop here to his house.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Re: Four-Foot T-8 LED replacement lamps

Oh! The 120 VAC direct wired ones are cheaper!

https://www.lightup.com/4ft-t8/shopby/ledcompatibility-direct_wired.html

Now I'm down to $175.50

Rog

Rog,
Buy a couple and try them
Remember to take out the starters first.
That is what I run in my shop.
Like you I had a lot of twin , triple & quadruple tube fluros that came from office refurbs.
Now the tubes I used can only be run as a single in multi tube fixtures unless you do some major rewiring.
So I tried them with just 1 tube and they were all great with just the single tube.
Better light than a 4 tube fluro from a single LED.
Over the lathe, blade, sharpener & grinders I do have some old long arm desk lamps and these are now fitted with CRE LED's.
And again I will never go back to the halogens, good strong white light, no flicker, no strobe, no heat.
Next trick will be to put a battery in there and go solar with auto switching

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

Got the permit and the inspection was done about 1 hour later!

----------------------------It PASSED !!--------------------------------
Turns out that the inspector lives in my neighborhood. and is a fellow ham radio operator and a gun collector to boot!!
I have made a new friend!
And he never muttered 1 word about the recent building project............

Now, on to the power company to dig the trench and run the lines.
I LOVE it when a plan comes together........

Last edited:

NorthBama

Threads

Turns out that the inspector lives in my neighborhood. and is a fellow ham radio operator and a gun collector to boot!!

Bow, onto the power company to dig the trench and run the lines.

That is good news hope the project goes well

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

Bow, onto the power company to dig the trench and run the lines.

AWESOME news Ron

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Now, on to the power company to dig the trench and run the lines.

Good show Ron!

I've always said, "It isn't 'what' you know, it's 'WHO' you know!"

A town I used to do a lot of work in had an old blister for their inspector, but he was also a bee keeper, so we had something in common and I always got along great with him.

Rog

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

That happens because some thing is tieing up the processors time.
Usually it is something trivial like a bad web page script trying to force your computer to play an advertisement.
However if it happens a lot it can also be malwear.
next time it happens, try to dissconnect from the web . If the problem goes away then it is a bad script or something searching through your computers hard drive.

Bert-Man,

It happened again this morning the first time I logged into this site. I was able to shut it down and log in again and now it's working fine.

I don't even own a cell phone and Becky only has an old flip phone, no apps..

We do not do any personal financial work on the computer beyond ordering something and paying with a credit card, and I consider that exposure bad enough.

I (like you) enjoy the friends I've made on the Internet, otherwise I'd give it up completely except for doing research and ordering stuff, which I could do from a separate account with additional safeguards... But........

When the 'net' was young, I was able to find many of my old shipmates and that alone made it worthwhile. I have had reunions with dozens of them over the years. In fact one of them is on his way here this morning from NY. He will be leaving from CT today as he went there yesterday to finalize a deal with a boat yard near the sub-base in New London. He has two sports fishing boats, (a 36' Henriques and a 40' Ocean Yacht). He is going to store the Ocean Yacht in New London at a boat yard that will provide him with inside storage and will allow him to do his own work on his boat. He's retired Navy, so he can overnight at the military motels that can be found near most bases. He stayed in New London last night and should be up here by noon today. The neighbor and I are going out to haul traps at 10:30 (High Tide) and should be back in by lunchtime with fresh lobsters. It doesn't get any better than that, right?

Roger

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Oct. 3, 2017

Todays wildass guess at the number of views this thread will have received by mid-night on Oct. 31 - is 104,722.

That number is an increase of 441 over yesterday's estimate, which gives us an average increase of 340 views per day over the past six days.

If we multiply 340 times the remaining 29 days until our deadline and then add that figure to the current number of views this morning, then our estimate jumps to 106,262!

That would indicate that the threads 'readership' is increasing exponentially rather than linearly, and Boo may yet be right with his magical 111,111..

Still, the whole thing boggles the mind.. We've got less than ten guys who contribute here on anything resembling a 'regular' basis, yet for some reason there are hundreds more reading it all.. Either the lives of the contributors are very interesting to read about (for who knows what reason!!) or else there are a lot of readers out there that ought to get a life of their own.. (Which means they ought to contribute something of interest to this thread!)

Just my two-cents worth..

Roger

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wood working question...

This is for you guys in the Southeastern part of the Country.

Years ago, (like 18) I bought some rough sawn cypress lumber from a saw mill in NC. My intention at the time was to build a Japanese style Tansu cabinet: https://www.themine.com/accent-cabi...D_BwE&ef_id=WdNluQAABKigrgVd:20171003110741:s

The Japanese traditionally used a type of wood for these cabinets that I thought resembled cypress, so I bought some.

It has been racked up in the overhead of our garage ever since.

One of the grand daughters wanted a curio cabinet for her birthday, so I thought, "good chance to use up some of that cypress!"

Building it was easy enough, but then without really thinking I applied a coat of urethane, only to discover it won't dry! I know that cypress is an 'oily' wood that won't rot, but I didn't realize that the 'oil' would prevent urethane from drying!

I have had the case hanging over our boiler for the last four days, we've had the heat on for two days - (low 40's in the AM with highs in the low 60's and high 50's) - and the boiler provides our domestic hot water anyway, hoping that would help dry it. This morning it feels pretty good, I like the color of the wood, but I don't dare to apply another coat of urethane. (Her B-Day is the 10th!) So my plan is to sand the exterior of the cabinet and then apply a coat of Butchers wax (Bowling Alley wax) and just buff that out.

Have any of you guys worked with cypress and if so do you have any suggestions.. ?? I really need some help here..

Roger

PS. Sorry about all the other crap in the picture, but I hang my fishing gear here to dry as well.

Attachments

• DSCN2063_929.jpg
    DSCN2063_929.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 6

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

side note, your boiler uses circulater pumps for zone valves.........